What's new

Mark II to be a world winner: DRDO

Only for the plains and deserts can Arjun be useful and when you come to a bridge which cannot take Arjun's weight what will you do??
Arjun has been built for ops in the plains and deserts only, not for mountain warfare, for crying out loud!! :cheesy:

What bridges are you talking about? In battle, you generally lay your own bridges. The DRDO has developed a wheel based universal bridging system to overcome obstacles or varied nature capable of carrying MLC-70 traffic. It features state of the art trestle-cum-span bridge. A single span bridge can cover a width of 15 to 20 meters and a multi-span bridge can cover upto 100 meters, providing a roadway of 4 meters. The bridge could be launched/recovered from either end in 15 to 20 minutes.

Where the Arjun Regiments are deployed and where required to be switched from one theater to the other, all bridges are now Cl 70 and can easily handle the Arjuns. In addition, there are adequate rakes available with the railways too, for quick movement of these regiments to their battle areas.

So mobility is not an issue at all.

Cheers!

Mark 2 is heavy. But it isn't that much you think.
Every tank formation carry a portable bridge with them and those portable bridges have carried Arjun successfully in Past :D so nothing to guess
Dude those bridges are for small obstacles mate.. not for Sutlej, Ravi and Chenab!
map.gif

Arjun has been built for ops in the plains and deserts only, not for mountain warfare, for crying out loud!! :cheesy:
thats what I meant, it is meant for only those areas.. then why expect very big orders when DRDO knew that Army will not buy it en mass..

What bridges are you talking about? In battle, you generally lay your own bridges. The DRDO has developed a wheel based universal bridging system to overcome obstacles or varied nature capable of carrying MLC-70 traffic. It features state of the art trestle-cum-span bridge. A single span bridge can cover a width of 15 to 20 meters and a multi-span bridge can cover upto 100 meters, providing a roadway of 4 meters. The bridge could be launched/recovered from either end in 15 to 20 minutes.
The bridges which can cover 100 meters are they inducted into the army now? Any links you have?
Where the Arjun Regiments are deployed and where required to be switched from one theater to the other, all bridges are now Cl 70 and can easily handle the Arjuns. In addition, there are adequate rakes available with the railways too, for quick movement of these regiments to their battle areas.
So mobility is not an issue at all.
Apart from ground mobility, they are difficult to airlift too.. Which bridges are you talking about?

Dude those bridges are for small obstacles mate.. not for Sutlej, Ravi and Chenab!
map.gif
hahaha :D you won't give up :D are we planning the assault right through river basin ??? Geography of terrain is definatly considered in planning. If in case of attack we are going to need a 100m it will be there with tanks in peace time itself
Ok. These bridges can be joined together for increased length. I have seen 50m long composite bridge. Read post 16 he has written in detail.
Plus we will see a heli portable composite bridge late this year or early next year - 15m

Old article: "http://www.military-today.com/engineering/arjun_blt.htm"

hahaha :D you won't give up :D are we planning the assault right through river basin ??? Geography of terrain is definatly considered in planning. If in case of attack we are going to need a 100m it will be there with tanks in peace time itself
Ok. These bridges can be joined together for increased length. I have seen 50m long composite bridge. Read post 16 he has written in detail.
Plus we will see a heli portable composite bridge late this year or early next year - 15m

Old article: "http://www.military-today.com/engineering/arjun_blt.htm"

I saw that link but it is 24/26 meter only.. If you have can you provide me a link for that 100m, cause before all this I wanted to find some information but could not :(

I saw that link but it is 24/26 meter only.. If you have can you provide me a link for that 100m, cause before all this I wanted to find some information but could not :(
Well that article is also old. If you want more information these is one defence PSU in Pune. They develope the bridges. I see one of the 50m in last Nov/Dec when there was a exhibition of defence equipment in Pune. I don't have any link but it might have been covered in TOI. So better luck finding it

If you have seen how they lay the bridge you will get the idea how long they can make one.

we need good tanks to change T-55, T-72., Ajeya-Vijeya etc.

Is it okay in mountain terrains? what about the bridges which are not meant to take that weight?

the suspension of the tank is designed in such a way that the overall pressure per sqr. feet will be very low. Plus bridges are not weak that they cannot uphold 55 tons of weight. even a Roadroler weighs 20-25 tons easily.

And in hilly region the same problems will be faced by the enemy force. Finally Tanks are not to climb peaks.

the suspension of the tank is designed in such a way that the overall pressure per sqr. feet will be very low. Plus bridges are not weak that they cannot uphold 55 tons of weight. even a Roadroler weighs 20-25 tons easily.
The terrain is more rough than normal off-roads.. I know about the Overall pressure per sqr. which helps in weight distribution but not the total weight.. which will effect the whole bridge.. I wanted to know how many bridges have been made to MLC-70 standard..

This was one of the reasons the IA is still not very enthusiastic to induct in large numbers.. they are eagerly looking into FMBT..

And in hilly region the same problems will be faced by the enemy force. Finally Tanks are not to climb peaks.
That's why we use T-90S...

Some sources are quoting it above 55 tons too... it looks that it will be above 55 tons and much heavier than T-90s (less than 50 tons)

with more Armour and equipment Mk2 is bound to have 60 plus tons weight

and they will be using a bridge to handle at max 70 tons (MLC-70) seems cutting it too close.. Im not sure that this close a difference is allowed.. Im not sure, can someone comment?

The terrain is more rough than normal off-roads.. I know about the Overall pressure per sqr. which helps in weight distribution but not the total weight.. which will effect the whole bridge.. I wanted to know how many bridges have been made to MLC-70 standard..

This was one of the reasons the IA is still not very enthusiastic to induct in large numbers.. they are eagerly looking into FMBT..

the IA was not interested because it could not be carried on goods train. In hilly region if you go, you will see how those bridges are built. That is not the problem .
The problem is its range, its fire control and maneuvering mechanism.

MK-2 isn't Armour addition. Definatly equipment load is increased but it won't be touching 60 tonnes.
It's definatly over 50 tonnes. We will have to wait till the official announcement but Mark-2 weight is around 52/54 Tonnes.

the IA was not interested because it could not be carried on goods train. In hilly region if you go, you will see how those bridges are built. That is not the problem .
The problem is its range, its fire control and maneuvering mechanism.

That's the only problem IA is putting forward. But I think we will see the new Train carriers for Arjun
If you don't know Mark-1 test results , Arjun outrun and out gun T-90s. T-72 shells bounce away from the Mark-1 Armour. In running and night hit competition Mark-1 defeat T-90 with clear lead

Karthik ABL supports Every vehicle in service with IA,including Arjun MBT. Its one of the widest bridges in the world

and they will be using a bridge to handle at max 70 tons (MLC-70) seems cutting it too close.. Im not sure that this close a difference is allowed.. Im not sure, can someone comment?
I have seen 4/5 Bridge layers being transported on NH-4 on road carriers last month. Surprisingly they were 3layers unlike the image in below link which has 2 layers. Try to measure the length before the centry shoo us off. It was more than 10m
Arjun BLT Armored Bridgelayer | Military-Today.com

Karthik ABL supports Every vehicle in service with IA,including Arjun MBT. Its one of the widest bridges in the world
Do you have a image of it ???

Back
Top Bottom