What's new

Malaysia Malay anti China riot

Agree, they should just immigrate to Singapore/ Taiwan/ Hong Kong/mainland China or even Japan/other East Asian countries who are far more welcoming/open than Malaysia. After all, Singaporean Chinese separated themselves from Malaysia for a good reason i believe. Look today how powerful/wealthy/successful they are, compared to the mother country Malaysia who is still far more backward than small city state singapore(they have almost same GDP despite Singapore being a small city state with a far smaller population. lol

So i agree with Nihonji, Chinese Malaysian should just immigrate to Singapore and other sinosphere country in E.asia, then watch what Malaysia becomes, maybe the next Bangladesh/Pakistan of the region.:rofl:

Hi @mike2000 is back ,

Precisely, its one's right to move to a more conducive environment if he or she is under duress in current environment. Its just the way of life, and the transitory nature of people. Take for example in the late 19th century, there were some 30 to 50 thousand Chinese from Guangdong who moved from China to Japan to work in Japanese industry in those days as Japan was industrializing. Why did they move to Japan? They moved to Japan because of greater opportunities in Japan at the time compared to late 19th century Imperial China. The very same reason why during the late 19th century and very early 20th century some 100,000 Japanese migrated to the United States territories of Hawaii, and California --- to look for greater opportunities abroad. The very same reason why in the early 20th century some up to 200,000 Japanese migrated to South American countries of Brazil, Peru, Argentina -- to look for greater opportunities. And now there are over 2-3 million ethnic Japanese that live in South America, alone.

Why the very reason why there are Chinese Malaysians in the first place is because they were brought to the area by the British to work and as well as to escape the poverty stricken China in the 19th century. The Chinese Malaysians are product of said transitory migrant workers in the first place. So it would be not unnatural for Chinese Malaysians migrating again abroad to find greener pastures, so to say. I mean, their ancestors did it, why can't they?

Regards,

Natives feel threatened by that rabbit-like growing Chinese population then a naturally growing Chinese influence, that can be said for many other countries in region :D

I think it really depends on the integrative policies of the host country. For Malaysia, they don't really have an integrative policy as compared to say the Thais , or the Indonesians and the Filipinos. In these three countries, the immigrant is expected to integrate , assimilate into the host country.

In Thailand, for example, it is by Thai Law that any immigrant must take up a Thai name. So for Chinese immigrants to Thailand they will have to adopt a Thai name, speak Thai language. For example a Chinese with a surname of 'Lee' will convert his name into Thai, to say: Leedhanachok or Leedhanachoke. A Chinese surname of 'Song' would be converted to Thai as: Songathana , or a Chinese surname of 'Chou' would be converted to Thai as: Chouchaichopan or the like.

From my studies and my technical understanding the same happened in the Philippines where Chinese immigrants to that country had adopted Hispanic surnames or tried to make their Chinese surnames sound "Hispanic", lol.
  • Tan would be converted to Tantoco
  • Lim would be converted to Limchaco
  • Ong would be converted to Ong-canto
  • Liao would be converted to Liaosento
  • Koh would be converted to Koko
  • Huang could be converted to Huangko

There will be a day when China is powerful enough to not care what the rest of the World thinks of them and they will use incidences of violence and persecution against ethnic Chinese as a pretext to intervene militarily, and occupy that country or instill a Government that is Chinese-friendly. That day has not yet arrived but these anti-China barbarians, in places like Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, etc., better watch themselves because that day WILL come.

LMAO.......You want to become like the U.S/WEST/or even Russia which you criticize day and night for intervening in other countries and protecting their interests?? lool:cheesy:

I disagree.
If the so-called native cannot accept the legal new comer (whether recently or migrate here long time ago), it will never solve the problem. You will still look different compare to them.
Look at what happened in Indonesia in 1997.

For example, let's say you are pure Japanese with all English name (including surname); if you live in USA 100 years ago when Japan attacked Pearl Harbour, you seriously think you will be fine? I think you get my point.

BTW, back to the topic, racism (and religion) is an issue in Malaysia where Politicians from various parties take this as advantage. The people need to change. There is also got good Malay, so i wouldn't say Malay are racist and others are not. I'm not include religion into the equation because it will make the issue a lot more complex.

I think it really depends on the integrative policies of the host country. For Malaysia, they don't really have an integrative policy as compared to say the Thais , or the Indonesians and the Filipinos. In these three countries, the immigrant is expected to integrate , assimilate into the host country.

I disagree.
If the so-called native cannot accept the legal new comer (whether recently or migrate here long time ago), it will never solve the problem. You will still look different compare to them.
Look at what happened in Indonesia in 1997.

Precisely what I said. Its not just about just the name, but an integrative process. The Malaysian Government, since inception, has not adopted an aggressive integrative policy because they have maintained ethnic division and placed importance on just the Malay identity or Malay rights through Bumiputra.

This is what differentiates Malaysia from say Thailand or the Philippines, the latter has more evident integrative policies.

Precisely what I said. Its not just about just the name, but an integrative process. The Malaysian Government, since inception, has not adopted an aggressive integrative policy because they have maintained ethnic division and placed importance on just the Malay identity or Malay rights through Bumiputra.

This is what differentiates Malaysia from say Thailand or the Philippines, the latter has more evident integrative policies.
Its pretty funny because they accuse the British divide and rule in our school textbook. And some accuse servants of British refusing to serve the Malays.

Hi @mike2000 is back ,

In Thailand, for example, it is by Thai Law that any immigrant must take up a Thai name. So for Chinese immigrants to Thailand they will have to adopt a Thai name, speak Thai language. For example a Chinese with a surname of 'Lee' will convert his name into Thai, to say: Leedhanachok or Leedhanachoke. A Chinese surname of 'Song' would be converted to Thai as: Songathana , or a Chinese surname of 'Chou' would be converted to Thai as: Chouchaichopan or the like.

From my studies and my technical understanding the same happened in the Philippines where Chinese immigrants to that country had adopted Hispanic surnames or tried to make their Chinese surnames sound "Hispanic", lol.

Chinese migrants here can keep their Chinese name, as well as having their Indonesian name like the current governor of Jakarta. but for most of them mix between the Western and Indonesian name, like : Billy Hardikusuma.

actually, in Indonesia the assimilation is not as much as it is. the Chinese migrants prefer to be assimilated by their own choice, while some are prefer to be "Chinese". not as a Mainlander Chinese, but to differentiate between them and the natives, as it seems to be to the Natives POV. one example is the Chinese in the city of Medan, North Sumatra. they seems to gather mostly with their Chinese friends, and rarely seen in group with fellow natives. whatever is that means, i have no idea. but it's quite well known Nation-Wide that Chinese in Medan is quite arrogant than other Chinese in other places. the most friendly Chinese (in my experience) would be the ones from Java and Bali. mostly in larger city like Jakarta or Bandung.

the integrated Chinese choose the ethnic names based on the place they lived though. a chinese living in Bandung would adopt Sundanese names. for exampe Wang Mi Ing to Asep or Wong Kam Fui to Ujang, quite unlike the examples you posted.

I disagree.
Look at what happened in Indonesia in 1997

@70U63

while i don't deny the incident that's happened, the Natives were the ones whos dead. you might want to check it again.

May 1998 riots of Indonesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also some Overseas Chinese are posting fake pictures in hope to fuel the Hate. it also in the wiki, but lemme post it here.

False pictures circulated of the riots[edit]
Many graphic photos of other riots happening in Indonesia such as the Maluku sectarian conflict in Ambon, killings of Islamic clerics and suspected witches in Banyuwangi, massacres of Madurese Muslims in Kalimantan at the hands of Dayaks and Malays during the Sambas riots and Sampit conflict, 2000 Walisongo school massacre in Sulawesi were mislabeled as Chinese victims from the May 1998 riots and circulated around the Chinese internet.

Many false pictures of alleged Chinese rape victims were circulated on the internet.[40][41] Overseas Chinese led a internet based campaign with some fake photos and testimonies of the rapes to raise awareness about the riots.[42]

Fake pictures of Chinese women getting gang raped were actually from East Timor, a gory photo exhibit, and a **** website.[43][44][45][46][47][48][49]

Pictures of East Timorese women tortured by the Indonesian military were mislabeled as Chinese gang rape victims by overseas Chinese, and fake testimonies were also spread around.[50][51]

Fake pictures taken from the website "Sexy Asian Schoolgirls" dated to December 4, 1997, were also mislabeled as Chinese gang rape victims.[52][53][54] The website was a **** site.[55]

Some Chinese Indonesians were furious at overseas Chinese websites spreading fake rape photos, warning that it was causing hatred and division against ethnic Chinese in Indonesia.[56] Many Islamic Indonesians reacted angrily at an alleged rape testimony allegedly by a girl under the name "Vivi" which claimed that the rapists allegedly shouted "Allahu Akbar" which was falsely portraying the riot as a religious issue.[44] The "Beijing Review" warned of a "backlash" against Chinese because of the fake rape photos.[57]

Charles A. Coppel pointed out the hypocrisy of people trying to separate all the other violence in Indonesia and zoom in on specific anti-Chinese violence noting that the same people did not speak about the sexual assaults on East Timorese women and Acehnese women and that some of the violence against Chinese may not have been motivated by ethnicity but religion and class, like attacks on Chinese Christian Churches due to religion and attacks on Chinese employers due to working conditions and were not motivated by race.[58]

Last edited:

I understand your point but I don't think so.

For example, let's say you are pure Japanese with all English name (including surname); if you live in USA 100 years ago when Japan attacked Pearl Harbour, you seriously think you will be fine? I think you get my point.

That's the thing that differentiates Japanese. We endure what is unendurable, we even served in the US military despite being placed in detention camps. Japanese integrate and assimilate wherever we go. In fact we rarely riot; in Japan and abroad.THAT is the Japanese Spirit.

:)

The title should read anti-Chinese riot as it has nothing to do with China.

Should be renamed to "Business Riot". As its based on that, and Malay perception of racism on part of the Chinese.

I hope Malays are not like this towards other East Asians such as Japanese because we can move our investments to more hospitable areas. Say : Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam.

Malaysia should seriously keep this race-tension in check.

Should be renamed to "Business Riot". As its based on that, and Malay perception of racism on part of the Chinese.

I hope Malays are not like this towards other East Asians such as Japanese because we can move our investments to more hospitable areas. Say : Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam.

Malaysia should seriously keep this race-tension in check.
They can't, unless they eject out all the Nazi's from the political party which is risky because the popular vote is too low.

They can't, unless they eject out all the Nazi's from the political party to maintain a majority.

What do you mean 'nazis' ? Surely there can be no Malay 'Nazi' ? The latter is oxymoronical.

What do you mean 'nazis' ? Surely there can be no Malay 'Nazi' ? The latter is oxymoronical.
Perkasa, and some individual such as Ali Tinju are extreme right-wing. I thought i gave you to read some articles written by them.

Some of them even want to eject Chinese out.

Perkasa, and some individual such as Ali Tinju are extreme right-wing. I thought i gave you to read some articles written by them.

Some of them even want to eject Chinese out.

That kind of thinking is as unreal as it is impractical. The Chinese make up 1/3rd of the Malaysian population. Whether they like it or not, the 'Cina' are there to stay. Just implement better integrative policies.

I've been to the Philippines numerous times and I can say that the Filipino-Chinese or "Inchik Pilpino" are integrated with the native Filipino population, even seen with great respect. In fact being Chinese or having Chinese ancestry in the Philippines carries a sense of respect, or an automatic correlation with wealth and social clout.

Not aversion.

Back
Top Bottom