What's new

Making the case for a global ban on privately-owned personal transport cars and two-wheelers

I didn't entirely disagree with you there. Point was that those countries have a much superior public transport system to what we have here in India for now, to put in very mildly :P

Agreed.

Some of my friends are in those places and earning good but don't want to buy cars, in Singapore, particularly, they disincentivize cars by imposing a parking tax which is almost equal to the cost of the car itself if I'm not wrong.

Wow ! I had read that a Singaporean minister had told Elon Musk something like that those Tesla cars are a costly lifestyle additions to some people's lives and are otherwise useless.

It must be said, though, that the Delhi metro etc have been brilliant and a real boon to people. I know a lot of people who own vehicles but prefer to take those to work because it helps avoid the horrible peak hour jams and saves them the hassle of looking for parking in many cases, good for environmental reasons too. Winter's coming, Delhi will choke again :/

Well, the Delhi metro as also the other hurriedly constructed metro systems in India in the last decade are unnecessary and unscientific complications ( with separately built infrastructure and wastage of resources ) on top of the already existing chaos in the country. The government could very simply have abolished privately-owned personal cars and two-wheelers and increased the number and efficiency of of public buses and taxis which would be running on the same old roads. No need for the new, separate infrastructure like for metro. But unfortunately scientific thinking is not present in India whether for transport or for neighborhood construction or food production or employment.

Uber and taxis are fine but sometimes you just want your own transport and do as you please, go where you wish etc.. I personally don't like being dependent on someone else for anything if I can do it myself.

Well, if you want to do an occasional long drive in the evening with your beloved you should have the facility to hire an Uber and self-drive or perhaps request for a female driver for psychological comfort. And if you want to go on a trip you should be able to do something similar.

And why not ? And you have a motorcycle in your profile-pic.

1635150260991.png

Well, one other reason that the middle class and aspiring middle class buys a car is because of its perceived upscale social status in "neo-rich" societies like India and China, and I believe in Pakistan because of non-existence or unsafe public transport ( buses or autorickshaws ).
That safety aspect I mentioned.

After banning private owned cars and bikes govts will have to provide transport services in every corner of their countries. Whether a small village or a distant town.

Public transport and private ride sharing companies are only sustainable when working in big cities/financial hubs if we are talking about developing world.

Govts especially of developing/low income regions (South Asia for example) cannot provide public transport in every corner, same is the case with private companies like Uber. It's financially impossible and and not viable. Less population + more poverty will result in less people using services and thus a wide gap between income and expanses of that specific transport service. It will be impossible for govt or a private entity to keep running this service.

I am all for public transport and use it as often as I can. I even use trains instead of flights or my own car for longer journeys. I am middle aged and find it frustrating when I see people in their 20s shying away from the 'inconvenience' of public transport. We have become too soft. Big SUVs, small egos. Outwardly Royal Enfield machismo and in real only bravado.

Having said that, I don't think aerial vehicles are the solution. We Indians cause enough accidents and near misses with grounded vehicles, I shudder to think what will happen if people can move in any direction they want. They will go berserk. The solution is to improve walkability, last mile connectivity and safety. Many people do not take public transport because of encroached or non existent walking space. The footpaths in my city have missing slabs where one can fall into a sewer, or are usurped by street food vendors who litter the space. In the past in many social media groups I have advocated taking public transport and I always get ridiculed or trolled by people who give the above reasons.

For last mile connectivity also the situation is terrible. Auto rickshaw drivers form gangs at hotspots and it is impossible to get them to ride at the legal fare. It is shameful that the government doesn't curb this. We don't need hitech solutions. We just need the government to do what it is supposed to do in the first place - well lit spaces, remove encroachments and repair walkways, curb rickshaw mafia. This will not make people move to public transport en-masse, but will definitely help. For the softies who insist on taking their 7 seater SUV out for 500 metres to get a haircut, the only solution is heavy taxation.

Make a rickshaw app like Uber or Careem.

Make a rickshaw app like Uber or Careem.
Uber and Ola (Indian) already cover rickshaws in big cities. However, some drivers are too lazy and will switch off their app and accumulate at busy junctions where they can cartelize with other drivers and refuse to ply on legal fares. I don't want to generalize, but cabbies are better behaved but not always the best solution for last mile drops. Railway stations, bus stands, metro stations etc see plenty such behaviour.

What's your objection to the idea ? Like I mentioned in the OP such a thing is already part of the plan for a planned city in Saudia and a planned district of a city in China.

After banning private owned cars and bikes govts will have to provide transport services in every corner of their countries. Whether a small village or a distant town.

Public transport and private ride sharing companies are only sustainable when working in big cities/financial hubs if we are talking about developing world.

Govts especially of developing/low income regions (South Asia for example) cannot provide public transport in every corner

But don't the hundreds of millions of private citizens in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh collectively have the money to buy personal cars and two-wheelers ? :) That money is at some level the nation's money. Compared to the military budgets of India and Pakistan it would be not a major thing for the governments to purchase a huge number of 40-seater buses and taxis.

Smaller vehicles like Tempo Traveller or Tata Winger should be used for last mile connectivity. These are quite common in interior Turkey and are called Dolmus. Regulate the fares strictly. How difficult is it? The problem is of will, not of options.

On the other hand, we shouldn't be tied to low fares. Let the fares be realistic and self sustaining. It will cause initial hardship for poorer people, but eventually things adjust. Companies should pay higher transport allowance to their employees as well. After all billions of dollars of funding needs to trickle down. It is sick that CEOs/VPs/Directors take home millions in salaries and then want to deny Rs 1000 increase in transport allowance to their receptionist. Our low cost culture is our bane and its high time the minimum wages and salaries were increased and enforced properly. It will lead to overall increase in the cost structure in Indian companies, but so be it. Penny pinching Indian mindset has run its course. Higher salaries across the board will lead to more spending and better tax collection.

What's your objection to the idea ? Like I mentioned in the OP such a thing is already part of the plan for a planned city in Saudia and a planned district of a city in China.

But don't the hundreds of millions of private citizens in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh collectively have the money to buy personal cars and two-wheelers ? :) That money is at some level the nation's money. Compared to the military budgets of India and Pakistan it would be not a major thing for the governments to purchase a huge number of 40-seater buses and taxis.
bhai i go every other day to places where there is no road even . i like to drive in desert/far away natural sandy beaches/jungles . i love it to do alone . how can i go there then ?

Agreed.

Wow ! I had read that a Singaporean minister had told Elon Musk something like that those Tesla cars are a costly lifestyle additions to some people's lives and are otherwise useless.

Well, the Delhi metro as also the other hurriedly constructed metro systems in India in the last decade are unnecessary and unscientific complications ( with separately built infrastructure and wastage of resources ) on top of the already existing chaos in the country. The government could very simply have abolished privately-owned personal cars and two-wheelers and increased the number and efficiency of of public buses and taxis which would be running on the same old roads. No need for the new, separate infrastructure like for metro. But unfortunately scientific thinking is not present in India whether for transport or for neighborhood construction or food production or employment.

Well, if you want to do an occasional long drive in the evening with your beloved you should have the facility to hire an Uber and self-drive or perhaps request for a female driver for psychological comfort. And if you want to go on a trip you should be able to do something similar.

And why not ? And you have a motorcycle in your profile-pic.
Brother i am being mean here. I am crazy about these machines. This is my only hobby left.

Riding specially biking is way much fun and helps u to keep a good active social life.

can you go 100s of kms by walk ?
Agree. Total ban is neither possible nor desirable. In smaller towns and semi rural areas, places are far apart and buses are infrequent. One can't keep waiting at a desolate place on the road for hours for a bus to arrive or to even be stranded late at night. Rural areas do not suffer from so much congestion either. It is the cities which have the biggest problem. Moreover we can't kill an entire industry that employs so many people directly and indirectly. Solutions to congestion and pollution can co-exist with private vehicle ownership IMHO

Agree. Total ban is neither possible nor desirable. In smaller towns and semi rural areas, places are far apart and buses are infrequent. One can't keep waiting at a desolate place on the road for hours for a bus to arrive or to even be stranded late at night. Rural areas do not suffer from so much congestion either. It is the cities which have the biggest problem. Moreover we can't kill an entire industry that employs so many people directly and indirectly. Solutions to congestion and pollution can co-exist with private vehicle ownership IMHO
for cities its ok but whole world did not live in cities

Delusional and non realistic imaginations. Its a dumb idea that will do more harm then good.
Can u imagine the sheer size of public transport required for a country like india if u ban private owned vehicles? The manufacturing and operations of such a massive fleet wont affect environment? Also what about 24/7 service and what about far flung areas? Commies are mostly delusional and no wonder they failed miserably.

Back
Top Bottom