What's new

MAKING HALAL OF THE INDIAN CONSTITUTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
By calling me a "sell out" you assumed that I am a hindu. Curious, because I have not specified my religious beliefs on this forum, ever.

It is a common but empty retort of the intellectually hollow, to call the other person's perfectly sensible point as "politically correct rant" and so on. If you are not interested in it, why bother responding?

Bharatanatyam was not a dance "performed for the gods" - that shows a lot of ignorance on your part. And even if it was (which it wasnt), it's origins are irrelevant, because today it is a lot more than simply a religious ritual, which it never was. Carnatic music was indeed performed for the gods initially, but people of all faiths enjoy and practice it today, from KJ Yesudas to many other luminaries.

Bharatanatyam's origins were a dedication to the elements, especially the primordial element of fire. But more than that, it is a tradition that goes all the way back to Bharata's Natyashastra, the pre eminent text on dance ever written. It was mostly an adaptation of the 'Kaisiki' style. There is a LOT, a helluva lot of theory about bharatanathyam, about the interplay between Nritta, Nritya and Natya. It is philosophical, transcendent, spiritual, universal, aesthetic, and a lot more things.

Other classical dance forms have also been adopted by christians. For example, there are Kathakalis performed depicting the life of Jesus of Nazareth. Such synchronicity and assimilation may be beyond you, but not beyond some of us.

Your reducing it into "It was a dance for the gods" is quite characterestic of the ignorant right wingers who classify everything as hindu or non hindu, religious or irreligious, ours versus theirs and so on.

actually it is...
bharatnatyam and all other dances which are there have some religious connection....though it is not followed now...
bharatnatyam was originally only be performed by the devdasis...the woman who gave to worldy life and live a life of celibacy in worship of god...
it was performed to please the lord shiva.....every morning....and then then the daily ritual were performed....

Bharatanatyam is one of the oldest and best known classical dance styles of the Indian Subcontinent. Formerly it was performed by temple dancers (Devadasis) during religious services in the temple. Only from the 18th century the dance style from the States of Tamilnadu and Karnataka became known asBharatanatyam. Bharatanatyam stands for: Bhava (emotion), Raga (melody), Tala (rhythm), Natya (dancing and acting).

Bharatanatyam is a body language which conveys to the audience the performer‘s emotions as well as those of the represented characters. The dance style is a synthesis of rhythmic dancing technique and acting. Typical are the graceful and dynamic body movements, the stylized hand gestures (Mudras) and the strong facial mimic. The traditional themes are often religious, but may also be of a wordly nature.

Bharatanatyam | Kalasri
As I explained in my reply to that post, it's origins are irrelevant. Anybody can enjoy it, just as anybody can enjoy classical music. By the way, it was performed by devadasis, but that doesn't mean it was purely religious. It was indeed a cultural artifact, which is why in my original post I said it is not a religious "ritual". A word that the other poster also missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom