What's new

making a MBT

emotionless_teenage

Reaction score
(i don't know where else to put this kind of question so here goes)

consider this;a country with a sound automotive industry ,but has no experience on making a MBT,what kind of challenge it will face to build one?

as far as i know,MBT,in essence,is just a tractor with a gun and a steel plate

^maybe that is oversimplication,but if you asked me,i'd rather acquring old MBT tech(likw type 59,or M-48),enlarged it a bit,build a custom turret,slap some era plate and put lightweight 120mm gun on it.

how about you guys' opinion?

discuss

1. it must has a gun
2.it must has ability to protect itself
3.it must has a multi-terrain mobility

1.It should have an Armour which can Not let anything pierce badly.
2.Night vision capability
3.developing its own the armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS)
4.The engine and transmission

1.It should have an Armour which can Not let anything pierce badly.
2.Night vision capability
3.developing its own the armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS)
4.The engine and transmission

The engine and transmission :partay: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The engine and transmission :partay: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lest anyone forget, steering wheel. :p

But, I think it's a pretty good idea to take an old design and upgrade it. Although since the theoretical country has an established automobile base, making a brand new MBT shouldn't be an impossible task. Especially since older MBTs like the Type 59 have very obvious design deficiencies.
So while the country could make an alright tank by upgrading an old tank, like the Centurions the Egyptians used up till almost a few years ago, the Pakistani Al-Zarrar and so on, the chances of producing a world beater like the Abrams are pretty slim.

between me and the blokes(another like minded people with the same question in head),we are definitely divided about to go with autoloader or not to go with autoloader

it certainly has it's own advantage and drawback...

and i wonder if there is enough space in old T-55 MBT to put another crew(instead of an autoloader) by making a new turret

first of all ,it must be a tank,but not a tractor,or anything else.:coffee::coffee:

.. and must not have name "Arjun" :lol: Na just kidding.

What is use this thread buddy. Who is thinking to make an MBT taking guidlines from a forum where most of the participants are non-technical and among those who know facts and tech would not share. So all it would need is bit of Imagination and some spices, a cup of coffe' and such forum thread to make an MBT work. :coffee: I have just made mine.. has anybody here got extra diesel engine?

not just about the technical part,

i'm also thinking about the doctrine,etc

like what is the doctrine of indian army when designing arjun,pakistan when they designing AK,etc

it musta have very thick armour but light weight
it must have datalink computer system
it must have best available mobility tacks
it must have better cannon which can fire and reload very fast
it must have one anti aircraft gun and one machine gun
it must have good fire control system very importanat aspect

Comming to think about it, Tank tracks are pretty hardy if you consider how much wear and tear they typically go under and the weight they have to support. How often do the tracks gets replaced?

Hi,

Go into a joint vnture with another country which produces a tank---make an investment and be a part of the core design and manufacturing of a tank of the newest version.

That is the best possible way to do it. The wheel has already been invented---there is no reason to start from scratch.

Nice thing about this option is as you are building a new product---you are also learing the very basics of the technology as well--what to do what not to do from your partners---and that is priceless. Case in point---the joint venture between paf and china JF 17---.

if car is an hourglass, a tank is a swiss watch... so dont compare these two with eachother. there are different systems in a tank and these systems should work perfectly with eachother in a perfect harmony. as an example, Arjun's(please no offence my indian brothers:cheers: ) engine was suddenly losing stability and power during country crossing and high speeds. they realized the problem was with cooling .They changed the place of the cooling system and placed it to tank's back hull. but this modification changed the 0 degree shots of the tank. Now can you understand the importance of experience?

What you need is experience more than a reliable-reasonable industrial ability...

ps: may be i m mistaken about the cooling system in details. consider is just as an example Gentelmen. Thanks for understanding :pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom