What's new

'Made in Pakistan' expo in Chandigarh from Wednesday

hembo

Reaction score
Country
India
'Made in Pakistan' expo in Chandigarh from Wednesday
Tue, Dec 22 10:09 PM

Chandigarh, Dec 22 (IANS) Chandigarh will host the first edition of trade show 'Made in Pakistan' Dec 23-27.

A total of 43 traders from Pakistan have reached this union territory to take part in this event at the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) northern region headquarters. They will display their products, ranging from garments, pottery and decorative items, and also hold discussions with those interested in bilateral trade.

Shehzad, proprietor of Mask Traders from Lahore, said: 'The great increase in participation by Pakistani companies from 25 during the last consumer fair here, to 43 this time is a testimony to the spirit of bonding and relationship between the two countries. We are expecting tremendous response and business opportunities from Chandigarh.'

CII officials are expecting good response to the show.

'There is a vast potential for establishing business ties between the two countries. This exposition will certainly lead to an increased economic and trade-related inter-dependence between the neighbouring nations,' said Partap Aggarwal, chairman of CII Chandigarh council, here Tuesday.

With Love, From Pakistan
Thu, Dec 24 06:24 AM

Shawls from Swat to suits from Lahore, juttis from Multan to furniture from Peshawar...here's what's arrived from across the border

It's a perfect mix of business and bonhomie. The much talked about 'Made in Pakistan' fair put together by CII's Northern Region chapter opened this Wednesday to a packed house with visitors curious to check out the goodies that have been brought in from across the border. Given the success of their last outing at the recently held CII Consumer Fair, this time the traders are more in number and so is the variety at hand.

DESIGNER SPREAD: "We are equally excited and looking forward to the five days," mentioned a visibly pleased Shazia Javed who brings her range of chiffon and organza suits and dupattas all the way from Rawalpindi. The show has a bouquet of fabrics ranging from cotton to chiffon to organza boasting of traditional Pakistani embroideries and work. "Our work brings in a lot of colour and glamorous embellishments," mentioned a representative of Mab exports as we eyed suit materials in bright shades. For those who love chikankari, the show has umpteen stalls offering the same. As far as designer appeal goes, drop in at the 'Laila's Art' stall where you can lay your hands on "fancy" suits that boast of smart styling. For a more traditional appeal, P&B Textiles offers readymade suits made from handloom cotton. For those of you looking for home linen, there are special 'Sindhi work' bedspreads and rugs up for sale while the pretty stoles from Swat definitely caught our attention.

STEP OUT IN STYLE: It wasn't surprising to find the crowds swell at the 'jutti' stalls at the fair. Pretty designs, comfortable fits and a price that was easy to bear won the shoe-sellers brownie points. On offer are umpteen styles for both men and women in what we are told is pure leather. Also making an appearance were traditional and very colourful Pakistani Parandis at the stall by Siddique.

A PLATTERFUL: Looking at the pretty floral and geometric designs on offer, it seems Pakistan has quite a penchant for dishing out Melamine crockery. The fair brings in traders specializing in the same and from dinner sets to platters to trays, there's quite a variety at hand.

AND MORE: Another highlight is the huge collection of Onyx stonework - from figurines to table top pieces, take your pick. Also for those of you who relish Kebabs, do sample the food court where you can order from biryanis, tikkas and even the Mutton Burrah Kebab.

The show is on at CII, Sector 31 till December 27.

I am gona be in Chandigarh from the 28th :( Wish it could be extended by a day or two!

It'll be extremely popular no doubt. Recently at the India International Trade Fair in Delhi, the most popular tent was from Pakistan. Their were almost riots as people scrambled to get it!!

I'm all for better economic relations, but I don't think we should be entertaining any Pakistanis in the current environment, especially after they denied us transit to Afg.

I'm all for better economic relations, but I don't think we should be entertaining any Pakistanis in the current environment, especially after they denied us transit to Afg.

I dont agree with you brother. Bilateral trade should be kept at a different pedestal altogether.

May be Pakistan doesnt provide a transit to Indian goods to Afghanistan but would we be ready to provide transit to Pak goods to BD if they asked? A land route to BD will definitely be more efficient.

In times like these filled with acrimony and distrust, there's even a greater need for people to people contacts like trade fairs and cultural exhibitions to bring about a degree of peace and normalcy.

But, Pakistan yielded to Afghan demand for transit its goods to India through Wagha border. Unless pending issues between India and Pakistan are solved, Pakistan seems not in a hurry to extend the transit facilities to India.

It'll be extremely popular no doubt. Recently at the India International Trade Fair in Delhi, the most popular tent was from Pakistan. Their were almost riots as people scrambled to get it!!

And they were charging exhorbitant prices for the Pakistani food. :smitten: Quantity of serving was also very low, for that price.

I am amzed that same food with exact flavour and taste is available at many places in Delhi but people were more than ready to 'Taste' Pakistani dish!:cheesy:

There food was a hit!

My grandfather grew up in Chandigarh, my ancestral home is there (I doubt it's still standing, though). It was a small house that was home to 7 children and the parents, and they didn't live in great conditions. From there, my grandfather and his family moved to Lahore, and he lost his father and sister during partition. He was in his early 20s during the partition and was very passionate about Pakistan. He was even part of the Mohammad Ali Jinnah's unofficial bodyguard every time he visited Lahore. My grandfather remained passionate about Pakistan until 2007, when he passed away, but he never forgot or lost his love for his home in India. So, it might amaze some of you, but I have this desire to visit that place once in my life. This desire makes it impossible for me to hate India or Indians, though I too feel strongly about our differences.

Some day, InshAllah, when all our issues have been sorted out, I shall visit my grandfather's place of birth.

I am amzed that same food with exact flavour and taste is available at many places in Delhi but people were more than ready to 'Taste' Pakistani dish!:cheesy:

There food was a hit!
It's all the extra grease, man!

And they were charging exhorbitant prices for the Pakistani food. :smitten: Quantity of serving was also very low, for that price.

There food was a hit!

Yup. Pakistani Biryani was going for RS 140 bucks per plate. It was delicious but when you think about the quantity the price was ridiculous.

My grandfather grew up in Chandigarh, my ancestral home is there (I doubt it's still standing, though).
Some day, InshAllah, when all our issues have been sorted out, I shall visit my grandfather's place of birth.

It's all the extra grease, man!

Sir, I would welcome you to visit Chd. My family would gladly put you up.

Just out of curiousity though, are you sure your grandpa mentioned Chd as his ancestral place? AFAIK Chd. was built only in the 60's. In fact the name didnt exist before that. The area was composed of 50 villages earlier that were cleared for the city.

May be he meant one of the villages that were included within Chd. or a town or village close to Chd.

Chandigarh is an awesome place just got back from my buddies wedding in Ludhiana, went to chandigarh too. I couldnt maintain my cover for the first two days then started to fit in... Man the thing is you guys wear shalwars that are skin tight we wear ones that have a lot of room, so that gave me away.. but i had to wear it for the wedding after that it was fine...fitted right and gathered a lot of intelligence :azn: jk...but yh awesome place awesome people. :cheers:

^^^ Glad you enjoyed your stay. Where in Ludhiana was the wedding?

Man the thing is you guys wear shalwars that are skin tight we wear ones that have a lot of room, so that gave me away.. but i had to wear it for the wedding after that it was fine...fitted right and gathered a lot of intelligence :azn: jk...

I think you are talking about the wedding sherwani. Yes, that is pretty tight fitting but its only worn on weddings and other occasions. The kurta pyjama that country folks wear is pretty loose fitting. Not as much as the ones you guys wear across the border though :pakistan:

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom