What's new

Made in Bangladesh

Bangladesh is building “garment villages” to double its already-huge clothing exports

The rapid growth of Bangladesh’s garment industry has been a blessing and a burden to the country.

So invaluable is the industry to Bangladesh that the country is doubling down on the business, despite the repercussions. Already the world’s second largest exporter of clothing by some estimates, Bangladesh intends to double its apparel exports to $50 billion by 2021.

Bangladesh commerce minister, Tofail Ahmed, announced the plan last week, including the creation of a “garment village” in the southeastern port city of Chittagong—a major export hub—to help the country hit its goal.

That village follows on one already under construction in the city of Bausia, being funded by a state-owned Chinese firm. The Bausia village is expected to house more than 200 factories and contribute up to $5 billion in export value.

Bangladesh wants to double its clothing exports by 2021

Currently factories in these cities tend to be spread around in an unplanned manner, which makes them hard to monitor, and they can spring up wherever space is available, including in decrepit, unsafe buildings. In Bausia, factories that don’t currently comply with regulations will be moved to the villages, where workplace, health, and fire safety regulations can be enforced. Plans for the Bausia village even include facilities for medical treatment, proper waste disposal, and day care, which is critical given that about 80% of Bangladesh’s garment workers are women, and they tend to be entirely responsible for child care.

Government plans for a garment village have apparently been floating around since as early as 2005.

The US, which is the largest importer of garments from Bangladesh, has thrown its support behind the country’s target of doubling exports and the Chittagong plan. Marcia Bernicat, the US ambassador to Bangladesh, called it “an ambitious, but very possible goal” and said it demonstrates “that business success goes hand-in-hand with workers’ rights and safety.” The US will reportedly join with two Bangladeshi banks in offering a $22 million credit guarantee on loans to help improve safety in garment factories.

Gazaria garment park in three years | Munshiganj

Tofail urges admin to ready garment palli in 3 years | TRADE & MARKET | The Financialexpress-bd
Then Dhaka will be less crowded.

Exactly! Factories were never supposed to be built in Dhaka.

With the rise in land pricese in the Dhaka area, and if the government imposed additional taxese could encourage a dramatic shift out of Dhaka and into more controlled development zones nearer ports.

Its just stupid building a garment factory near Dhaka, transporting raw material from the ports to the factory and then transporting finished goods back to the port for export! Just build the factories closer to the ports......

1545634_923025244382623_3037638858937598408_n.jpg

A lathe..............? :woot:

This is what Bangladeshi industry is capable of ??

I thought that 'a large majority of Bangladesh industrial capability is at par with where India is'...:omghaha:

And you are running around mocking India's space program & DRDO projects...:lol:

I thought that 'a large majority of Bangladesh industrial capability is at par with where India is'...:omghaha:

And you are running around mocking India's space program & DRDO projects...:lol:
You are not seeing that they are posting rebadged LCD, LED TV, Cellphone, Refrigerator, Washing Machine other in this thread ?

Last edited:
You are not seeing that they are posting rebadged LCD, LED TV, Cellphone, Refrigerator, Washing Machine other in this this thread ?

That's another thing

Did you miss them posting pics every time a barge or a ferry gets launched.....?:lol:

Like I've said before, only a totally and hopelessly blind, hateful individual would shoot down science and tech advancements (in any way or form) and then go on to use twisted logic to spin my words.

I hope BD produces more "high quality products" for themselves. We wouldn't want them importing from the likes of lowly India now would we?

I hope BD produces more "high quality products" for themselves. We wouldn't want them importing from the likes of lowly India now would we?

They might boast about their 'high tech' 'precision' textile industry,but they can't even make spares for the textile machinery they import from several countries( including us )

Anyway Antrix corporation,the commercial arm of ISRO earns a revenue of $300 million,10 times as much as the largest shipbuilding company in Bangladesh :lol:

@Manindra

They might boast about their 'high tech' 'precision' textile industry,but they can't even make spares for the textile machinery they import from several countries( including us )

Anyway Antrix corporation,the commercial arm of ISRO earns a revenue of $300 million,10 times as much as the largest shipbuilding company in Bangladesh :lol:

@Manindra
I don't want to participate d@$k measuring contest here.
High Tech textile is used in defence, space & other critical are which BD have not.
Rest are just mass stitching centres.

It's not us mocking you guys,more like you doing it yourself.
You guys say India is a superpower,that's why we help you to compare with the superpowers...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom