What's new

LPDs Lead India's Push To Boost Sealift, Amphibious Capabilities

10 Heli carrying LHD

Any idea about tonnage ??

First of all, that is an LHD, secondly it also has only 6 x take off and landing spots, you obviously can park more on the deck and in the hangar, depending on the layout. An LDP like INS Jalashwa, usually has only a single landing spots ( some have 2-3 at max), no additional parking space and a hangar size for up to 6 helicopters only.
No tonnage was given in the RFI.

There is no LHD that has a flight deck with 10 helicopter spots, if that is what you meant and so far I didn't see such a requirement anyway. The RFI mentioned only that it must be able to support helicopter operations for helicopters until 35t only, but nothing about a flight deck, the hangar or even the numbers of helicopters that should be used.

Now this may sound outlandish but, Could you tell me whether any country has actually tried operating VTOL aircrafts like Harrier/Harrier II's from LPD instead of heavy helis. Operating VTOLs/jump jets out of LPDs could increase the lethality of the platform as well as provide for a far robust defensive capability ?

feasible ?

Now this may sound outlandish but, Could you tell me whether any country has actually tried operating VTOL aircrafts like Harrier/Harrier II's from LPD instead of heavy helis. Operating VTOLs/jump jets out of LPDs could increase the lethality of the platform as well as provide for a far robust defensive capability ?

feasible ?

They can land and take off from the LDPs of course, but the numbers are too low to serve any useful purpose, besides that they only would take away hangar space. IN will have dedicated aircraft carriers and won't operate any VTOL fighters from the LDPs.

According to a report on Malayalam daily today , there are chances that one among the 4 LPDs will be constructed at Cochin shipyard .

Last edited:
Even the Malayalam reports says that Hindustan Shipyard will build 2 LPDs , that's for sure .

Total 4 LPDs are planned . So CSL is trying to bag one of the rest two LPDs .
May be antony do that favour for CSL but if it happens then its not good for our Private shipyards who has tremendous capacity but underestimated. I believe they will finish this faster than HSL or even CSL. Navy doesn't want to give that order to CSL considering next Aircraft Carrier which will be built by CSL too along with IAC-1 which is yet to be finished and that may lead to slow down of the projects. Anyway who knows whats going on in antony's mind.

May be antony do that favour for CSL but if it happens then its not good for our Private shipyards who has tremendous capacity but underestimated. I believe they will finish this faster than HSL or even CSL. Navy doesn't want to give that order to CSL considering next Aircraft Carrier which will be built by CSL too along with IAC-1 which is yet to be finished and that may lead to slow down of the projects. Anyway who knows whats going on in antony's mind.

True according to the report , CSL was not being considered for the rest two LPDs .

The decision was changed and a committee comprising of officials of Defence and Shipping Ministry was setup last month to look into the issue after Antony's visit to CSL .

True according to the report , CSL was not being considered for the rest two LPDs .

The decision was changed and a committee comprising of officials of Defence and Shipping Ministry was setup last month to look into the issue after Antony's visit to CSL .

LPD CSL ettadakuvanenkil delay varan chancunde.Antony a pany oppikatirunnaal matiyayirunnu

True but, i think given the experience of build first indigenous Aircraft carrier CSL has more experience and all the hull works of IAC 1 finished so they're free for new design and Hull works you know

Already an Aircraft carrier construction in CSL.But private shipyard can complete LPD construction very faster than CSL.We need private players

True , more private ship yards need to come to the forefront .

Anyways , CSL is pushing hard for one LPD .

IMO , they don't want to loose the expertise gained by IAC-1 and are confident that they can complete IAC-1 just in time to start the construction of LPD .

They are also asking for Rs.1200 crore expansion plan .

True but, i think given the experience of build first indigenous Aircraft carrier CSL has more experience and all the hull works of IAC 1 finished so they're free for new design and Hull works you know
But they have no experience in making LPDs in past. And it would be wiser if we include both public and private shipyards rather than just public shipyards which we are doing till now. Without including private sector on large level we will face delays and cost overruns like in past and present. I hope govt will now consider this.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom