What's new

Lonely Planet names Sri Lanka as the top destination to travel in 2013

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
World renowned travel guide and digital media publisher “The Lonely Planet”, has named Sri Lanka as the number one destination in the world to travel in year 2013.

Sri Lanka Tourism says, the country has been chosen as the number one destination taking into consideration the inputs of travel experts, travellers and other stakeholders.

The travel community has said that Sri Lanka will be one of the top new holiday destinations for travelers, in 2013.

The 2013 Travel Guide published by the Lonely Planet has highlighted the emerging new popular places to visit in Sri Lanka, including the newly opened up East coast and less traveled paths in the western coast as well.

“Dubbed Serendib -the origin of the word serendipity “ by seafaring Arab traders centuries ago, Sri Lanka has been anything but serene in recent decades. …South Asia’s most compact country have remained off limits to even the most intrepid traveller. .…investment is again fuelling the tourist industry and visitor numbers are steadily increasing. Prices are affordable. Indeed, Sri Lanka is emerging as one of the planet’s best-value destinations”, the Lonely Planet has described in its latest Travel Guide.

“The country is becoming easier to reach due to cheap fares from regional hub Bangkok” it has further added.

Sri Lanka Tourism says, the annual Lonely Planet lists is compiled based on unbiased views of the staff, writers and travel community.

Spokesman for Lonely Planet Adam Bennett has said that the choices are not based on where travelers are already going.

“our pick of where we believe travelers really should consider visiting in 2013.”, he has pointed out.

Bennett has said that destinations make the list for a variety of reasons, including special events, recent developments or buzz, or that the destination is up-and-coming and worth visiting before the crowds get too big.

Lonely Planet names Sri Lanka as the top destination to travel in 2013 | NEWS360.lk

--------

Top 10 countries to visit in 2013 : Lonely Planet

1. Sri Lanka
2. Montenegro
3. South Korea
4. Ecuador
5. Slovakia
6. Solomon Islands
7. Iceland
8. Turkey
9. Dominican Republic
10. Madagascar

WoW, Quite a list that is.

Congrats to our neighbors. Surely i'll visit Sri-Lanka some day.

Lonely plant also named Hyderabad as Third best city to visit in 2013. :toast_sign:

1.San Francisco
2.Amsterdam
3.Hyderabad

Are they crazy?! I thought the city and the neighboring areas were in turmoil due to the Telangana issue??

Anyways, does anybody know what reasons Lonely Planet offered for advising a trip to hyderabad?

I would want to go there, but my knowledge of the city is restricted to biryani and char minar.

Back
Top Bottom