Women's Cycling Keirin

Silver - Our 13th

Guo Shuang

Bronze - First Medal

Lee Wai Sze

Hongkong China!

1322961_M01.jpg

The medalists in the women's Keirin on the podium
(L-R) Silver medallist Shuang Guo of China , gold medallist Victoria Pendleton of Great Britain and bronze medallist Lee Wai Sze of Hong Kong, China celebrate with their medals during the medal ceremony for the women's Keirin Track Cycling final on Day 7 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Velodrome.

Congratulations!

Go China!
:china:

^ Yea it was a great run.

Sanchez's jump from the beginning was scary though :P

Women's Cycling Keirin

Silver - Our 13th

Guo Shuang

Bronze - First Medal

Lee Wai Sze

Hongkong China!

Congratulations!

Go China!

Congrats to Hong Kong brothers!

If I remember correctly, I believe HK is also good in sailing, and table tennis.

All 3 areas ( Mainland, Taiwan (1 silver) and HK (1 bronze) on the Medal table!

Still a lot matches to play and medals to be won!

Go Greater China!

Congrats to PRC on maintaining the lead in Gold medals tally for so many days.

The Olympics or any such international events (like the Asian Games) should be restructured to include more sports and more equal number of medals from similar sports. I just browsed through the lists at London 2012 site. There seem to be about 70+ gold medals available from swimming and athletics. In football, a team of 11 people must defeat other teams numerous times, over many days they must maintain their success, only to win a single gold medal. In swimming or athletics, very often a single athelete gets to win multiple medals within a few days. Some thing is amiss.

On the same note, in weightlifting, I see that Iran and former Soviet Union countries are historically in a great position. However, the way that men's weightlifting weight categories are grouped allows for only 2 or 3 medal opportunities for these countries because all weightlifters above 105 kg are categorized into the 105+ kg bundle. They could have divided this segment further into another 3 or 4 categories, like 110 kg category, 120 kg category, 135 kg category, 160 kg category, and 180+ kg category, for example. I am quite certain, then, countries like Iran could have won multiple medals from this event alone.

Iran's multiple world record/olympic record holder Hossein Rezazadeh for those who did not know.
2004 OLYMPIC GAMES HOSSEIN REZAZADEH THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD (OLYMPIC SNATCH) - YouTube

His 'protege' Behdad Salimi also appears to have immense talent.
Behdad Salimi 214kg Snatch World Record - 2011 World Weightlifting Championship - YouTube

Looking at medals tally, we see that out of 18 gold medals by USA, 11 came from swimming alone. For Britain, they have recently won gold medals in sports like rowing or canoeing or some other sport that most of the world does not probably even know about. Cutting down on the number of gold medals available in these sports may be a good idea for fair distribution of medals.

Edited: In addition, China should rally other non Western and Asian countries towards this cause. Take a look at Usain Bolt's numerous outstanding World Records. Then, in the 3000 m and similar distance competitions, East Africans like Kenyans, Sudanese and Ethiopians seem to dominate. Increasing the medals tally in those competitions would be beneficial to the non Western countries like increasing the number of medals in the 105+ kg weightlifting competition will be for Iran and some neighbouring countries strong in this competition.

Cutting down on "Western specialty" sports' medal available will also help ensure that Westerners remain satisfied with fewer medals. No more 30+ golds in swimming, and no more 35+ golds in athletics.

Congrats to Hong Kong brothers!

If I remember correctly, I believe HK is also good in sailing, and table tennis.

You are right! Sailing Men RS-X @ #10 with 4 races to go before the medal race. Table tennis Team strong for a medal!

Congrats to PRC on maintaining the lead in Gold medals tally for so many days.

The Olympics or any such international events (like the Asian Games) should be restructured to include more sports and more equal number of medals from similar sports. I just browsed through the lists at London 2012 site. There seem to be about 70+ gold medals available from swimming and athletics. In football, a team of 11 people must defeat other teams numerous times, over many days they must maintain their success, only to win a single gold medal. In swimming or athletics, very often a single athelete gets to win multiple medals within a few days. Some thing is amiss.

On the same note, in weightlifting, I see that Iran and former Soviet Union countries are historically in a great position. However, the way that men's weightlifting weight categories are grouped allows for only 2 or 3 medal opportunities for these countries because all weightlifters above 105 kg are categorized into the 105+ kg bundle. They could have divided this segment further into another 3 or 4 categories, like 110 kg category, 120 kg category, 135 kg category, 160 kg category, and 180+ kg category, for example. I am quite certain, then, countries like Iran could have won multiple medals from this event alone.

Iran's multiple world record/olympic record holder Hossein Rezazadeh for those who did not know.
2004 OLYMPIC GAMES HOSSEIN REZAZADEH THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD (OLYMPIC SNATCH) - YouTube

His 'protege' Behdad Salimi also appears to have immense talent.
Behdad Salimi 214kg Snatch World Record - 2011 World Weightlifting Championship - YouTube

Looking at medals tally, we see that out of 18 gold medals by USA, 11 came from swimming alone. For Britain, they have recently won gold medals in sports like rowing or canoeing or some other sport that most of the world does not probably even know about. Cutting down on the number of gold medals available in these sports may be a good idea for fair distribution of medals.

Edited: In addition, China should rally other non Western and Asian countries towards this cause. Take a look at Usain Bolt's numerous outstanding World Records. Then, in the 3000 m and similar distance competitions, East Africans like Kenyans, Sudanese and Ethiopians seem to dominate. Increasing the medals tally in those competitions would be beneficial to the non Western countries like increasing the number of medals in the 105+ kg weightlifting competition will be for Iran and some neighbouring countries strong in this competition.

Cutting down on "Western specialty" sports' medal available will also help ensure that Westerners remain satisfied with fewer medals. No more 30+ golds in swimming, and no more 35+ golds in athletics.

Agreed.

Over half of the US's gold comes from swimming.

In contrast, there aren't many medals on the sports that China is good at, such as diving, table tennis, badminton.. What pisses me off is that they're now cutting more medals and changing rules to limit the number of medals you can get, from the sports that China is good at.

WTF man??

Agreed.

In contrast, there aren't many medals on the sports that China is good at, such as diving, table tennis, badminton.. What pisses me off is that they're now cutting more medals and changing rules to limit the number of medals you can get, from the sports that China is good at.

WTF man??
I cannot help but feel that if the situation were reversed you would not be complaining.

Swimming is a big sport with various different lengths and strokes.
By all means make up some new table tennis medals. Perhaps triples or quadruples? Same goes for badminton, why not have 10 a side?

Agreed.

WTF man??

It's straightforward. They want to be the 'champions' at the Olympics. This is only a political move to try to ensure that they can be champion of some sorts. As I have said, China should rally other non Western and Asian nations to increase the medals tally in Weightlifting 105+kg category, in those athletics events that Usain Bolt and other Jamaicans can outdo USA comprehensively, in 3000m+ events where Ethiopians, Sudanese, Kenyans etc can outdo Americans, and cut down on events that are Western specialties. In this way, nobody can accuse China of trying to secure more medals for itself because those events that I have listed are not Chinese strengths, but China can get more political support from all non Western countries because these countries will probably win more medals if these categories are added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom