What's new

Lockheed shows interest in building F-16s in India

F18 sh would be better option. Also it has engine commonality with tejas or amca in future. It will ease maintainence. All this will happen only if rafale deal fails :disagree:

Hmm...You Got the point except one...I would like to tell you that, 36 Rafale is for SCF....Those will be responsible for Nuclear air attack.. So.... No need to cancel Rafale deal ...we can still got for F-18SH.

F-16s are getting old now, F-35 is a better option.

F-35 is not matured enough yet... Still F-35 got issues.

F-16s? No way! Why would we manufacture an antique 40 year old platform?

Last edited:
India has the Su30s. The F-16 could be something as alternative to the Tejas which is a single engine light weight fighter plane..

I think they are looking at a possibility of another light weight fighter to supplement whatever numbers of Tejas are inducted. The Mig 21's have to be phased out.

A sleek attempt by lookheed to regain their potential sale..
But regardless of politics I am highly disappointed by made in India stuff...cheap and flimsy describes Indian quality control at best...

Even perfectly good vehicles from NISSAN now being made in India are utter POS...

Lockheed shows interest in building F-16s in India | india | Hindustan Times

PM Narendra Modi’s Make in India plan appears to be generating a buzz in the US, with Bethesda-based aerospace major Lockheed Martin indicating interest in building its iconic F-16 fighter plane in the country.

Top sources said during a meeting with Modi in New York on Thursday, Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson discussed the possibility of building the fighter planes in India.

The single-engine F-16 took part in India’s multi-billion dollar tender to buy modern warplanes, but the US firm was knocked out of the competition in early stages.

After the Modi-Hewson meeting, ministry of external affairs spokesman Vikas Swarup tweeted, “Cleared for takeoff. Marillyn Hewson, Chairman of @LockheedMartin discusses aerospace industry w/ PM @narendramodi.”

Lockheed Martin has delivered more than 4,500 fighters to 28 international customers, including the Pakistan Air Force.

The US firm has introduced several upgraded variants of the fighter that has been around for more than 40 years. New F-16 variants come packed with enhancements such as active electronically scanned array radars, improved situational awareness for pilots, better avionics and sensors and increased payload to keep pace with rapidly evolving military requirements.

India finally scrapped the contract to buy 126 fighter jets and is currently negotiating with France to buy 36 Rafale fighters under a government-to-government sale.

To meet the Indian Air Force’s requirements, the possibilities being explored by New Delhi include going in for large-scale manufacturing of the locally-produced light combat aircraft or building a fighter with foreign collaboration in India.

If they come here for Production, I am very sure that they shall have a R & D and design center at India. They shall be able to make very robust designs at a very cheap rate.

Still capable aircraft. With constant upgrades it still be up there with the other premier aircraft.

Considering the price that is being spoken wrt Rafale, the F-16 offer to build in India looks very attractive. We are never going to be able to afford a large number of Rafales anytime soon.

If getting at a cheaper price, India can fill the gap of Migs with F16. The offer to build F16s in India is tempting.

But regardless of politics I am highly disappointed by made in India stuff...cheap and flimsy describes Indian quality control at best...

Even perfectly good vehicles from NISSAN now being made in India are utter POS...

Very true. But still Ford and Toyota announced new plants for cars to be exported to Europe/ Middle east last month :(

On top of it all, Foxxconn has just invested 5 billion USD for a new plant in Andhra Pradesh and very soon, IPhone will be exported from there

Its better to start boycotting all these companies from today itself bro.... :angel:

Honestly which aircraft would you pick? Decades old aircraft or a few years old aircraft?
lca-tejas-7.jpg

file.php

Given the size of Indian market, Companies have no option but to have their manufacturing bases in India to cut costs and ward off competition. So exporting from these manufacturing bases to countries across Asia is also cost effective too.

Given the size of Indian market, Companies have no option but to have their manufacturing bases in India to cut costs and ward off competition. So exporting from these manufacturing bases to countries across Asia is also cost effective too.

How many aircraft does India want?

Honestly which aircraft would you pick? Decades old aircraft or a few years old aircraft?
lca-tejas-7.jpg

file.php

India is looking for quantity and not quality. F16 or Gripen in large numbers make sense.

For quality India has MKIs, and is looking forward to PAKFA and Rafale

How many aircraft does India want?

Around 200, I guess. But experts on this forum may be able to give a better picture.

Back
Top Bottom