What's new

Lockheed Martin releases first image of new hypersonic long-range missile system

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Photo courtesy of Lockheed Martin Corp

Lockheed Martin Corp., Pentagon’s No.1 weapons supplier, posted the first public computer-generated graphics of Army’s Long-Range Hypersonic Weapon (LRHW).

According to the presentation, the new weapon system will consist of four transporter erector launchers (TEL), each installed on a modified M870 40-ton trailer, and command posts.

Each TEL will have two canisterized hypersonic weapons at the ready and the unit will have an unspecified number of additional missiles on hand.
- ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW -
As noted by the company, LRHW will leverage the common hypersonic glide body and introduce a new class of ultrafast and maneuverable long-range missiles with the ability to launch from ground mobile platforms.
The new weapon system will provide a critical strategic weapon and a powerful deterrent against adversary capabilities for the U.S. Army. Hypersonic missiles can reach the top of the Earth’s atmosphere and remain just beyond the range of air and missile defense systems until they are ready to strike, and by then it’s too late to react. Extremely accurate, ultrafast, maneuverable and survivable, hypersonics can strike anywhere in the world within minutes.
The Army is aiming to get the first long-range hypersonic weapon experimental prototype by the fiscal year 2023. The new land-based, truck-launched system should be armed with hypersonic missiles that can travel well over 3,800 miles per hour.

Also added that on Sept. 23, a ribbon-cutting ceremony was held for the new Conventional Prompt Strike (CPS) Canister Production Facility at the RMS Baltimore site. Deputy Director Robert Strider of the Army Hypersonic Project Office and staff attended, as did leadership of RMS and Lockheed Martin Space.
The Baltimore team is currently under IWTA to Space to design and build 19 intermediate range CPS canisters for long-range hypersonics weapons.

If you wish to report grammatical or factual errors within our news articles, you can let us know by using the online feedback form.

just mach 5 ? well Iran already has missile with mach 12 for its mobile platforms

The HGV for LRHW flew at Mach 17 over 4,000kms in March.

Just Mach 17? I'm sure China, Russia and Iran have faster missiles.
Oh! and the artist impression doesn't make any sense. How is the canister supposed to lie flat for transport with the equipment already on the flat bed?
Unless there is another truck to transport the cannister and the trailer in the image is just the launch platform?

Last edited:
Just Mach 17? I'm sure China, Russia and Iran have faster missiles.
Oh! and the artist impression doesn't make any sense. How is the canister supposed to lie flat for transport with the equipment already on the flat bed?
Unless there is another truck to transport the cannister and the trailer in the image is just the launch platform?

The Army believes this HGV can actually fly farther and faster. In 2014, an early prototype of this HGV was set to be launched from Kodiak ISland, Alaska to the Marshall islands. That’s over 6,000kms. It launched, but an anomaly in the booster caused it to explode shortly after liftoff. This HGV is set for 3 flights next year. I’ll be interested to see if they launch again from Alaska.

The HGV for LRHW flew at Mach 17 over 4,000kms in March.
yes but this is not a HGV it has ballistic trajectory so it place it in Fateh family of missiles and new member of Fateh has mach 12 speed in air and mach 5 at impact point. not bad at all but i expect lockheed to produce a missile that make us go o_O

yes but this is not a HGV it has ballistic trajectory so it place it in Fateh family of missiles and new member of Fateh has mach 12 speed in air and mach 5 at impact point. not bad at all but i expect lockheed to produce a missile that make us go o_O

Don’t know what your talking about. LRHW will be armed with the HGV flown in March. That’s set in stone.

Fateh is a normal ballistic missile with a predictable trajectory arc.

LRHW is armed with a HGV which fly unpredictable paths to the target at hypersonic speed. There's no comparison between the two weapons.

Fateh is a normal ballistic missile with a predictable trajectory arc.

If you're talking about the original Fateh-110 then you're correct however the user is referring to newer generation of these missiles that have MaRV and function as a lower tier HGV type systems. They're somewhere between a purely ballistic missile and these HGVs. In the near future you should see full on Iranian HGVs too.

Anyway this thread is about the American system. It is a good achievement, pretty good system. What remains to be seen is what role this will play in America's defence doctrine. One thing is for future, these hypersonic manoeuvrable systems will play a very big role in the future.

If you're talking about the original Fateh-110 then you're correct however the user is referring to newer generation of these missiles that have MaRV and function as a lower tier HGV type systems. They're somewhere between a purely ballistic missile and these HGVs. In the near future you should see full on Iranian HGVs too.

Anyway this thread is about the American system. It is a good achievement, pretty good system. What remains to be seen is what role this will play in America's defence doctrine. One thing is for future, these hypersonic manoeuvrable systems will play a very big role in the future.

I've seen no evidence Iran has successfully flown an HGV, much less at the speed and range of LRHW.

This HGV will also be deployed on the Navys Block 5 Virginias mid decade. And I'd say this is much more than a good weapons system. I would call it gamechanging. A battery of LRHWs deployed on Guam would be capable of striking almost any target in Eastern China.

I've seen no evidence Iran has successfully flown an HGV, much less at the speed and range of LRHW.

Not a full on HGV like these American systems, but hypersonic MaRVs with lower level capabilities to these HGV systems. I don't want to take this thread off track but if you're interested, there is alot of information in the Iranian section.

This HGV will also be deployed on the Navys Block 5 Virginias mid decade. And I'd say this is much more than a good weapons system. I would call it gamechanging. A battery of LRHWs deployed on Guam would be capable of striking almost any target in Eastern China.

Generally speaking yes you are right in that these are very impressive technologies in of themselves. The reason I was reserved in above comment is because of the dangers of using any long range missiles against a nuclear armed adversary, the risk of triggering the M.A.D is major a deterrence in using these systems in my opinion.

You do realize that a rapidly descending MaRV warhead has a much smaller engagement zone - so it is much easier to defeat.
Plus, against the backdrop of the clear blue sky it can be picked up by every sensor in the target area.
It isn't even in the same league as hypersonic glider - unless you have global satellite coverage, OTH or airborne radar your reaction time is pretty much limited by the horizon.
1602265583719.png

But I guess you are the same person that is adamant that Iranian ballistic missiles have no known man made counter measures.
So please don't bother with a rebuttal .....because I am sure no one can convince you the above isn't the absolute truth.

Oh well you can take a horse to the water... I guess

Last edited:
You do realize that a rapidly descending MaRV warhead has a much smaller engagement zone - so it is much easier to defeat.
Plus, against the backdrop of the clear blue sky it can be picked up by every sensor in the target area.
It isn't even in the same league as hypersonic glider - unless you have global satellite coverage, OTH or airborne radar your reaction time is pretty much limited by the horizon.

But I guess you are the same person that is adamant that Iranian ballistic missiles have no known man made counter measures.
So please don't bother with a rebuttal .....because I am sure no one can convince you the above isn't the absolute truth.

Oh well you can take a horse to the water... I guess

Instead of this random comment, perhaps first go inform yourself a little bit regarding the Iranian missiles in question and also what I have actually said. Then you can try again.

It’s probably just a design like the old SICBM with a new maneuverable warhead. SICBM was 4 stages I believe so maybe this is just two stages. Btw the SICBM got up to 11,000 km range. So this could design could be replaced down the line if the longer range is needed.

Instead of this random comment, perhaps first go inform yourself a little bit regarding the Iranian missiles in question and also what I have actually said. Then you can try again.

I added a picture....ow.....pretty colors..

now do you get the difference between a ballistic missile (with MaRV) vs a hypersonic glider

03.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom