What's new

Linux corner

I used to do a lot of distro hopping but spent considerably more time with Mint and Puppy. They are the best for casual users.
The best distro for casual users is Zorin which is a roided up ubuntu
desktop.png

Do they have paid version too?
The paid version has six looks while the free one they have 3 looks

They also have a lite version for older machines called zorin lite
linux-screenshot-zorin-os-6-1-lite-16.jpg

Its more or less a roided up lubuntu

Always used gnome versions due to clutterfree interface. Using Mint KDE now. It looks quite polished.

is it cable internet with username/passwd? using network manager, you may be able to configure it.
Yes it is cable internet with username/passwd and I was using network manager to configure it. It is giving the error. I have posted this on askubuntu website but got no answers.
internet - Wired interface (eth0) ppp failed to start Kubuntu - Ask Ubuntu

I searched for my self. They say to reinstall network manager. How can I reinstall network manager when I am not connected to internet.

I hope the Linux master can keep this thread up, especially im learning Linux Kernel & Linux driver model ... :-)

Thank you very much !

Yes it is cable internet with username/passwd and I was using network manager to configure it. It is giving the error. I have posted this on askubuntu website but got no answers.
internet - Wired interface (eth0) ppp failed to start Kubuntu - Ask Ubuntu

I searched for my self. They say to reinstall network manager. How can I reinstall network manager when I am not connected to internet.
Can you share ISP's name, is it connected through normal LAN cable and also is it needs to be authenticated through username passwd before connecting (pppoe). what is the internet speed? Is it a telephone line connection or through cable?

You need the mighty terminal and wvdial. I haven't used kde recently, so no idea about the gui interface for nwmanager. But, if your lan card is supported, check again with kde network manager for options to set up username and password (in ipv4 tab usually).
first run "ifconfig" to identify the ethernet node (usually eth0 and loopback address). whether the NIC card is supported or not needs to be find out.
Normal procedure is open terminal, run "sudo su" to gain root access, run wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf and then you need to set manually the parameters like username/passwd, baudrate etc. Also, if you don't know vi/emacs usage, then run "kdesudo kate /etc/wvdial.conf" or "kdesudo kedit /etc/wvdial.conf" to enter the username and password.
edit (kdesudo kedit filename)
Wvdial - ArchWiki
DialupModemHowto/SetUpDialer - Community Help Wiki

Can you share ISP's name, is it connected through normal LAN cable and also is it needs to be authenticated through username passwd before connecting (pppoe). what is the internet speed? Is it a telephone line connection or through cable?

You need the mighty terminal and wvdial. I haven't used kde recently, so no idea about the gui interface for nwmanager. But, if your lan card is supported, check again with kde network manager for options to set up username and password (in ipv4 tab usually).
first run "ifconfig" to identify the ethernet node (usually eth0 and loopback address). whether the NIC card is supported or not needs to be find out.
Normal procedure is open terminal, run "sudo su" to gain root access, run wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf and then you need to set manually the parameters like username/passwd, baudrate etc. Also, if you don't know vi/emacs usage, then run "kdesudo kate /etc/wvdial.conf" or "kdesudo kedit /etc/wvdial.conf" to enter the username and password.
edit (kdesudo kedit filename)
Wvdial - ArchWiki
DialupModemHowto/SetUpDialer - Community Help Wiki
I don't want to use terminal for that. It should work without me getting into terminal. Apparently Elementary OS Freya is not giving any problem. I have also fixed my audio problem with AlsaMixer. Now testing another application in Windows which I will be running in Elementary if I like. Then I may install Elementary. But I wanted to try new KDE Plasma 5.

I don't want to use terminal for that. It should work without me getting into terminal.
That's hard in the Linux world. I believe it is not for average users, even with the refined distros. OR you will be needing a *NIX administrator!. No matter how much refined your Desktop looks, it is a community effort and users, sometimes need to roll up their sleeves.. - I mean, using terminal. Any ways, best of luck with your pursuing gui solutions for the problems.

Perhaps if Kubuntu has a daily ISO with a later kernel available, you may try to run that in live mode and see whether it works out of the box.
Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) Daily Build

That's hard in the Linux world. I believe it is not for average users, even with the refined distros. OR you will be needing a *NIX administrator!. No matter how much refined your Desktop looks, it is a community effort and users, sometimes need to roll up their sleeves.. - I mean, using terminal. Any ways, best of luck with your pursuing gui solutions for the problems.

Perhaps if Kubuntu has a daily ISO with a later kernel available, you may try to run that in live mode and see whether it works out of the box.
Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) Daily Build
I installed Elementary OS. It was working fine. But I had to install AMD proprietary drivers because I want to run software which use graphics a lot. When they were installing, I got black screen. It stayed there for 15 minutes. Then I force reboot it with computer's turn on button. After reboot, I got message of over range and then black screen. How can I install AMD proprietary drivers without no issue?

I installed LMDE 2 on a 180GB Intel 330 SSD in UEFI mode yesterday with all the basic tweaks to reduce frequent writes. Partitioned with gdisk chose GUID/GPT partition table; left ample unpartition space (over provisioning). It needs a EFI partition of around 200MB or more. Installed perfectly fine. chrooted to fix fstab lines and some other options. Overall, LMDE seems promising. Afterall, it's Debian Jessie in disguise. Cinnamon is the DE which reminds of old Gnome 2 times.

A problem was a new Dell E1914H monitor that I bought recently from snapdeal.com . Nvidia 7300GT card doesn't have 1366x768@60Hz mode working with the proprietary driver (it defaults into 1368x768 resulting in some clarity issues). Ended up adding custom modeline into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ which took some time. LMDE 2 boots in 6sec or so. instead of enabling TRIM, using cron to run fstrim command.
It is always good to install the monitors color profile(rgb) from the cd.
--

I installed Elementary OS. It was working fine. But I had to install AMD proprietary drivers because I want to run software which use graphics a lot. When they were installing, I got black screen. It stayed there for 15 minutes. Then I force reboot it with computer's turn on button. After reboot, I got message of over range and then black screen. How can I install AMD proprietary drivers without no issue?
With Linux, Hardware information is vital. What is your AMD card, is it onboard or a separate video card? I have not much experience with AMD cards. But, there are two options Open Source drivers and official drivers. There are PPA's(for Ubuntu) which will work as well for Elementary OS as it's a Ubuntu based distro. Editing with terminal(command line) cannot be avoided.
AMD drivers on Elementary OS Freya – AllienWorks

Back
Top Bottom