What's new

Linux corner

A New Arch Based Linux On Horizon: VeltOS

VeltOS-Linux.jpeg

Not going into the debate of “do we need more Linux distributions”, let me introduce you to a new Linux distribution, VeltOS.

VeltOS is an upcoming Linux distribution based on Arch Linux that brings together Budgie desktop and Numix theme. Sounds a lot likeAntergos Linux, isn’t it?

A New Arch Based Linux On Horizon: VeltOS

Quote from Reddit (This is so true)
Most people I know use their Windows PCs like they were "magical black boxes". They don't really understand how they work. They don't want to understand, actually. They (painfully) learn exactly one way to do a certain task, and if any of the steps change, even slightly, they feel lost, start to panic, and call the nearest geek acquaintance to "rescue" them and make things "right" again. Imagine putting them in front of a completely different operating system :)

And then there's the so-called "power users". They're actually worse. They have learned how to do common tasks in Windows, and a number of tricks to deal with common Windows annoyances, so they consider themselves "computer gurus". When confronted with a non-Windows operating system, however, all that knowledge is mostly useless, because they don't really know about how computers work. They only know about how Windows works. Upon realizing this, their pride is hurt, and the common knee-jerk reaction is "Linux sucks!" :)

Most people I know use their Windows PCs like they were "magical black boxes". They don't really understand how they work. They don't want to understand, actually. They (painfully) learn exactly one way to do a certain task, and if any of the steps change, even slightly, they feel lost, start to panic, and call the nearest geek acquaintance to "rescue" them and make things "right" again. Imagine putting them in front of a completely different operating system :)

And then there's the so-called "power users". They're actually worse. They have learned how to do common tasks in Windows, and a number of tricks to deal with common Windows annoyances, so they consider themselves "computer gurus". When confronted with a non-Windows operating system, however, all that knowledge is mostly useless, because they don't really know about how computers work. They only know about how Windows works. Upon realizing this, their pride is hurt, and the common knee-jerk reaction is "Linux sucks!" :)

Honestly Linux does suck. If you're not a developer, stick to Windows. :)

aah...the bait! It's now already late. Using Linux exclusively for 14 years or so now. Even in office, it's Debian now. No return back. Don't take that quote above personal. Windows is a nice desktop os for common people - happy? I don't disagree here. But, certain people cannot stick with your favourite OS.

I installed LMDE 2 on a 180GB Intel 330 SSD in UEFI mode yesterday with all the basic tweaks to reduce frequent writes.
Here is my linux box...

sda: ssd (boot)
sdb: ssd (home)
sdc: hdd (var and tmp)
sdd: ssd (work)
sde: hdd (back)

Directories /var and /tmp are, supposedly under linux, the ones with the most write operations. Mapping them to a spinner make sense if you are trying to reduce write operations to your ssd.

I work for a NAND wafer supplier and we sell only in wafer form. Intel is one of our clients. We sell the wafers with maps showing good, not so good, and bad dies. How the customer uses that wafer is none of our business. The conclusion from back end (BE) testing that simulate long term reliability is that even if you uses no tweaks, like 'discard', it would take literally yrs before the average user can ruin an ssd. On the other hand, data intensive operations like NASDAQ or Boeing can render an ssd 'read only' in about a couple yrs, meaning the data is not lost, just that the ssd determined that it is better to save the data in 'read only' mode since there is no possible write operations left. But these guys have the cash so they will hog up the ssd supplies, making ssd a little more expensive for average users like you and I.

I have no tweaks on my ssds. Never have any problems. All of them are still running fine after these yrs. The hdds were the ones changed. I have to backup my backup.

aah...the bait! It's now already late. Using Linux exclusively for 14 years or so now. Even in office, it's Debian now. No return back. Don't take that quote above personal. Windows is a nice desktop os for common people - happy? I don't disagree here. But, certain people cannot stick with your favourite OS.
Actually, he is not too far off...

What is wrong with these last Ubuntu version? I always have problem with network manager. I was unable to connect to internet because of it. It wasn't even trying to connect. I had to remove it and use pppoeconfig to connect my DSL network. Never had such a problem on Fedora. But I can't use Fedora because I have AMD GPU and Creative Sound Card.

Actually, he is not too far off...

I haven't watched the whole video because its 44 mins. But I think Linux really suck. No better support for proprietary drivers. Want companies to make their software open source. That is why Linux is bad for people with proprietary hardware. Also Linux focus more on working in command line. That is why command line works better than their alternative GUI. Its opposite in Windows. There are more but I will talk about it later.

does anyone know that Apple just make their Swift 2 Compiler Open source,
now it can run on Ubuntu

Or go zorin
linux-screenshot-zorin-os-6-1-lite-16.jpg

What is wrong with these last Ubuntu version? I always have problem with network manager. I was unable to connect to internet because of it. It wasn't even trying to connect. I had to remove it and use pppoeconfig to connect my DSL network. Never had such a problem on Fedora. But I can't use Fedora because I have AMD GPU and Creative Sound Card.

I haven't watched the whole video because its 44 mins. But I think Linux really suck. No better support for proprietary drivers. Want companies to make their software open source. That is why Linux is bad for people with proprietary hardware. Also Linux focus more on working in command line. That is why command line works better than their alternative GUI. Its opposite in Windows. There are more but I will talk about it later.
I still have the 12.04 so cant comment maybe it will get resolved in the next update

you dont 'understand' tv when all you want is to use it to watch some programs... people use pc for either gaming or improving productivity... in either case requiring to know too much is an investment.
I am not saying knowledge is bad, but at least windows tries to hide complexity for ordinary home users.
I dont have to say linux sucks, just saying 'I love windows' ruins the day of linux/mac fanboys... Its like going to an atheist convention and saying 'jesus loves you'... :)

I have been messing with the Linux for Years and so far have worked on
redhat, fedora, ubuntu, debian, my personal fav --- Debian --- due to its pakaging system apt.

Small distributions my fav -- Slax and slitaz

Actually I don't find any distribution with all the benifits and features I want.

1. Like say -- Pakaging system -- Debian apt
2. Removal of linux init with minit
3. Only the fly installation of Slax with superior
4. Mature Serverless X (Xorg is too clumsy)
5. Small footprint

I have working on a project on the Multihead. Any one who is expert here could help me.
I am feed up with this X.

2. Removal of linux init with minit
A "demon" has entered almost 1.5 years back replacing sys v init systems and replacements like upstart, initng etc. And the name of the demon is systemd. This will ruin Linux? Who knows if it's a ploy of defence agencies like NSA to sneak into the system much easier? Systemd wants to take over every functionality, leaving the simple design philosophy of UNIX* systems.

Will You Be Able To Run a Modern Desktop Environment In 2016 Without Systemd? - Slashdot
Without Systemd

I was having issues with network manager. I am back to Windows 10. At least it is activate. They only Linux distribution I am really satisfied with is Fedora. But now I have lots of proprietary hardware and Fedora is not good for proprietary hardware. Also I don't know how to stop kernel upgrades in Fedora.

I was having issues with network manager
Yes, the problem with Linux is that, this will not be a desktop friendly OS ever given the way, Linux is becoming a favourite server/embedded OS. As with Open Source software, the developers wants user like you to figure out how to report the problems to the redhat/fedora bug tracking system along with a backtrace. 1/100000 users will ever try that. Rather, those who have enough time to waste will try to find what will be the causing problems by googling for similar error messages or look at /var/log for clues.

tl;dr: It is good to choose a OS that is working without the need for support everytime a problem appears.

On topic: there's a replacement for network manager - wicd - download

i have completed RHCE but did not get certified :)

Certifications is BS... i did alot of certifications, CCNA, CCNP, MCITP(Server Admin), MCITP(Enterprise Admin), MS Exchange 2010, and some others.. After doing all that i still needed some other work like serving tea to the Boss, which i m not good at and people who r good at this beated me in promotions..

Switched to Business since then and now Boss of my own..

i Say go for ur own business.. and these certifications are not needed for business.

Back
Top Bottom