What's new

Libyan Rafales....

Keysersoze

Reaction score
Libya to order 13-18 French Rafale fighter jets in $3.24 b deal
Posted 1-20-2007 at 03:55 PM

Libya wants to order between 13 and 18 Rafale fighter jets from France in a deal worth as much as $3.24 billion, a French newspaper reported on Sunday.

The weekly Journal du Dimanche, citing a source close to the Libyan government, said Libya had taken the decision to order the aircraft over an offer from BAE Systems to modernize its ageing Russian MiGs as well as competing offers from China and Russia.

If confirmed, the deal would be the first foreign order for the 34 billion euro Rafale program, which has been shortlisted several times but which is yet to find a foreign buyer, prompting French officials to seek improvements to its radar system.

In 2004, the European Union lifted an arms embargo against Libya imposed in 1986.

Libya emerged from international isolation from 2003 when it accepted responsibility for the Lockerbie airliner bombings over Scotland and announced it would abandon its nuclear weapons program. Most U.S. sanctions were lifted in 2004.

Nice i think they are the First after the French to use the Rafle in the WORLD....

Waste of money if you ask me. 13-18 Rafales can be bought but maintaining them will be a huge burden, plus Libyans could get some medium tech planes and in numbers with AEW&C support their airforce can become more lethal.

I will not be surprised that French marketed the hell out of Rafale in Libya since it is already a large operator of the French aircrafts to replace some of its top line Mirages.

If the Rafale's can get their Radar sorted out, it is worth very penny if you ask me..Beautiful aircraft.

Waste of money if you ask me. 13-18 Rafales can be bought but maintaining them will be a huge burden, plus Libyans could get some medium tech planes and in numbers with AEW&C support their airforce can become more lethal.

I will not be surprised that French marketed the hell out of Rafale in Libya since it is already a large operator of the French aircrafts to replace some of its top line Mirages.

Apparently (according to some of my sources in PAK) they are getting a lot of funding from foreign sources as a "reward".
It was also the reason the were clearing the decks of all their older gear. (selling the sealed pack engines and airframes for the mirages a few years back)

Inerestingly enough I have just seen this.......the funny part is that this article is claiming that This is going to be the first sale of the rafale as well.

France discusses Rafale fighter sale to Morocco
France and Morocco are in advanced talks about the sale of up to 20 Rafale multirole fighters for the Moroccan Air Force.The deal would give Rafale manufacturer Dassault Aviation its long-awaited first export order for the fourth-generation French combat aircraft.
[Jane's Defence Industry - first posted to http://jdin.janes.com - 26 April 2007]

I think Libya would have been better off with an air craft such as the MIRAGE 2000-5 :D

Rafale is certainly the better plane, And Mirage_Lover you should be happy since Rafale is also a delta wing, and is a progression on Mirage 2000's series in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom