What's new

Libya: Qaddhafi Violates Ceasefire, Foreign Forces Mount Attack

The most sensible statement came from our own MMS:

India says that it wants to see citizens of North Africa and West Asia take their own decisions "free of outside interference".

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's statement follows India's abstention on a UN Security Council resolution approving the use of force to protect Libyan rebels.

The human desire for more freedom and for citizens to decide their own future is universal.

As a democracy, we are happy to see our brothers in West Asia and North Africa taking an increasing role in determining their own future ... but these are decisions for countries and their citizens to take for themselves, free of outside interference or coercion.

When's the bombing starting or has it started ?

No fly zone means.. UN forces bars Libyan Airforce to fly their aircrafts (or any unauthorized civilian aircraft too).. If they does, then only UN forces will take retaliatory action.

Turkey called for an immediate ceasefire in Libya and said it opposed foreign military intervention in the conflict.

The Turkish prime minister's office said in a statement that a UN Security Council decision authorising military action there was binding on all countries, but said a peaceful solution to the conflict should be found.

Turkey, the only Muslim member of the NATO alliance, has repeatedly spoken out against foreign military intervention in Libya

All this is off-topic ;) but anyway here goes...

The original post (in this thread) was about countering the "Wall Street Regime" and the US monopoly.

Now, I know below_freezing is not a racist or anything like that, but his thesis is that this is an alliance against the established players. My point is that it is just as likely for one of the up-and-commers to strike a deal with the ruling elite.

What is holding the also-rans together, other than the fact that they are not top dog?

I would look at it differently.

The "developing" world is not necessarily also ran as much as late to join the party.

BRIC can work together in self interest. They have lots of complementary strengths and the combined resources that they can deploy are formidable.

Now different countries may hav different motives but as long as all are benefiting, I don't see why it can't work. All it needs is initiative.

No fly zone means.. UN forces bars Libyan Airforce to fly their aircrafts.. If they does, then only UN forces will take retaliatory action.

I'm specifically asking about the bombing of Qadaffi's forces. And not eh establishment of No-Fly' zone which will have an almost Nil effect on the progress of Qaddafi's troops,.

India says that it wants to see citizens of North Africa and West Asia take their own decisions "free of outside interference".

Turkey called for an immediate ceasefire in Libya and said it opposed foreign military intervention in the conflict.

Meanwhile, Gaddafi continues massacring his people...

I would look at it differently.

It is an interesting debate, but probably we should leave it out of this thread.

Khalid Kaim, Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister, responds to the UN no-fly zone:

First of all, we are very grateful for the five countries that abstained, namely China, Russia, India, Brazil and Germany - what a surprise!

... we also this morning sent a letter to the Secretary General of the United Nations to give assurances to the international community that we care about our people and we care about the territorial unity of the country.

I'm specifically asking about the bombing of Qadaffi's forces. And not eh establishment of No-Fly' zone which will have an almost Nil effect on the progress of Qaddafi's troops,.

No resolution on bombing has been taken as of now.. The OP's news is a gross (mis)speculation.

To all the people who think this is a ploy by the evil West to invade a Muslim country and take over their oil, let's remember that it came to this only beause the Arab and Muslim countries were sitting around twiddling their thumbs while this monster was bombing his own people.

If the brotherly Arabs had intervened for a diplomatic solution, all the killing could have been avoided.

Meanwhile, Gaddafi continues massacring his people...

Do talk about significantly high peaceful civilian protester's deaths in US backed Yemen & my residence country vis-a-vis Libyan armed struggle..

Do talk about significantly high peaceful civilian protester's deaths in US backed Yemen & my residence country vis-a-vis Libyan armed struggle..

Didn't the Saudis bomb Yemeni protestors and send troops to squash the Bahraini protestors?
And they offered to pick up the $2 billion/year tab for Hosni Mubarak if the US dumped him.

Never doubt the Saudis' willingness to support tyrants, either by actively killing protestors or by letting local dictators do the job.

Bomb every Muslim country. if they cant get united against the aggressors then they dont have any right to exist.

Back
Top Bottom