What's new

Let us show ancient swords and discuss their properties.

To evaluate swords, the price is not the most thing. The highest rank of sword in Japan is Tang sword, the sword from China Tang dynasty.
View attachment 74602
The shape and craftwork of Japanese sword was copied from Tang sword.

If we are talking about most valuable sword, in Japan catagory is Tang sword.
If we are talking about most practical sword, the Japanese sword and Tang sword is not suitable for army. The cost of Tang sword is too high and too fragile. Even one of the strongest dynasty Tang could not afford their army. The blade of Tang sword and Japanese sword are very easy to be curved, because it is too thin. In the battlefield, you have to shapen the blade, and the sword becomes fragiler and fragiler. The Japanese sword has the same problem.

So there is another question, we compare the sword for troops or for leaders? There are big difference. A highest rank Japanese sword is almost perfect except duration problem, but the price is too high to equip the whole army. The sword to against Japan shown in #6 is wrong.
View attachment 74603
This is the specially produced sword to against Japanese in Ming dynasty. They are used in small battles, and at that time China has complete steel industry, we can afford those fragile swords. Normally the sword in use is like
View attachment 74604
The high durability is most important thing to warfare far away from the logistic centers. For such warfare there is no difference between the soldiers and leaders. Leaders have to use the same weapon like a soldier, because the special weapon is very easily ruined or lost.

If I am an officer in the capital, i will chose the first sword #6, because this kind of chinese sword is for decoration for officers, beautiful and tasty.

If I am an soldier I will choose the chian mail, the last pic #5 or second sword #6. I need a sword can be used 100000 times. the chian mail should be a sword for cavalry, the second sword #6 is for normal soldier.

Are sword #14 for warfare in jungle? They may need sword to clean the road, also practical.

It was original used for agriculture, most likely cutting off weeds, grass or other foliage, but its slashing capability made it also useful as a weapon.

It was original used for agriculture, most likely cutting off weeds, grass or other foliage, but its slashing capability made it also useful as a weapon.
Those kind of sword is also used in the south china, but they are applied as tools not weapon. Therefore, I think this sword is also practical.

Swords are over rated. Most armies in ancient times used spears for their longer reach. Once you lose your spear, then you might have to use a sword.
e9a0e1f5c366ecf8ad867463d97c2de0.jpg

Chinese armies during the Qin dynasty used the dagger axe, a polearm weapon that can be used for thrusting and slashing.

This dude has a sword but its a weapon of last resort, not counting his fists and feet.

In feudal Japan, what the Samurais were keen to use in dispatching cavalry as well as heavy infantry was the Yari . It was a blade (Nihonto) in the form of a spear. Samurais were trained to wield the Yari through the martial art form called Sojutsu 槍術.

baa8964e3fc327c2b1f5ed03e10d72a3.jpg

e15bbf35c425225b6b588705b2b77367.jpg

daimyo-yari-big.jpg

74ca2f5783d33411ab4f1876987d7b14.jpg

Klic blade of the Muslim Ottoman Caliphate, forged out of the mysterious Damascus steel.

klic18yy.jpg

Blade of the Ottoman Caliph, Sultan Mohammed Fatih, the Conqueror of Istanbul. Forged out of Damascus Steel.

140113-the-sword-of-conqueror-fatih-sultan-mehmed-in-topkapi-palace-istanbul-turkey.jpg

Sword of the Sultan Fatih Ali Tipu.

174ccb5f04eb81942c6a0a2fa299ce3a.jpg

Blade of Sultan Fatih Ali Tipu, the defender of Kingdom of Mysore. This blade was found in his hand after he was Killed in Action in 1857.

fb555d7adfa683fab6ae36d14727acdc.jpg

Last edited:
The Sword of General Tomoyuki Yamashita,
"The Tiger of Malaya"
"The Beast of Bataan"

3bccd76828031da7717497d136bb7293.jpg

c881664d6d7f0c63f4dfe1860af481ad.jpg

d9cb190b377fba9cf0ff6e92611a8133.jpg

Tomoyuki Yamashita was a general in Japan’s Imperial Army during World War 2 who had a samurai sword from the 17th century, made by the famous Fujiwara Kanenaga. When Tomoyuki was trialed for war crimes and executed, General Douglas MacArthur took the sword and gave it to the West Point Military Museum, where it has stayed to this day.​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom