What's new

Lenovo launches ‘world’s thinnest 14-inch ultrabook’ ThinkPad X1 Carbon

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Lenovo launches ‘world’s thinnest 14-inch ultrabook’ ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon in this file photo.
By tech2 News Staff / 12 Jan 2014 , 11:10:41
Lenovo showed off the new and updated version of the ThinkPad X1 Carbon at the ongoing CES festival in Las Vegas. Lenovo is touting the new ThinkPad X1 Carbon as the world’s lightest 14 inch ultra book.

“Lenovo continues to push the boundaries of design and technology as we aspire to create the best products in the market. The ThinkPad X1 Carbon delivers a stunning user experience with the best professional display and new interactive methods and represents another step in our PC plus journey”, said Peter Hortensius, SVP and president, Think Business Group, Lenovo in a press release.

The new X1 Carbon weighing only 2.8 pounds (around 1.2 kgs). Despite the light weight, Lenovo claims the ultra book is made from toughest materials and has excellent durability. The company claims that the X1 is made from same material as aircrafts and racing cars – namely Carbon Fiber – which while weighing less than magnesium and aluminum, is stronger than both.

The new X1 Carbon has an Adaptive Keyboard, which dynamically adjusts based on the software or application being used to highlight the most relevant keys. The new ultrabook also integrates voice and gesture control.

As far as battery goes, Lenovo says it comes with 9 hour batter life and users can get 80 percent charge in under an hour. It also has optional built-in 4G capability. It has the option of going for an Intel Core i7 with up to Intel HD Graphics 5000 powers. It runs Windows 8.1. The display resolution is 2560 x 1440 pixels. The Ultrabook has 8GB RAM and 512 GB of SSD.

It also supports Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi and 2 USB 3.0 ports and support for a full-size HDMI cable.

The ThinkPad X1 Carbon start at $1299 and will be available from late January. No word on any India launch date or pricing.

Lenovo widens lead as PC market decline slows
lenovoflex14_gallery-100222013-large.png

Mark Hachman@markhachman
Jan 10, 2014 8:51 AM
Analysts at both Gartner and IDC reported the seventh straight quarter of declining PC shipments, although both firms saw a light at the end of the tunnel.

Of the top PC vendors, Lenovo widened its lead over HP and Dell on a worldwide basis during the fourth quarter of 2013, as the Chinese PC maker was one of the few to show positive growth.

The decline of the traditional PC has become almost an accepted fact, with Windows 8 an Windows 8.1 having failed to stem the tide of users rushing to tablets and phones. IDC reported that PC market slipped 5.6 percent to 82.2 million units, better than the 6.0 percent that the firm expected. Gartner said that the dip was 6.9 percent from a year ago, to 82.6 million units.

Still, both market-research firms at least spoke somewhat positively about the future. “Although PC shipments continued to decline in the worldwide market in the fourth quarter, we increasingly believe markets, such as the U.S., have bottomed out as the adjustment to the installed base slows,” said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner, in a statement. “Strong growth in tablets continued to negatively impact PC growth in emerging markets. In emerging markets, the first connected device for consumers is most likely a smartphone, and their first computing device is a tablet. As a result, the adoption of PCs in emerging markets will be slower as consumers skip PCs for tablets.”

iCharts
For 2013, IDC said, total PC shipments declined 10.0 percent, as consumers continued to take a wait-and-see attitude. “Total shipments have now declined for seven consecutive quarters, and even the holiday shopping season was unable to inspire a turn in consumer spending,” Loren Loverde, an analyst at IDC, said in a statement.

Both firms reported that while Lenovo increased worldwide PC sales during the fourth quarter, HP, which was in second place, saw units shipments fall. IDC said that Lenovo’s sales grew 9 percent to 15.3 million units, or an 18.6 percent market share. HP saw sales fall by 8.5 percent to 13.8 million units, or 16.8 percent share. Dell saw sales grow about 5.8 percent, giving it 12.2 percent market share. Acer’s sales plunged more than 21 percent, giving it 6.4 percent of the market, slightly higher than Asus, at 6.1 percent market share.

Within the United States alone, Lenovo couldn’t climb out of fourth place. Gartner said that HP’s shipments slipped 10.3 percent to 4.2 million units, or 26.5 percent market share. Dell grew 7.4 percent to 3.6 million units, or 22.8 percent share.

There was an unusual anomaly with the sales figures both firms reported for Apple. According to Gartner, Apple ranked third, with a strong 28.5 percent increase to 2.2 million units, or 13.7 percent share. But IDC reported that Apple's sales fell by 5.7 percent to 1.59 million units, good enough for 9.3 percent market share -- and fourth place.

Otherwise, within the United States, Lenovo grew 3.5 percent to 1.5 million units, or 9.7 percent share, Gartner reported. Only Toshiba saw sales fall, down 13.9 percent to 1.1 million units and a 7.2 percent market share.

The key to the PC's future success, according to IDC, will be lower-cost thin-and-light products.

“Holiday sales of technology products were strong in the U.S. market, but consumer spending during the holidays did not come back to PCs as tablets were one of the hottest holiday items,” said IDC’s Kitagawa. “We think that the U.S. PC market has bottomed out. A variety of new form factors, such as hybrid notebooks, drew holiday shoppers’ attention, but the market size was very small at the time. Lowering the price point of thin and light products started encouraging the PC replacement and potentially some PC growth in 2014.”

Lenovo widens lead as PC market decline slows | PCWorld

Looks nice, that ultrabook. I might get it, I hope Lenovo has improved its keyboard though. It always feels very plasticy and cheap.

I use Asus UX32vd...I'm in love with ultrabooks!

I would love to wave that before some of the pathetic mac Air fanatics at my firm.

Take that Apple .. in your face ...

I've been buying Lenovo products for ages, long before they became a global company.

Now Lenovo is the #1 PC manufacturer on Earth. :D

Really excellent company.

And comes with Chinese Government tracking software...

Just kidding, Lenovo computer are even used at some banks I've seen, and popular with Chinese students. They sure are making a good name for themselves, although it will take them many years till Lenovo can reach the rank of Samsung.

I have used it in my friend house nice machine but for me Asus is best cheap with quality...

Asus is most underrated..

So the major PC players are evenly divided between the Chinese(Lenovo、Acer and Asus with combined market share of 31.3%)and the Americans(HP and Dell,combined market share 26%)。

Don't know about the US,but there are a host of smaller PC players in Mainland China such as Hasee、Founder、Tongfang and Haier

I've been buying Lenovo products for ages, long before they became a global company.

Now Lenovo is the #1 PC manufacturer on Earth. :D

Really excellent company.

They are doing really well indeed.
I have always seen them being displayed with Sony, Toshiba, Samsung and Macs. It is definitely a good brand.

I ordered mine in November and I did not get it... the reason I was given was there was a fire and they lost stock. Still waiting for it.

CES 2014: Lenovo's Horizon 2 Tabletop PC Is A Media-Sharing Monster
Just when you thought desktops were passe, Lenovo pulls you back in...

By
Matt Safford
Posted 01.08.2014 at 11:30 am

Lenovo%20Horizon%202%20Aura%20scan.jpg

Just when you thought it was time to give up on desktops, Lenovo has made one worth at least a little notice. With a large 27-inch touch display, Intel Core i7 internals, a battery, and the ability to function as a standard iMac-like desktop or dip all the way down to become a massive table-like touch surface, the Horizon 2 is a seriously forward-thinking desktop -- a phrase we didn't think we'd be saying again.

Its most impressive feat is how it interacts with your smartphone or tablet. Install an app, and you can drop your device anywhere on the screen and an interface will pop up around it, showing your recent photos, letting you pull them off the handset and onto the PC. You can also pick your phone up off the screen and shake it, and recent photos "fall" from your phone and appear on the Horizon's massive display.

Lenovo says they couldn't accomplish this through standard wireless-transfer means like NFC. Instead, when you drop the phone down, a series of color-changing lines scan across the display for a couple seconds. As the lines slide across your phone's rear-facing camera lens, the surface records color and timing, telling the Horizon 2 precisely where your phone is on the screen.

With so much focus on mobile computing, the traditional desktop has felt a bit like a dinosaur as of late (outside of gaming circles, at least). But the Horizon 2 feels futuristic and slick -- did we mention that it's also less than an inch thick, even with a battery that's expected to last about four hours? If the consumer desktop has a future, it probably looks a lot like this.

The Horizon 2 is expected to be available sometime in June, for around $1,500.

CES 2014: Lenovo's Horizon 2 Tabletop PC Is A Media-Sharing Monster | Popular Science

lenovo-horizon-II-35833731-0090_610x407.jpg

credit: reviews.cnet.com

_72097560_hi020514899.jpg

Credit bbc

Lenovo-Horizon-Review-151.jpg

Credit: gottabemobile.com

Lenovo-IdeaCenter-Horizon_1.jpg

credit: blog.laptopmag

20130108lenovo27inch.jpg

credit: .macobserver

Last edited:
Back