Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Protect me? They can’t even protect my art: M F Husain

Anubha Sawhney Joshi & Himanshi Dhawan, TNN 30 October 2009, 01:27am IST
|

MUMBAI/DELHI: The government might be finally moving to make things easier for India's renowned painter M F Husain to return to his homeland after four years of exile, but the 94-year-old artist is hardly impressed. Nor is he taking seriously the home ministry's efforts to club three pending cases against him so as to ensure their speedy disposal.

``What are they talking about?'' asked Husain in a telephonic conversation with TOI from Dubai. ``The India Art Summit held in August this year did not feature a single work by me. The reason given was that they could not afford to take the `risk'. How will they protect me if they cannot protect my work? How can I trust them?'' (Read full interview in TOI-Crest this Saturday.)

The artist feels that it's not just a question of legal cases against him. That did not force him to leave India. What caused his exile were the threats of physical harm to him by saffron groups. He wondered what would happen to him if he actually returned. ``They can, of course, promise me a bullet-proof car and the works. But, then, did Indira Gandhi or Rajiv Gandhi have any less security?''

On its part, the home ministry plans to approach the Supreme Court and request it club the three cases pending in Delhi, Gujarat and Maharashtra ^ and move for their early disposal. Said Husain's lawyer Akhil Sibal: ``Any positive step by the government is welcome. But we would also like to see a clear message that the government would do everything within the law to prevent his harassment.''

Husain said his case was not unique: ``From Galileo to Pablo Neruda, creativity has been exiled many times. I am not the first one.'' Still, the artist said he was deeply hurt by the way ``a few'' have treated him. ``It's a tremendous hurt. I'm Indian. Why should I beg these people to call me back to my country?''

M F Husain

Protect me? They can?t even protect my art: M F Husain - India - The Times of India

Protect me? They can’t even protect my art: M F Husain

Anubha Sawhney Joshi & Himanshi Dhawan, TNN 30 October 2009, 01:27am IST
|

MUMBAI/DELHI: The government might be finally moving to make things easier for India's renowned painter M F Husain to return to his homeland after four years of exile, but the 94-year-old artist is hardly impressed. Nor is he taking seriously the home ministry's efforts to club three pending cases against him so as to ensure their speedy disposal.

``What are they talking about?'' asked Husain in a telephonic conversation with TOI from Dubai. ``The India Art Summit held in August this year did not feature a single work by me. The reason given was that they could not afford to take the `risk'. How will they protect me if they cannot protect my work? How can I trust them?'' (Read full interview in TOI-Crest this Saturday.)

The artist feels that it's not just a question of legal cases against him. That did not force him to leave India. What caused his exile were the threats of physical harm to him by saffron groups. He wondered what would happen to him if he actually returned. ``They can, of course, promise me a bullet-proof car and the works. But, then, did Indira Gandhi or Rajiv Gandhi have any less security?''

On its part, the home ministry plans to approach the Supreme Court and request it club the three cases pending in Delhi, Gujarat and Maharashtra ^ and move for their early disposal. Said Husain's lawyer Akhil Sibal: ``Any positive step by the government is welcome. But we would also like to see a clear message that the government would do everything within the law to prevent his harassment.''

Husain said his case was not unique: ``From Galileo to Pablo Neruda, creativity has been exiled many times. I am not the first one.'' Still, the artist said he was deeply hurt by the way ``a few'' have treated him. ``It's a tremendous hurt. I'm Indian. Why should I beg these people to call me back to my country?''

M F Husain

Protect me? They can?t even protect my art: M F Husain - India - The Times of India

He also said that he is dying to be in India. And well it is not India that Hussain doesn't trust, it is right wing Hindu groups that he doesn't trust. Just for the sake of propaganda doesn't make this post or your outlook towards India credible. Also, he did offend Indians by painting nude an Indian Goddess. What if a Hindu Indian paints Allah in such a light? Would it be nice? I guess not.

And if you or for that matter Hussain is talking about creativity, why did Muslims all over the world rant and whine, when a danish newspaper came out with a cartoon of Allah?
Talk about trust and creativity.

And by the way, I didn't rant or whine when Hussain painted one of our Goddess nude nor did majority of the Indians. I was into my daily life as I am now.

Last edited:
Can't stop your obsession with Indian muslims can you? :)

Since when did sculpting images or painting idols be a defining thing about being Muslim when infact this in itself is frowned upon.

You could very well have kept the heading as "Indian painter" but your obsession didn't stop you from doing it. Well good for you

He also said that he is dying to be in India. And well it is not India that Hussain doesn't trust, it is right wing Hindu groups that he doesn't trust. Just for the sake of propaganda doesn't make this post or your outlook towards India credible.

He is a true Indian and he said it many times that he was not happy to be in exile but he feared for life due to Hindu Fundamentalist groups.

The above post is not mine but what this leged artist said about.

If he had casts doubts over inability of Indian government against Right wing extremist Hindu groups as you also mentioned that he fears these groups, then indeed its failur of Indian government against these hardliners.

Also, he did offend Indians by painting nude an Indian Goddess. What if a Hindu Indian paints Allah in such a light? Would it be nice? I guess not.

And if you or for that matter Hussain is talking about creativity, why did Muslims all over the world rant and whine, when a danish newspaper came out with a cartoon of Allah?
Talk about trust and creativity.

The Indian ancient art is full of nude Hindu dieties and some are in such a vulgar postures that even some civilized sections in India too wont appreciate that.

So your excuse is the lamest one. Nude sculptures of Hindu gods and godesses is not a new thing and you can find in Hinduism.

There are many temples thousands of years old where you can find these nude sculptures of Hindu dieties.

whereas we Muslims have no such tendency in our religion so comparing our case with Indian one is totally wrong.

Can't stop your obsession with Indian muslims can you? :)

Since when did sculpting images or painting idols be a defining thing about being Muslim when infact this in itself is frowned upon.

You could very well have kept the heading as "Indian painter" but your obsession didn't stop you from doing it. Well good for you

Oh dear its not about Muslims. So keep aside that :)

Oh dear its not about Muslims. So keep aside that :)

then why did you title the thread"legend indian muslim artist".....when you could have put self exiled indian artist....

dont give me crappy answers for the title.......

then why did you title the thread"legend indian muslim artist".....when you could have put self exiled indian artist....

dont give me crappy answers for the title.......

Ok lets agree what you said about the title. we can change that no issue.

Lets back to the topic and tell me was that justified to treat MF Hussain by most of fundamentalist Hindu organisations for his painting about Hindu godess?

Lets back to the topic and tell me was that justified to treat MF Hussain by most of fundamentalist Hindu organisations for his painting about Hindu godess?

Yes and NO.

If any Godly Idol say that of Christ.. or Gurunanak or even Kayedeazam is painted with similar colors of MF Hussain will it be Acceptable by anyone.. Wont the respective communities be offended ?

But, I agree, MF Hussain is a Great Artist, Hist work should have been judged in the domains of Art Only.

No the action of Hindu fundamentalists were not justified, hence dropping of all the charges against the painter by them.

Change the title of the thread and grow out of the tunnel vision.

Yes and NO.

If any Godly Idol say that of Christ.. or Gurunanak or even Kayedeazam is painted with similar colors of MF Hussain will it be Acceptable by anyone.. Wont the respective communities be offended ?

But, I agree, MF Hussain is a Great Artist, Hist work should have been judged in the domains of Art Only.

Agreed with you on the first part of your post and i would NOT support anything that could insult your religion or any.

In this case the question is when Hinduism is full of such art pieces or text or sculptures showing Hindu dieties in Nude and sex positions then where is the reason for objection when an artist had depicted the same ???

Agreed with you on the first part of your post and i would NOT support anything that could insult your religion or any.

In this case the question is when Hinduism is full of such art pieces or text or sculptures showing Hindu dieties in Nude and sex positions then where is the reason for objection when an artist had depicted the same ???

Jana,

The - "nude" and "sex" - sculptures that you are referring to as found in temples are NEVER of Gods and Godesses.

I am fine with all that has been attributed to MF Hussain. But whats really naughty of you was to add this title:
"Legend Indian Muslim artist doesnt trust India"
Meaning,
1. You had to bring the religious angle to it! :)
2. Where did he say he did not trust India ?
:azn:

Jana,

The - "nude" and "sex" - sculptures that you are referring to as found in temples are NEVER of Gods and Godesses.

:) You need to check it again.

I am fine with all that has been attributed to MF Hussain. But whats really naughty of you was to add this title:
"Legend Indian Muslim artist doesnt trust India"
Meaning,
1. You had to bring the religious angle to it! :)
2. Where did he say he did not trust India ?
:azn:

This is what he said

("``What are they talking about?'' asked Husain in a telephonic conversation with TOI from Dubai. ``The India Art Summit held in August this year did not feature a single work by me. The reason given was that they could not afford to take the `risk'. How will they protect me if they cannot protect my work? How can I trust them?'' (Read full interview in TOI-Crest this Saturday.)

None of the Hindu Gods are Pictured Nude in any Mandir.

There existance of idols and sculptures which u refer to but they are NOT GODs whom Hindus worship.

The Khajuraho temples do not contain sexual or erotic art inside the temple or near the deities; however, some external carvings bear erotic art. Also, some of the temples that have two layers of walls have small erotic carvings on the outside of the inner wall. There are many interpretations of the erotic carvings. They portray that, for seeing the deity, one must leave his or her sexual desires outside the temple. They also show that divinity, such as the deities of the temples, is pure like the atman, which is not affected by sexual desires and other characteristics of the physical body. It has been suggested that these suggest tantric sexual practices. Meanwhile, the external curvature and carvings of the temples depict humans, human bodies, and the changes that occur in human bodies, as well as facts of life. Some 10% of the carvings contain sexual themes; those reportedly do not show deities, they show sexual activities between people. The rest depict the everyday life of the common Indian of the time when the carvings were made, and of various activities of other beings. For example, those depictions show women putting on makeup, musicians, potters, farmers, and other folks. Those mundane scenes are all at some distance from the temple deities. A common misconception is that, since the old structures with carvings in Khajuraho are temples, the carvings depict sex between deities.[5]

Another perspective of these carvings is presented by James McConnachie. In his history of the Kamasutra, McConnachie describes the zesty 10% of the Khajuraho sculpture as "the apogee of erotic art": "Twisting, broad-hipped and high breasted nymphs display their generously contoured and bejewelled bodies on exquisitely worked exterior wall panels. These fleshy apsaras run riot across the surface of the stone, putting on make-up, washing their hair, playing games, dancing, and endlessly knotting and unknotting their girdles....Beside the heavenly nymphs are serried ranks of griffins, guardian deities and, most notoriously, extravagantly interlocked maithunas, or lovemaking couples."

The Fundamental Setup/rule of India where a Boy and A Girl can still not meet freely/openly before marrige ; is a direct derivation of the closed and highly respected culture that is common to Islam and Hinduism in South Asia, a sharp contrast to the West.

"kama" ( sex ) is one of the "deviations" or "Maya" in Hindueism ; Some what NO ALLOWED or Negative. It cant be Depicted in Places of Worship.

If a Hindu painter in Pakistan depicted Islamic prophets nude, I could have imagined how much "safe" he must have felt in that country.

If someone hurts a particular community's religious sentiments, that person should have the courtesy to apologize. Sadly, that is not the case with Mr. Hussain, or in other words, "legendary Indian Muslim".

Now don't make me start on the way Muslims ridiculed and threatened Jyllands-Posten, Salman Rushdie and Taslima Nasrin.

Last edited:
If a Hindu painter in Pakistan depicted Islamic prophets nude, I could have imagined how much "safe" he must have felt in that country.

We do not allow nudity in any form. Whereas you can see such sculptures in Khajuraho, Konark Sun Temple in India etc

Back
Top Bottom