What's new

Lee Kuan Yew

muse

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Lee Kuan Yew, Grand Master of Asia

Graham Allison, Robert D. Blackwill

March 1, 2013

On his desk in the Oval Office, President John F. Kennedy kept a small plaque that reminded him of the vicissitudes of life, even for the leader of the most powerful nation on earth. It read: “Oh God, my boat is so small and thy ocean so large.” In the turbulent sea in which statesmen, corporate leaders, investors, and the rest of us are trying to get our bearings in international affairs today, where can one find wise coordinates?

In thinking about the rise of China, the stumbling of the United States, the potential of India, or the claim that the twenty-first century will belong to Asia, whom should we look to for insight about this uncertain future? Among the seven billion inhabitants of planet Earth today, only one has created a modern Asian city-state whose six million citizens now enjoy higher levels of income than Americans. Only one individual has been called “mentor” by Deng Xiaoping, the Chinese leader who initiated China's march to the market, and its new leader Xi Jinping. Only one individual has been called upon for counsel about these developments by every U.S. president from Richard Nixon to Barack Obama. That individual is Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of Singapore.

Over the past 18 months, we have been privileged to engage Lee Kuan Yew in a series of interviews and conversations about these issues. Having listened, reviewed what he has written and said in other settings, and then returned to follow up, we have been able to drill down in ways that capture many of his most penetrating strategic insights.

As they have embraced the magic of Adam Smith’s marketplace, Asian economies have grown at unprecedented rates. In a nation of 1.3 billion, China has raised more than 600 million people out of conditions of abject poverty and created a rapidly expanding middle class already larger than the entire population of the United States. On its current trajectory, for the first time in history, millions of individuals will experience a one-hundred-fold increase in their standard of living in a single lifetime. In Europe, that took one thousand years.

After three decades of double-digit growth, an economy that was smaller than Spain’s in 1980 now ranks second in the world and will become number one in the next decade. Do China’s leaders intend to displace the United States as the predominant power in Asia in the foreseeable future? Lee Kuan Yew answers: “Of course. Why not? Their reawakened sense of destiny is an overpowering force.” Will a China that has risen to become the world's largest economy follow the path chosen by Japan and Germany, accepting its place within the postwar order created by the United States? Lee says decidedly not. “It is China’s intention to become the greatest power in the world—and to be accepted as China, not as an honorary member of the west.”

Nevertheless, Western ideals of individuals’ basic rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness have become part of the mental geography of China’s “golden billion,” who are becoming increasingly part of the world outside China. Lee thinks this bodes well for the future of the Asia-Pacific: “peace and security in the region will turn on whether China emerges as a xenophobic, chauvinistic force, bitter and hostile to the West, or educated and involved in the ways of the world, more cosmopolitan, more internationalized and outward looking.”

Will India rival or even surpass China’s rise? The U.S. government recently asked its $50 billion intelligence community this question. Their recently released report, Global Trends 2030, forecasts that “the most rapid growth of the middle class will occur in Asia, with India somewhat ahead of China in the long term.” Lee Kuan Yew disagrees strongly. As he puts it, provocatively: “When Nehru was in charge, I thought India showed promise of becoming a thriving society and a great power,” but it has not “because of its stifling bureaucracy” and its “rigid caste system.” Being deliberately provocative, Lee says: “India is not a real country. Instead it is thirty-two separate nations that happen to be arrayed along the British rail line.”

In the competition between East and West, he expects Asia to overshadow the Euro-Atlantic powers. The principal reasons why have more to do with culture than with numbers. In his view, “Westerners have abandoned an ethical basis for society, believing that all problems are solvable by a good government. In the East, we start with self-reliance.”

No one will agree with all of Lee's views. No one, however, can fail to be challenged by his direct, pithy answers, or to be enlightened by his insights. For navigating in the buzzing, booming confusion of international affairs today, the strategic grand master is a source of wise coordinates.

Graham Allison is director of Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and Robert D. Blackwill is Henry A. Kissinger senior fellow for U.S. foreign policy at the Council on Foreign Relations. They are coauthors of Lee Kuan Yew: The Grand Master’s Insights on China, the United States, and the World, published Feb. 1 by MIT
Press).

“India is not a real country. Instead it is thirty-two separate nations that happen to be arrayed along the British rail line.”
looks like foreigners really have hard time coming to terms with our country's HUGE diversity where people from so many different race, culture, tribes and religion who speak more than thousand different languages can live together in harmony
Man I am really very proud of my country's diversity

I don't think there is any need for defensiveness -- For the entire subcontinent, political organization is a huge problem and Yew's description is accurate and reveals his frustration - The "gifts" of bureaucracy and political fragmentation, that we "celebrate" without keeping in mind that these things were supposed to be Means to an End, not Ends in themselves, should at least be subjects in the public consciousness

He is Hakka, but isn't puppet of China, he is smart, i think so.

His views about India shows he has no idea about India and economic development has nothing to do with ethnicity, language or religion.

USA when it was founded was a multi ethnic in nature, people from all the countries of europe migrated to North America and built that country to become a super power.

The same logic applies to India, we know how to be tolerant and co exist :cheers:

Too much praise for China in that article whose economic growth is about to slow down in the coming decade.

In fact, Lee Kuan Yew can be considered anti-China, but he is strong promoter of Eastern (especially Chinese) culture. His book "How to build a nation" is great. It can be used to forecast the future of world countries for next hundred years and pretty accurate since published in 1995.

I don't think there is any need for defensiveness -- For the entire subcontinent, political organization is a huge problem and Yew's description is accurate and reveals his frustration - The "gifts" of bureaucracy and political fragmentation, that we "celebrate" without keeping in mind that these things were supposed to be Means to an End, not Ends in themselves, should at least be subjects in the public consciousness

No it is not, India has done it for 65 years on the basis of "Secularism" and "Unity in Diversity". Any thing on top of it like economic development and empowerment of society can be built easily.

I cannot express how sad it is to read Indian and Chinese friends who imagine that thy are in some sort of competition with each other, or are struggling for the glory of particular political systems -- To view this from a little distance, from on high so to speak, lets keep in mind, what are our goals, what is that we seek to achieve? why do we seek to achieve this (whatever it is)

If I may the authors point the way -- what is the purpose of politics? If your answer is anything other than, "to do good", your educations is deficient. So, in our Asian context, what is the Good? Ok, take it easy, look at it another way, what is bad? Poverty, indignity of a brutal life, the lack of a good quality education, life with the ravages of diseases, etc, etc - can we now better answer what is the good? sure we can - consider:
In a nation of 1.3 billion, China has raised more than 600 million people out of conditions of abject poverty and created a rapidly expanding middle class already larger than the entire population of the United States. On its current trajectory, for the first time in history, millions of individuals will experience a one-hundred-fold increase in their standard of living in a single lifetime. In Europe, that took one thousand years.

After three decades of double-digit growth, an economy that was smaller than Spain’s in 1980 now ranks second in the world and will become number one in the next decade.

I want that for Pakistan, I want it for India and Bangla and Lanka and Nepal, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkiye, for all Asia, Africa, everyone in the world -- So the good is a higher standard of living affording us lives of dignity, quality education and a sense of refinement to assess and enjoy the arts, to build relations with others that allow us to appreciate them and empathize with them.

So now we have our objective, our Ends (the Good)

Now how do we get there, how do we get to those Ends? by what Means?

Mr. Yew is suggesting that our Means, - and he identifies three items - the bureaucracy, he contends is inefficient and cumbersome, it does not promote or propel us to the Ends we seek - He also Identifies the Caste System as an impediment, as an inefficiency, why should govt be in the business of caste and reservations? -- Then he points out that because of the next Means, political organization, India and the same goes for all sub-continent present itself not as a single country but as multiple countries, this inefficiency acts to impose costs when it comes to consolidation of Ends and Means, it makes arriving at consensus cumbersome and difficult.

Instead of taking these observations as an offense, I think we should all be humbled that a man of great achievement has been kind, benevolent, if you will, towards those who will consider his observations and how we may seek advantage and opportunity in his observations.

Ends and Means, sometimes we confuse which is which

looks like foreigners really have hard time coming to terms with our country's HUGE diversity where people from so many different race, culture, tribes and religion who speak more than thousand different languages can live together in harmony
Man I am really very proud of my country's diversity

Can't you read the English?

Nobody denies your diversity.

In fact, per the article, your union is in such a HUGE diversity that it is akin to a 32 nations each with "different race, culture, tribes and religion"

The article is in reinforcement of your arguments, not denying it.

I like Lee Kuan Yew despite some of his viewpoints, he turned Singapore from a slum into a first rate country. The CPC praised Lee governance in fact looking at it as a model, I agree with some of his views on Asian values.

yes singapore is great city. lets see if it can be the same way in the next gen.

He is an ethnic Han Chinese (Hakka), but that is just his race/ethnicity.

In terms of identity, he is a Singaporean. He built up Singapore from nothing into a first-world city, that is his true legacy.

You claimed on PDF that you are Hakka. Hakka are a subgroup of the Han Chinese (not all Han are Hakka) that originated in northern China. For the term identity, citizenship is most important, but for the characters of each in individual, ethnicity play same role. "Hakka is the Jews of Asia".http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/lang/hakka/english/a/a.htm

You claimed on PDF that you are Hakka. Hakka are a subgroup of the Han Chinese that originated in northern China. For the term identity, citizenship is most important, but for the characters of each in individual, ethnicity play same role. "Hakka is the Jews of Asia".http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/lang/hakka/english/a/a.htm

That's right. :wave: I am a Hong Kong Cantonese, of Hakka descent.

For the term identity, citizenship is most important, but for the characters of each in individual, ethnicity play same role. "Hakka is the Jews of Asia".http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/lang/hakka/english/a/a.htm

Lee Kuan Yew is a Singaporean, and I admire what he has done for his country.

Back
Top Bottom