What's new

Learn to speak Farsi/ Persian on PDF!

@ ahmed
if u dont use the persian script i'd never b able to read the rustum n sohrab epic n sheikh saadi..:cry:
is it possible to write the words in origional script when u give the english ones..that ll help!

You are right, it is alot easier and quicker to use the original script as it is the same to Urdo sctript, but if anybody cant understand that script then the roman ones will also be used. I think our teacher brother Pasban can take into consideration. With regards to Rustam and Sohrab, it is in Shahnama book of Ferdowsi. One thing i need to mention that Mahmoud Ghaznavi initially wasnt interested in Shahnama and Ferdowsi, but later on he liked his work. the famous work of Shiekh Saadi is Gulistan and Bostan.

This is side-tracking from the lesson though but allow me to help...

man fârsi harf mizanam ( من فارسي حرف مي زنم) - "I speak Persian"

Bale, Ye Kam ( بله، يه کم) - "Yes but a little only though"

Also, the English word "half" is "nasf" in Persian. It is used in Urdu at more scholarly levels.

For example, the Urdu translation of the Ahadis goes, "Safaii nasf emaan hai" (Cleaniness is half of faith)

mo'afagh bashed! ( موفق باشيد, good luck!)

This is more like it. Brother is it possible for you to use original script along with roman or Phonetics Symbols because I find it easier to grasp the pronunciation comparing side by side. :D

Prehaps bro Ahmad can be little more active with farsi script along with roman text....:D

Last edited:
i started learning Farsi from this thread but then the speed of this thread is too fast that i can't concentrate :angry:

If you can limit the number of lessons to 3-5 per week only - i am sure this thread will stay active for longer period and more peoples will be benefitted from it

i started learning Farsi from this thread but then the speed of this thread is too fast that i can't concentrate :angry:

If you can limit the number of lessons to 3-5 per week only - i am sure this thread will stay active for longer period and more peoples will be benefitted from it

Yes, that is a very good point. And also i think we can have emphasis on learning more easier and common vocabularies rather than the whole sentences and grammatical structures. For example: نان=bread , آب=water , پنج=five ---->(پنجاب=five waters) , خانه=home ,
زندگی=to live and also life. etc.

You are right, it is alot easier and quicker to use the original script as it is the same to Urdo sctript, but if anybody cant understand that script then the roman ones will also be used. I think our teacher brother Pasban can take into consideration. With regards to Rustam and Sohrab, it is in Shahnama book of Ferdowsi. One thing i need to mention that Mahmoud Ghaznavi initially wasnt interested in Shahnama and Ferdowsi, but later on he liked his work. the famous work of Shiekh Saadi is Gulistan and Bostan.
i read about these in the kite runner n got curious..i would want to read them..i ve read gulistans translation but want to read the origional..lets see how much this thread helps..but still i 'd like to have origional script along with the enghlish one...

i read about these in the kite runner n got curious..i would want to read them..i ve read gulistans translation but want to read the origional..lets see how much this thread helps..but still i 'd like to have origional script along with the enghlish one...

The shahnama, Gulistan and Bostan are masterpiece and strong books, i am not sure how much you will get out of this thread, but if the thread is kept interesting i am sure you get know at least something out of those books. Gulistan and Bostan is mostly focused on moral and religious guidance.

This is more like it. Brother is it possible for you to use original script along with roman or Phonetics Symbols because I find it easier to grasp the pronunciation comparing side by side.

I did mention my reasons clearly for not doing so but if it is seen to help then I shall continue with the addition of the Persian-Arabian right script next to it.

Do understand though, that you must use the phonetics for pronunciation and not the script as you will pronounce it with Urdu-based tones making it sound incorrect.

i started learning Farsi from this thread but then the speed of this thread is too fast that i can't concentrate

I was only attempting to get the matter down first so that the readers can go at their own pace with the lessons afterwards. I don't expect others to learn at the pace that I am posting, that would be foolish. I want to get down all the verbs and roots first. Then once we are done with that and come to grammar details we can adopt a more fitting pace.

@Pasban, kheli mutashakkiram baraaii iin thread. aarzuumandam keh ba khat e farsi/urdu ham taHriir kunid. Sad tashakkur.

Sorry my Farsi is a bit tentative since I belong to a generation that has slowly lost touch with both their mother tongues one after the other. However, don't laugh on the difference in transliteration, our Farsi is quite different from yours.

Khahesh mikonam! Az molaghate sham khosh vaghtam :)

By the way, how is your Farsi/Persian different? Where are you originally from? There are minor regional variations in Irani Farsi, Dari and Tajiki and even more within those specific regions. Despite this, they are all mutually intelligible. Take Arabic spoken in Bahrain and that spoken in Egypt, despite both being Arabic, the speakers might have some difficulty interacting but both know it is Arabic and seeing it written they know the subject immediately.

Khahesh mikonam! Az molaghate sham khosh vaghtam :)

By the way, how is your Farsi/Persian different? Where are you originally from? There are minor regional variations in Irani Farsi, Dari and Tajiki and even more within those specific regions. Despite this, they are all mutually intelligible. Take Arabic spoken in Bahrain and that spoken in Egypt, despite both being Arabic, the speakers might have some difficulty interacting but both know it is Arabic and seeing it written they know the subject immediately.

Well I should've said 'somewhat different' rather than 'quite different'. We used to speak what could be called subcontinental Farsi, which is closer to Dari in pronunciation, albeit with even smaller share of colloquialism. We don't aspirate our p and k and sometimes dipthongize our aa, somewhat similar to Farsi speakers in Pakistani Baluchistan. Our community is basically from the remnants of Mughal and other central asian settlers preceding them, but we got people from Isfahan, Yazd etc all over what is now your country. I can't say about those left in India but here in Pakistan, the dispersion of the migrants and the later incursions of English have meant that third generation migrants first forgot their Farsi and are now forgetting Urdu.

Hope you continue with this thread and hope that I get some time to have a peak!

Besyar khoob, bradaran-e-farsi Zuban !! Yak kawish-e behtareen!! Man Farsi kho namidanum, al-batha Zubane Darri ra Mefhumam, wa yak kamak gofthan-e sha hum may thanium. Ahmad bayed gup-ye mara bofoma, magar bradarane Irani gupae mara shayed na bofama, ba ee khathir man payshaki mazzirath maykhwahum.
Man umeed darim k is een moqa-e Zareen istifada konium.

Adios!!

wow, great, three years ago i met a Prof from Islamabad University in a restaurant in Beijing. he realized we are Persian speaker then start saying something from "Golestan" and "Bostan" . my kids made a good relation with his family members.

The usage of English phonetics is done purposely. If this is not done, the pronunciation cannot be accurately deduced otherwise. Pronunciation in Urdu and Farsi is different even for words with identical meaning and letter combination.

For example, take the English word "Revolution"

Writing in Persian-Arabic script: انقلاب
Farsi speaker pronunciation: eng-kee-labh or engelabh
Urdu speaker pronunciation: in-kee-laabh or enqelab

It is a common practice to have a G or Gh type sound (گ or غ) after a K-based (ک) sound in Farsi, where as in Urdu a a Ki-based (که) or Ka-based (کا) would follow depending on regional variations. Variations are there in Iran also. This is the topic of another post though altogether.

Dear Pasban I think if you can use both English and Persian alphabet is better.
Pakistani bros can learn faster if you can use Persian characters.even o me as a Persian speaker is hard to read in Finglish
we have almost 10000 common words.

Nice thread but tough.

BTW, Why not a Chinese thread also, haha?

your language(Bangali) and Persian has 8000 common words then you can learn it faster than chinese.when i talk in Persian my BD friends pivk them very easy.
you can not imagine how difficult is chinese.
i can speak in 6 languages but my chinese lesson was the........
go for Persian with Sheikh Saadi first

Back
Top Bottom