What's new

Learn to speak Farsi/ Persian on PDF!

Well the message against the people banning the Youtube video was there.

Iqbal chose farsi to proclaim to you all, Inquilaab-e-Inquilaab.

i cant get the pronounciation of origional alphabets..seems like english phonetics...so plz post with origional script as suggested...
i hope to learn from this thread..:cheers:

The usage of English phonetics is done purposely. If this is not done, the pronunciation cannot be accurately deduced otherwise. Pronunciation in Urdu and Farsi is different even for words with identical meaning and letter combination.

For example, take the English word "Revolution"

Writing in Persian-Arabic script: انقلاب
Farsi speaker pronunciation: eng-kee-labh or engelabh
Urdu speaker pronunciation: in-kee-laabh or enqelab

It is a common practice to have a G or Gh type sound (گ or غ) after a K-based (ک) sound in Farsi, where as in Urdu a a Ki-based (که) or Ka-based (کا) would follow depending on regional variations. Variations are there in Iran also. This is the topic of another post though altogether.

Nice thread but tough.

BTW, Why not a Chinese thread also, haha?

' One language one person two languages two person ', lol thats my Turkish teacher told me, and i said ' i know English aswel :D '

Pasban bhai!!
Teach us the literals. Consonants and vowels in Persian script.

Besyar khoob, bradaran-e-farsi Zuban !! Yak kawish-e behtareen!! Man Farsi kho namidanum, al-batha Zubane Darri ra Mefhumam, wa yak kamak gofthan-e sha hum may thanium. Ahmad bayed gup-ye mara bofoma, magar bradarane Irani gupae mara shayed na bofama, ba ee khathir man payshaki mazzirath maykhwahum.
Man umeed darim k is een moqa-e Zareen istifada konium.
Adios!!

You are very good bro, although I could see that Farsi is your second(or third) language, which is natural for everyone. By the way, Farsi and Dari is the same.

Well the message against the people banning the Youtube video was there.

Iqbal chose farsi to proclaim to you all, Inquilaab-e-Inquilaab.

Alama Iqbal's persian poetry is one of the best. I think he has had more persian poetry than Urdo. At school we used read is farsi poetry and i was under the impresion that he was from Afghanistan until i read his biography.

Can any one tell me the difference between Uzbaki and Farsi?

As I stated earlier, there are two types of action verbs in Farsi. This is where Farsi can become confusing for some but this is an important element of the language.

There are verbs where they do not conjugate them selves so you have to add another action verb (such as "kærdæn") to the verb. Then there are the verbs that can conjugate by themselves and do not need "kærdæn" to complete the verb, most of these verbs have "-dæn/-tæn" at the end of it.

Example:

Verbs that conjugate themselves:

pokhtæn = to bake/cook

khandæn = to read, to sing, to recite

neveshtæn = to write

khabidæn = to sleep

khordæn = to eat

Verbs that need "Kærdæn"

shena kærdæn = to swim

ashpæzi kærdæn = to cook

bazi kærdæn = to play

dorost kærdæn = to make/build

They are entirely 2 different languages. It's like comapring Urdo and Pashto.

But the refugees from Afghanistan (namely Uzbeks) in Quetta used to speak something similar. I can understand them but have difficulty understanding the Persian poetry written by Iqbal. :what:

Some additional information on sounds and pronunciation

A user had sent me a PM requesting this so I thought to include it in the thread. This does side-track the format I was hoping to follow but could help a lot of the users here.

Question: When I listen to Farsi, I don't hear very strong throat sounds.

Answer:

In modern Persian the Arabic sound known as "qaf" is largely assimilated with the sound "gh" which is a sound similar, but not identical to, the "r" in french.

It is a sound found almost exclusively in Arabic loan words, and to my understanding a few native words which borrowed the sound from Arabic.

In some speakers the sound is partially retained, but among Iranians this is applied only to some words, and in many speakers the merger has completely occured. So in reality, if you never learn how to say this sound it doesn't really matter, as most Persian speakers in Iran do not pronounce it anyways.

In other dialects, such as Dari (Persian spoken in Afghanistan) it is more likely to be pronounced as in Arabic (like a K deep in the throat) as their style of speech is much more archaic (i.e. the way Persian is written, and how people spoke it in the 19th century). The Persian language has changed greatly in the past 100 or so years in Iran in terms of pronunciation and grammar. In particular the construction of verbal suffixes, which have been greatly reduced.

Example: Mæn be khuneye dustæm mirævæm.

Translation: I am going to my friend's house.

Becomes generally in colloquial Persian:

Mæn miræm khuneye dustæm.

As can be seen the word "mirævæm" ("am going", or "I am going" if you drop the pronoun "mæn" or "I" as would usually occur) becomes "miræm", with a shortened verbal suffix. Also the word order has changed from Subject-Object-Verb, as is traditionally structured in most Indo-Iranian languages, to that of Subject-Verb-Object, as in English and Mandarin Chinese for example.

This reduction occurs in virtually all the compound verbs except in writing and extremely formal situations: the use of "mirævæm" in normal conversation would sound somewhat strange in Tehran for example.

A further note: A little side note, the origin of the word "Farsi" comes from "Parsi". When the Arabs brought Islam with them and added numerous words to the Persian language, many words lost the sound "P", as Arabic has no P sound, so the Arabs called the language "Farsi" instead of Parsi. (Other examples: Esfæhan from "Espæhan", Sefid (white) from "Sepid").

Thus it is technically incorrect to call the language "Farsi" in English, even though this usage is more and more common, and in some ways seen as a political statement.

It is essentially like calling German "Deutsch" when you are speaking English. The proper name for the language in English is Persian, as it is derived from the Indo-Aryan root of the ancient name for the language, "Parsi".

"Iran" is also a mispronunciation of what should be called "Eyran." When Farsi started using the Arabic script early on, to write "Eyran" Iranians needed put the letters "alef" (ا‎) and "ye" (ى) to create the "ey" sound. The problem is though that, in arabic, when "alef" and "ye" اي are put together, they make the "EE" sound, that is how "Eyran" became "Iran." ايران.

Back
Top Bottom