What's new

Learn about the "Meteor" air-to-air missile obtained by the Egyptian Air Force, which changes the balance of power in the region

It is not abot sacrifice.. The US does not trust Egypt with its most advanced technologies ..well at least before signing the CISMOA.. but then Another country must have handed the technology to China.. Either a Muslim country or Usrael..

One of the things they are propably concenred about to is that Egypt has a long and bad history of missile proliferation through promoting terror by being missiles with countries like North Korea and China. They are affiad of technology leak's since Egypt has a long history of dealing with North Korea and China. Same applies to Iraq too, that is why they were not sold the AIM-120 too.

Perfect. Thank you for replying, ma brother. That right there you can only IMAGINE what it costs the IAF to be given that function/option on the Rafales and I'm guessing on all 36 must have that capability because of grounding issues brought up. If they would only designate let's say 10 or them with that rather costly function and 8 of those were grounded just for the simplest issues, like bugs jamming pitot tubes or whatever (I'm just throwing an example out there that might not necessarily apply to Rafales, but there are certain instruments that pick up air speed to convey to the super computers which then impact the FBWS and so a lady bug stuck in the air duct of whatever type of pitot tube immediately grounds that aircraft.) There there are a multitude of other things that can ground an aircraft to they must've added the nuke package worth who knows how much to the Indian bid.

Yep, EAF got the X-Guard Towed Decoy package and if the Typhoons are part of the Italian mega deal, those will also be equipped with those. Not sure about the additional low band jammers but sounds like an additional cost for the IAF.

Targo HMDS is a completely Israeli made HMDS and NO WAY JOSE gringo mingo mandigo would you find ANY Israeli tech of that or any caliber in the EAF. Qatar ordered them with their 36 aircraft but we were in no hurry and eventually will chose another option of the several units out there. Another costly item.

No Rampage missile for the EAF, just the AASM HAMMERS in a large batch of the 250kg & 500kg triple wracks and of course the MICA IM and ER I believe. My guess is India bough a crapload more than the EAF although we've been known to stock up big time on missiles for training so those came in the first order, not this one. They even claimed $200M allocated just for weapons which is a TINY number LOL!

SPECTRA, SCALPS (and according to Defense Arab that because of the complication with the US components) that Egypt ended up getting over 100 units when the order was originally for only 50.

Plus the additional 6 aircraft in the IAF purchase where Egypt order 30. Add 6 @ approx $130/150 million per and your looking at close to an additional billion $. How many simulators? Training, maintenance packages and a slew of additional items that come with the first order with was also SUPER expensive for us that we ordered only 24 instead of the maximum of 36 that Dassault offers at each order. Huge part of that was cost but because of the super advanced aircraft, they wanted to see how quick and well it will be absorbed into the EAF as our first 2-engined aircraft and they needed to put aside a ton of money to build the state of the art airbase strictly designated for the Rafales with HUUUGE, dedicated maintenance depot and ground control units etc. A lot of people just don't realize these things and that the 2nd and beyond orders bring the cost per aircraft down considerably. Buddy-Buddy refueling both air forces are getting that function also.

Also, Egypt is France's #1 arms export between all the naval ships worth over $12Billion IIRC ( @The SC ) correct me if I'm wrong ALSO influences a better price on the Rafales. Egypt's negotiators are some of the best in the world with what they've been able to purchase and still have $billions put aside despite the GIGANTIC purchases they've made. MashaAllah.

I really hope people read these posts so they can understand better, even those who hate us or have a little envy (that's ok even though it's haraam in Islam) it happens and you move on.

The goal is to reach somewhere between 72 and 80 Rafales. Hey, @Constantin84 , do you remember our conversation about the numbers of Rafales I predicted a couple of years ago the EAF needed? I said 80 at the least in order to make a significant impact and I think you said those aircraft are $180mill a piece and no way EAF can afford that. Honestly, I also had my doubts so not throwing that in your face, but I think they surprised us even with just this 50 aircraft orders, don't you think?
No worries, I was wrong but I'm glad that I was.The Rafale deserves to be a best seller.

lol. I love it when someone clearly loses the argument and can't refute the points one by one that I stated.

I didn't even mention the nuclear capability that India might've gotten that was not allowed to Egypt for obvious reasons. We're part of the NPT and want nothing to do with nukes. @Lord Of Gondor can correct me if I'm wrong or is India going to install its own nuclear option on its Rafales?

Anyway, I don't even know what made me challenge an Egypt hater to the core like you. I must be getting old and mindless but more like bored when I quote you to correct you. To think there are two variants of the Meteor is laughable beyond belief. Now that is the true definition of talking out of your bambolla lmao!

Even more laughable is bringing up 1967 looolloolololoool. Part of this generation that doesn't truly follow what is happening in Egypt militarily or is blinded by hatred is not even worth a precious minute. Hey, whatever makes you feel better.

Now that's one of two versions, right? Cuz India got the real one but Egypt got a dilapidated version LMFAO! Oh ma goodness.

Hey, maybe our SCALPs are rated version 2 also? I mean, they do conform to ITAR regulations for cruise missiles after all looool. :D
Let hope that Egypt’s enemy’s real or fictional don’t found out….😂😂😂😂😂 otherwise Egypt will be dueling Saudi Arabia for the most window dressed army….

LOL! You are most likely 100% correct. There is a HUGE mandate on military purchases to have 0 Israeli parts in them. My bad, just from some of the Arabic written info out there mentioning that capability was part of the order but never mentioned the type. Incorrect assumption on my part as to the brand, but I believe it's either the BAE towed decoy system or most likely the ALE-50 which is the same ones on the Typhoon should those end up being part of the Italian mega deal. We've never seen it deployed in any EAF pics yet and it's only referred to be in possession of "one" in local sources which otherwise have been accurate on all the other information posted about the Egyptian Rafale.

No worries, I was wrong but I'm glad that I was.The Rafale deserves to be a best seller.

I didn't mean to put you on the spot, my friend. That's not a good trait unless your dealing with hostile comments which yours are far from that and quite the opposite. Honestly, I was wrong too as today, Defense Arab and other sources have confirmed that Egypt plans on purchasing at least 100 Rafales as time goes by. I thought they would stop at around 80 +/- since operational costs on those things is exorbitant @ around $18K per hour. Plus the Meteor when it comes is at $2.3 million per?! The EFT is less than $10K per operational hour and offers almost identical features and capabilities, The only problem is the involvement of too many production members that might create friction, whereas the Rafale is strictly French. Apparently another source that gathers as much available information on RCS levels of existing aircraft and post figures (which of course are not super accurate but give a general idea rate the Typhoon has having a much lower RCS than the Rafale.) This is also countered in some ways with Rafale's SPECTRA which can make that RCS spoofed and jammed and maybe even unrecognizable as the French have well demonstrated in Syria and Lybia. Might be a wash.

Rafale has the RBE2 AESA radar which the EFT is still in the process of introducing the Captor-E AESA in the possible negotiations which according to a recent chart maybe be tied in with some type of radar ban on the leading edge of the canards to give it's boresight a wider range. I personally think the Typhoon would be a better, overall choice for the EAF considering all those factors as well as compatibility with our brotherly nation Saudiya which is a huge deal for both countries. I see more benefit and if EAF negotiators (whom have proven to be pretty darn good) can get Italy to guarantee no outside influence from the US and they would be solely responsible for parts and components, then maybe the EAF should've chosen the EFT instead of that Rafale?

But they want the best available western aircraft that is the mostly uninfluenced by the US which rendered that decision.

One of the things they are propably concenred about to is that Egypt has a long and bad history of missile proliferation through promoting terror by being missiles with countries like North Korea and China. They are affiad of technology leak's since Egypt has a long history of dealing with North Korea and China. Same applies to Iraq too, that is why they were not sold the AIM-120 too.

That's also 100% correct, unfortunately as the Egyptian Military has wracked up the most rd party infractions from the US according to Hillary Clinton lol. This was during the Mubarak era but now the signing of the CISMOA should clear all that up, maybe even with fines for the infractions. But the US will succumb to Israeli pressure and maybe provide a partial upgrade to the F-16s, but no where near the Viper upgrade.

Be serious don't waste our time
I am serious, I have just mentioned and discussed a side of the arm trade with the Arab and Muslim counties with the West and the East..that is all…as painful as it is, all our countries are suffering from it…What is published and the reality there is a continental divide..

Why not? Of course they can. Why do you think they're doing everything they can to stop the French from selling them to the EAF?

Real question is why?

Because we have a peace treaty that was signed 40 something years ago and we abide by it. But if they ever dare to pull of any of their dirty tricks, contrary to what some of you here want to believe, they'll be in for a shock of a lifetime. So Israel doesn't matter to Egypt with the exception of being capable militarily to defend against it. At the current state, Egypt is well beyond that and as they increase the numbers of Rafales to 70 or 100 with the Russian fighters as well, not to mention all the other assets, this would be a totally different scenario than the past, even the success of 1973 would look like child's play compared to what would happen to them if they dared any stupidity.

Right now we're focusing on Ethiopia which the situation is about to heat up rapidly. We'll see what happens. Rapid Deployment Forces meant to protect Sinai from Israel won't be needed in South Sudan. They'll stay and monitor things in Egypt.

No
Real question is why?
Why please explain???, and if not than what is the purpose of purchasing Meteor by Egypt, its a weapon that can be used against any enemy of Egypt and same thinking was for our AMRAAM that's they have kill switches or our F-16 have so they can they can't fired AMRAAM etc etc than you know what happened on 27 FEB

If Meteor is not for enemies of Egypt than what's the purpose of buying Meteor by Egypt , JUST FOR SHOWOFF???

Why please explain???, and if not than what is the purpose of purchasing Meteor by Egypt, its a weapon that can be used against any enemy of Egypt and same thinking was for our AMRAAM that's they have kill switches or our F-16 have so they can they can't fired AMRAAM etc etc than you know what happened on 27 FEB

If Meteor is not for enemies of Egypt than what's the purpose of buying Meteor by Egypt , JUST FOR SHOWOFF???

That kind of reaction -- including the made up story about a Version #2 just for the EAF LMAO -- is very common coming from a certain group of members who just don't want to believe Egypt is capable of acquiring the best of the best weapons out there, despite the recent 10's of billions of dollars and Euros spent on the Air Force and Navy and other branches in one of the most rapid modernization in history. It's almost the result of shock effect. lol

Eygpt and isreal are close long term friend with startegic economic and cultural ties

this is not the valid reason, Egypt still consider Israel its main enemy, if they will have war in future Egypt definitely use Meteor on IAF jets lol
IAF will soon gets aim260 that will outgun and outrange meteor
While france like it did to argentina will share necessary codes/info on meteor to isreal
But this is moat point ..isreal and eygpt are close allies

Back
Top Bottom