What's new

LCA Tejas fires R-73 missile

Sam Dhanraj

Reaction score
India begins weaponisation of LCA, Tejas fires R-73 missile

News Posted in LCA thread while the vid can be seen here

[YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The PLAAF deployment of the R-73 missile and the Flanker series fighter provides a combination of missile capability and airframe manoeuvrability which would allow a competent pilot to get earlier firing opportunities, higher missile kill rates and better survivability against a Western fighter such as F-15 or F-16 fighter shooting a third generation missile such as AIM-9L/M Sidewinder. Additionally, the R-73 has an effective range of 300 metre to 30km (increased to 40km on later variants), and is capable of 12g manoeuvre, therefore allowing the maximum flexibility in using the missile for visual-range air combat.

R-73 (AA-11) Short-Range Air-to-Air Missile | Air Power | SinoDefence.com

Our Tejas here is quite a beauty!!

Thank god someone asked them to change the horrible yellow and white colours used in the previous PVs.

The horrible white and yellow is on most prototypes. Standard test colors...

Since missile test was conducted at INS HANSA a Indian naval base situated at goa. It highly seems to me since Indian navy come on board the Tejas, it has really accelarted the pace of the LCA Programme. Anyway awaiting to see some target aquisition and BVR test

I'm probably wrong but it seemed kinda fake. Poor quality of the film perhaps.

by the way r they going to use this for training purpose or war? coz if its for war than the shape clearly tells that its not effective and in easy words looks like a 1940s aircraft

Asim,

you can find the good quality video on ADA WebSite - Home ...the file is ~12MB in size and much better in quality as compared to the youtube version. The site is pretty slow though and it took some time to download the file.

Have the IAF, Accepting LCA with
with lower performance than set out in ASR?

The LCA is already flying with dummy missiles

Air Marshal Nak Brown will head the IAF’s team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bangalore: The three players most tied up with the Tejas, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme – the user (the Indian Air Force), the designer Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and the manufacturer Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) – will come together on Saturday for their monthly review meeting. But this month’s Bangalore meeting will be anything but routine.

On the flying front, the LCA’s PV-1 (prototype vehicle) is expected to undertake its first low speed taxi run after the integration of drop tanks. The low speed taxi run where the aircraft is pushed to almost its take-off speed but does not actually take off, is the prelude to the actual first flight with drop tanks.

The drop tanks are expendable and jettisonable external fuel tanks carried by the aircraft giving it longer endurance and range, enabling pilots to fly longer. An important milestone for the LCA programme, the first flight with drop tanks could happen next week. A successful run with drop tanks will enable ADA to move into the LCA’s weaponisation programme, where the R 73 air-to-air missile and bombs will be integrated onto the aircraft. The LCA is already flying with dummy missiles.

But it will be issues on the ground that will take centre stage. With questions over the LCA’s combat performance especially climb, acceleration and how fast it could turn at certain altitudes having cropped up during the recent sea trails at Arakonnam, a detailed assessment of what can be managed within the time frame will have to be undertaken. Sources said the IAF would have to be asked to lower certain aspects of their air staff requirements for the LCA, which at the moment were unrealistic.

According to the Defence Research and Development Organisation’s Chief Controller Research and Development (Aeronautics and Material Science) D. Banerjee, there is no doubt that the aircraft and engine have to improve, but any improvements will have to suit the time frame.

“The IAF will have to be asked how many aircraft they take with the current performance.”

Dr. Banerjee under whom ADA functions, told The Hindu that improvements can be made to the aero dynamism of the aircraft by ‘technical cleaning’ to remove drag, and also improving the LCA’s propulsion system.

by the way r they going to use this for training purpose or war? coz if its for war than the shape clearly tells that its not effective and in easy words looks like a 1940s aircraft

They didn't have delta winged fighters in the 1940s. They didn't have operational jet fighters till the Me-262 and it looked nothing like the LCA. I understand your irresistible desire to mock India and its products but I guess you'll have to do better than that. :P

I can bet there are more faults in this plane than whatever we have come to know. Stay tune as it moves forward towards being "operational".

I can bet there are more faults in this plane than whatever we have come to know. Stay tune as it moves forward towards being "operational".

operational - after how many years of testing and where does the LCA fit in the IAF operational plans?

Come on,the whole world knows that Indians are way behind the Chinese when it comes to technology...... specially Photoshops & video editing softwares ;)

Back
Top Bottom