What's new

LCA Tejas fires R-73 missile

What exactly do you mean by that? It is a mid range replacement ( or will be ) for the MIG-21 line.

Understanding that requirements for the IAF has changed, there is no room for such an inferior fighter. Either it IS a replacement for Mig-21 (unlikely) or MRCA is the replacement for the Mig-21 (likely). IAF would prefer anything but LCA thats for sure, and the recent statements by IAF Air Cheif Marshal clearly suggests that IAF is now insuring that it has minimum of the type of the aircrafts to clear the logistics and maintenance problems in her air force.

However, inducting for the sake of inducting is another thing, and no way clears up for the operational requirement for the induction of fighters in any air force.

Not sure why HAL / DRDO think its such an earth shattering milestone ? Makes one feel they don't have much else to show for their success. Still I am ready to wait for the finished product and see it at Farnborough before I make my opinion. Same for the JF 17.

Best regards

Not sure why HAL / DRDO think its such an earth shattering milestone ? Makes one feel they don't have much else to show for their success. Still I am ready to wait for the finished product and see it at Farnborough before I make my opinion. Same for the JF 17.

Best regards

I think it is a milestone for such a nation.

However, it remains beneficial only up to the aviation manufacturing industry.

You lost me on both statements ???

Regards

LCA is a big thing for India.

LCA manufacturing is beneficial only for the experience in creating aircrafts and not beneficial for using it to fight (operational capabilites) in the air force.

Understanding that requirements for the IAF has changed, there is no room for such an inferior fighter. Either it IS a replacement for Mig-21 (unlikely) or MRCA is the replacement for the Mig-21 (likely). IAF would prefer anything but LCA thats for sure, and the recent statements by IAF Air Cheif Marshal clearly suggests that IAF is now insuring that it has minimum of the type of the aircrafts to clear the logistics and maintenance problems in her air force.

However, inducting for the sake of inducting is another thing, and no way clears up for the operational requirement for the induction in any air force.

We don't know that yet.

ORBAT (or order of Battle) is a very rough statement of what your assets are, where they are, and how they are organized. For example, if I was to look at IAF ORBAT for say Kargil, I would simply get a listing of what squadrons, and what inventory was used. In no way will I have a clue by looking at ORBAT as to what the planning was in carrying out the operation in a tactical sense. I have explained this to several non-military types several times - and for good reason; the term can be misleading.

As to whether the plane itself is good or bad, I'll let the IAF figure that out. It is only now getting weaponised, so no one knows much about it ( except for what is published). The proof will be in combat!

The Gnat was an itty-bitty plane too, but did punch beyond it's capabilities. But that's another discussion all together..

Of course ORBAT is not the only thing to realize thats why the other reasons given and "etc..".

But your absolutely correct.

LCA manufacturing is beneficial only for the experience in creating aircrafts and not beneficial for using it to fight (operational capabilites) in the air force.

Ok but I will wait to see both the LCA and JF 17 at FarnB to make my own un-educated opinion.

If you come that time maybe we can have a beer ?

:cheers:

Regards

Ok but I will wait to see both the LCA and JF 17 at FarnB to make my own un-educated opinion.

If you come that time maybe we can have a beer ?

:cheers:

Regards

A group of us will be going to farnborough so maybe we will......But i doubt the LCA and JF-17 will be there..

However, inducting for the sake of inducting is another thing, and no way clears up for the operational requirement for the induction of fighters in any air force.

Jaguar, Mig 21, Mig 23, Mig 27, Mirgage2k - are all set for retirement in the next decade. 126 or even 200 MRCA order book wont suffice to fill in that gap.

As of now IAF is confirmed to have 230MKI as new planes, nothing else. Coupled with that IAF officials have been commenting that they need to reduce the complex number of aircraft types in the inventory. So very well it could be 230MKI + 126/200 MRCA + 200 LCA + 5G Plane.

Indeed its big thing, India needs to contnue with this. We missed out an oppurtunity to continue with the MArut experience, shudnt missout this time though.

Jaguar, Mig 21, Mig 23, Mig 27, Mirgage2k - are all set for retirement in the next decade. 126 or even 200 MRCA order book wont suffice to fill in that gap.

As of now IAF is confirmed to have 230MKI as new planes, nothing else. Coupled with that IAF officials have been commenting that they need to reduce the complex number of aircraft types in the inventory. So very well it could be 230MKI + 126/200 MRCA + 200 LCA + 5G Plane.

Mirage 2K and Jaguar are going to serve into the 2020s. They are being given some serious upgrades to match modern combat aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom