What's new

LCA LSP-3 with ELTA radar to fly today

prateek its not TEJAS the latter pic is of JAGUAR

And then what abt these two photos

LSP-3.JPG

These two are surely Tejas , these pics got published today
how do you explain the difference in air intake doors then.

LSP-3.JPG

buddy air intake in both the above posted pics is the same,edit the the last pic which is a bit darker and increase its brightness you will get ur doubt cleared

LSP-3.JPG

Prateek,

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the intakes are closed (as may be the case under certain flight regimes). Check the pic below where it is coming in to land:

The picture of LCA in air (first pic) is too blurred to come up with any conclusions about the intake (presence or absence).

buddy air intake in both the above posted pics is the same,edit the the last pic which is a bit darker and increase its brightness you will get ur doubt cleared

Its not the problem with last pic - It shows those intakes .
Problem is with First pic - its not clear enough to show those doors.

this one

@ DMLA - I think you are dead right ,
it must be that intake is closed perfectly well during that shot , and picture that was taken is a bit blurred.
Intakes open when there is need for more thrust , something like during takeoff. And remain closed at other casual speeds.

yup man i am happy but not satisfied

it would be nice if lca flies with powerfull kaveri engine and indian made MMR or better radar
till then i will be unsatisfied

hope we are able to make better plane from now on (LCA-mk2,LCA-mk3,MCA)

yes it is a shock to all of us...I wouldn't go there if I were you...:disagree::oops:

Whats the problem with u people??? it has been a policy of ur country to poke its nose in others business regularly,which is essentially none of ur business.Whether it is Somalia,korea,vietnam,kosovo and the latest ,Iraq:pop:...Well im not saying all the moves r unjustified.I m merely pointing out that considering the present situation of what is going on in Afghanistan and Iraq u r not in a position to go anywhere else,kapish??

Coming back to the topic,the jet is designed to meet some specific needs so far as the subcontinent is concerned,which is to defend the national integrity from immediate threats.It is not something done for the sake of World dominance.So let us just not start comparing anything with everything.:disagree:

^^^I have a feeling DBC was not comparing tejas to usaf equipment. rather its (past) protracted development time, which I admit is gathering significant pace now.

^^^I have a feeling DBC was not comparing tejas to usaf equipment. rather its (past) protracted development time, which I admit is gathering significant pace now.

Thank you, I was attempting to remind the poster that while arguing in favor of the LCA 'time' is the last thing one should mention.

I may catch some flack for saying this but I'm not even sure the LCA is relevant anymore?;) Are the design considerations of the 80's still valid? Is it wise to build a carrier version of a delta wing? After 27 years have the program objectives been met? You could argue spin offs but aren't the subsystems built for the LCA nearing obsolescence?

It amazes me that Indian's expect a government run organization to produce a world best fighter, had the LCA contract been awarded to a private firm you would have likely had a really good plane deployed in the late 90's.

I may catch some flack for saying this but I'm not even sure the LCA is relevant anymore?;) Are the design considerations of the 80's still valid? Is it wise to build a carrier version of a delta wing? After 27 years have the program objectives been met? You could argue spin offs but aren't the subsystems built for the LCA nearing obsolescence?

Context.

It may be, but the thing is, you can keep criticizing an indigenous effort - fairly - but some some key facts remain.

We gained valuable lessons doing it. Lessons which will help us in the future.

In any case, I think it is no one's opinion that LCA is going to be our strike aircraft, not in this shape. But it will be a valuable backbone, given our needs.

In short, we are behind the latest tech, but we have just crossed a major hurdle and give it time...who knows in thirty years, people may be coming to India for the best fighters.

BTW, you think someone was just going to give us this 'obsolescent' technology? Uh uh. In this world, you keep what you learn.

Everybody starts somewhere. Ford did not start designing 2010 version Cadillacs.

So we had to start somewhere. And whatever way you want to look at this, it was and is a significant achievement.

It amazes me that Indian's expect a government run organization to produce a world best fighter, had the LCA contract been awarded to a private firm you would have likely had a really good plane deployed in the late 90's.

Yeah, but everything happens within a context. In India's case back then, there was no private sector to speak off.

Again, give it time.

I too wish the private sector gets involved. And if wishes were horses, beggars will ride!:partay:

^^^This is win :D btw the Tejas looks great.

I may catch some flack for saying this but I'm not even sure the LCA is relevant anymore?;) Are the design considerations of the 80's still valid?

We still need a cost effective modern fighter , to replace those mig-21's .

So i guess, yes . Better to have your own 4th gen or 4.5 gen plane , then a foreign made 2nd gen plane.

Is it wise to build a carrier version of a delta wing?

France has done it with the Rafale.

The Sea Griphen and sea typhoon are also in concept phase

After 27 years have the program objectives been met?

well that's kind of a tricky question.

When the LCA program was stared in 1983 ,
1983-DRDO obtained permission to initiate a programme to design and develop a Light Combat Aircraft

1984-Government of India set up Aeronautical Development Agency ADA in 1984 as the nodal agency for managing and developing the LCA.

1985-IAF submits Air Staff Requirements (ASR) for LCA in October This was initiated by the then Air Chief Marshal Idris Hassan Latif.

1986-Government allocates 575 crores for the LCA programme.
Programme to develop an indigenous powerplant (engine) was launched at GTRE.

1987-Project definition commenced in October 1987 with French Dassault Aviation as consultants.

1988-Project definition completed in September 1988.

1989-Government review committee expresses confidence in LCA programme. It was decided that the programme will be carried out in two phases.

The 80's were spent in most administration and pre work for building the plane it self. Most of the infrastructure and facilities and agency's responsible for the plane were being set up.

Actual work only begain in 1988 when the PD was completed.

1990-Design of LCA was finalised as a small delta winged reverse static stability aircraft.
Phase 1 of the development was commenced to create the proof of concept system. Financial problems within India prevented full scale operations from starting.

1993-Full funding started from April 1993 full-scale development work for phase 1 started in June.
1995-First technology demonstrator, TD-1, rolled out on 17 November 1995 and was followed by TD-2 in 1998. However, technical problems in flight control systems and structural deficiencies plagued the prototypes and they remained grounded.
1997-Multi-Mode Radar (MMR) for LCA design work started at HAL’s Hyderabad division and the LRDE.

Now considering that, the original goal o the project was to build a Light combat aircraft. well , we built it mostly.

It does everything an LCA is supposed to do.

And its brought up India defence sector from developing no fighter aircraft to develop , a multirole 4th/4.5 generation aircraft.

That expertise and technology stays in the country for further use .

As of now , we get a 4th gen Multi role platform for 25 million a piece.

by 2015 , we shoud get a 4.5 gen Multi role platform for a little over 25 million.

And carrier 4.5 gen aircraft for a little over 30 million.

and this may be late, but many nations still buy their aircraft from others. Now our armed forces justly has an in house option.

Right now the IAF is short on planes, Its force levels have decilned , Had India had the Tejas , that would have never happened.

It's not capable enough to replace our entire air-force , But it can replace a lot of older planes , and it will guarantee India , that its force levels can be maintained with number's of capable aircraft.

You could argue spin offs

They are just an added bonus not the main dish.

but aren't the subsystems built for the LCA nearing obsolescence?

What kind of sub-systems are we talking about ?

one of the main reasons for the delay was the problem of creeping requirements.

And since the Tejas is an in house production , it will have in house upgrades for those sub-systems. So the problem of obsolescence in sub-systems is really dependent on how much the current requirements ask for and how much support the aircraft will get after induction

I will agree the airframe , s somewhat obsolete, lacking today's RCS reduction features .
but as 4.5 gen plane , with enough upgrades , it can give a good 30 years.

But one thing people do tend to forget is , all the developmental work for the Tejas was done in the 90's . The aircraft's design it self was finalised only in 1991. despite the program it self being initiated in 80's.

Many nations even today still induct planes of 20th century design with with 21st century upgrades. Why does the Tejas have to be any different.

Don't want to draw technological comparison's but the F-16 and F-15 are still going strong after many years , due to continual upgrades.

in the 80's and 90's there was no private sector to speak of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom