What's new

Latest Chinese missile technology to target US carriers

This is supposed to be a sure shot kill technology. If they can fire a ballistic missile with pinpoint accuracy(which is a big IF), then that's what they'd get.

Can a ballistic missile be modified to be guided like a cruise missile at it's final stage?

Plus I think most of the media as become kind of an alarmist whenever a "new Chinese weapon" news comes by. Remember when they were targeting US Spy sats with the lasers?

Asim seriously look at the source before reaching the conclusions.....This is probably bad journalism rather than a new theatre changing system.

What about the IR pinpointing?
The heat generated by re-entry will blind any IR eye.

I thought that was the focus of the article. Pretty much any missile can be used (given that it has the necessary datalink) capability.

People are just ignoring the simple physics of the idea. You're talking about a missile traveling at Mach 5+. Just how much steering can you expect?

Hmmm the technique you are mentioning would only work if blip enhancement ECMs are used. But they've not mentioned using radars for detection... How do you suppose they'd "pinpoint"? My initial reaction was, Satellite.

Not even the Americans have mastered the use of real time satellite targeting and the Chinese with less than 10% of the American birds is going to skip over them? Look, in their 1st anti-sat test, they had to steer their old weather bird into the sat killer. Now, do you seriously suggest that an American carrier is going to steer their way onto a Chinese missile?

This is probably typical South Asian defence reporter idiocy..... He/she has probably gotten two different systems confused. More than likely the report that was quoted was probably referring to anti-ship missiles etc etc and then as a sidebar mentions other missile programs.

I am guessing a bad translation program is at fault here:lol:
Actually, the idea has been touted by USN RAdm (Ret'd) Eric McVadon who has written alot about the China threat.

Let's just say that his subordinates have no clue where he gets his idea.

Actually, the idea has been touted by USN RAdm (Ret'd) Eric McVadon who has written alot about the China threat.

Let's just say that his subordinates have no clue where he gets his idea.

Hmmm then I would suggest that some scaremongering for more funding as the primary issue here then.

Either that or a bit of "Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson" syndrome......:lol:

Goes to show that you have to be careful with all sources. In the case of the RAdm, me a simple 3 bar, a bellycrawler 3 bar from Canuckia was not going to challenge his assertions. However, having met Cmdr Bill Murray who let it be known that the RAdm is ... I'll leave it unsaid, you had to re-evaluate just where the RAdm gets his info.

Keysersoze, out of curiosity, your advator, Belize?

Goes to show that you have to be careful with all sources. In the case of the RAdm, me a simple 3 bar, a bellycrawler 3 bar from Canuckia was not going to challenge his assertions. However, having met Cmdr Bill Murray who let it be known that the RAdm is ... I'll leave it unsaid, you had to re-evaluate just where the RAdm gets his info.

Keysersoze, out of curiosity, your advator, Belize?

Yep Jungle warfare school

Not this again. No, it is NOT possible for ballastic missiles to hit a moving target.

Correct.

But they can hit if the missile had stages, should explain what they meant. The first stage is the rocket the second is a probable cruise missile stage then it is possibe to have pin point accuracy. That is what I can deduce from the source it is a batch stage missile capable of carrying a cruise missile it is normal in a sense. The only other operator with similar capability comes to mind is the US which has advance ICBM's with cruise missile capability. I will add more detial later.

NO! It is NOT possible to hit a moving target with a BM. Think this through. Even with SRBMs, ie SCUDs, what is the time of detection to the to the time of launch to the time of impact. Where is the moving target in all that time?

This is all bull crap. Otherwise, we would have been laying waste to tank columns since WWII and yet to this day, we still rely on LOS systems to stop tank columns.

And a carrier is a hell of alot faster than any tank.

NO! It is NOT possible to hit a moving target with a BM. Think this through. Even with SRBMs, ie SCUDs, what is the time of detection to the to the time of launch to the time of impact. Where is the moving target in all that time?

This is all bull crap. Otherwise, we would have been laying waste to tank columns since WWII and yet to this day, we still rely on LOS systems to stop tank columns.

And a carrier is a hell of alot faster than any tank.

I agreed with that part that BM's cant hit moving targets but I was trying to explain that they are in stages one part is rocket and the other is the cruise missile and then it is possible for the system to hit moving targets.

Similar to the ICCM, or in this case the Intermediate-Cruise-Missile.

---------------------------

Both projects were based on:

1 stage – rocket boosters
2 stages – supersonic air engines on a jet-type missile.

Burya was supposed to deliver up to a 2.5-ton warhead as far as 8,500 kilometers with an altitude up to 20 kilometers. Buran was to deliver 3.5 tons the same distance and altitude.

The Buran project was killed in 1957 before any test missile was ever constructed – because it was thought to be "...too expensive and similar to Burya."

http://www.videocosmos.com/burya.shtm

--------------------------------

It is possible.

Officer of Engineers, Do you know about the above, there other systems similar to it however, the Russians have the bulk of these balistice cruise missile types.

The only problem I can found this system is that it wont be stealthy, the problem with super sonic cruise missiles they have high radar signature and have high audiable signatures. There is also the maximum payload that the blastic-rocket can cope with. Therefore, the max payload would be around 100 or 150 for the cruise missile.

I agreed with that part that BM's cant hit moving targets but I was trying to explain that they are in stages one part is rocket and the other is the cruise missile and then it is possible for the system to hit moving targets.

I'm sorry ... unless you can show me where the Chinese have achieved when the rest of the world's leading military powers have failed, this is all just ... idiotic speculation. We have NOT achieved a 50% BM, 50% cruise missile anywhere anytime and to suggest the Chinese have achieved this ... is just pure fantasy.

I can see the failure point - re-entry.

Back
Top Bottom