What's new

Larger AWACS project, AWACS India, taking shape

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
indiaawacradome.jpg

CABS has been entrusted with Design and Development of Airborne Surveillance Systems. The envisaged system will have uniform surveillance performance over full 360 degree coverage. The front end of the Radar and the Identification Friend or foe (IFF) systems shall be housed in an ellipsoidal radome on top of the fuselage installed using pylons. In addition suitable mechanical structures to transfer the air loads will be designed and housed in the radome. The radome also houses parts of the liquid cooling system(piping structure) and ladder system for maintenance.

Diameter of the radome (of the order of) 10.0 m
Height of the radome(of the order of) 2.0 m
Radome shape Ellipsoidal
Weight of the radome Shells (about) 1500Kg
Electromagnetically transparent in S and L band
Withstand aerodynamic loads on the radome as per flight envelope of wide body aircraft.
The radome shall have lighting detectors/dischargers and should have surface which will not permit ice accumulations.

The radome shall have 4 shells (3 in case of design change) and shall be easy to install /de-install as seen in figure 2.

The envisaged will have 4 faces arranged in a rectangular /square configuration (see Fig 3). The shells shall have suitable attachments to the antenna panels/supporting structures.

DRDO

This is about the radome. Do you have any info regarding the radar itself? Is it AESA or PESA? When can we expect the radar to enter service?

More specifics please.

AESA radar deployed in a static radar dome that utilises 4 antenna panels to scan a 360" area (similar as on the PHALCON system) rather than the mechanically operated systems.

No specifics just yet buddy, we will have to wait a few years for these details.

Whatever happened to the EMB 145 based AWACS?

I think DRDO should finish them first, alongside the procurement of the CONJAM-SIGINT planes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever happened to the EMB 145 based AWACS?

I think DRDO should finish them first, alongside the procurement of the CONJAM-SIGINT planes.

The larger, AWACS (India), project is a spin-off of the ELB-145 CABS AWACS project. The EMB-145 AWACS only has a limited coverage range (270" IIRC) and limited range. The AWACS (INDIA) project will have a full 360" coverage with significant detection range and will based on a much larger a/c- 787/A320.

Natural progression mate.

And the procurement for COMJAM-SIGNIT a/c for the IAF is still going ahead- they have no impact on this AWACS project.

Last edited by a moderator:
The larger, AWACS (India), project is a spin-off of the ELB-145 CABS AWACS project. The EMB-145 AWACS only has a limited coverage range (270" IIRC) and limited range. The AWACS (INDIA) project will have a full 360" coverage with significant detection range and will based on a much larger a/c- 787/A320.

Natural progression mate.

And the procurement for COMJAM-SIGNIT a/c for the IAF is still going ahead- they have no impact on this AWACS project.

Wasn't the base plane IL-76 for the AWACS-India?

Wasn't the base plane IL-76 for the AWACS-India?

No bro. The IAI PHALCON AWACS of the IAF are based on the A-50 platform (IL-76 derivative). However the IAF has serious issues with the IL-76/A-50 because of low availability rates and poor service. As such the IAF has insisted on a Western wide-body civilian airliner to be the platform for the Indian large AWACS- most likely coming from Airbus. If the IAF had the luxery of time and indicate funds they'd have based their follow on 2 PHALCON AWACS they will be ordering soon on a Western airliner but to save time and keep commanility these 2 will also be coming on the A-50 platform.

Good news
any one knows What platform will be used for the news bigger AWACS & any possible date for Induction

Whats new ??? They are saying this for years. And if I am not wrong these designed pics are two years old.

Every time the Congress Party goes to elections, it parades some computer drawings as 'achievements' to fool the voters. The Italian lady takes all credit for these 'achievements' that exist only on paper and hope her son may someday be elected PM.

The fact remains, very few of these projects ever see the light of day, and if they do, they are delayed for decades. I find it amusing that Indians are so easily misled. They get all excited about Project 15B, but they forget that Project 15A has yet to produce a fighting ship after 10 years at the yards. Indians take pride in the AMCA project, but they forget Hal Tejas has yet to achieve IOC after more than 30 years of development.

No wonder your politicians are of such poor quality!

Every time the Congress Party goes to elections, it parades some computer drawings as 'achievements' to fool the voters. The Italian lady takes all credit for these 'achievements' that exist only on paper and hope her son may someday be elected PM.

The fact remains, very few of these projects ever see the light of day, and if they do, they are delayed for decades. I find it amusing that Indians are so easily misled. They get all excited about Project 15B, but they forget that Project 15A has yet to produce a fighting ship after 10 years at the yards. Indians take pride in the AMCA project, but they forget Hal Tejas has yet to achieve IOC after more than 30 years.

No wonder your politicians are of such poor quality!

Thanks for enlightening me on my country and politicians :tup:
The said question was for a respected member who posted it. And I was hoping the actual answer so try avoiding me.

Whats new ??? They are saying this for years. And if I am not wrong these designed pics are two years old.

Bro it's this tender that is the new part:
DRDO

Upload date- 10/6/2013

Closing date- 10/8/2013

Submissions have, as such, now been made.

Bro it's this tender that is the new part:
DRDO

Upload date- 10/6/2013

Closing date- 10/8/2013

Submissions have, as such, now been made.

There is no need to get too excited over a tender for a mere radome. However, if these renders provide some insights into the design of the indigenous AWACS antenna, then absolutely great.

So far, I have heard nothing about the design of the antenna. Is it to be AESA or PESA? S-Band or L-Band? What are to be the detection ranges for various radar cross section targets?

The renders of radome reveal very little.

Does anyone have more specific information on the radar designs? What is the timeline on this project?

There is no need to get too excited over a tender for a mere radome. However, if these renders provide some insights into the design of the indigenous AWACS antenna, then absolutely great.

So far, I have heard nothing about the design of the antenna. Is it to be AESA or PESA? S-Band or L-Band? What are to be the detection ranges for various radar cross section targets?

The renders of radome reveal very little.

Does anyone have more specific information on the radar designs? What is the timeline on this project?
I'VE TOLD YOU- AESA.

All those other specs are classified and unknown.

I'VE TOLD YOU- AESA.

All those other specs are classified and unknown.

But I need a link, an article, a source, a tender document, anything beyond what you are merely claiming. Surely there must be some documentations and media coverage on the project.

Back
Top Bottom