What's new

Lahore Rapid Mass Transit Rail Project

lets hope its completed on time,:pakistan::victory: and is there any transit mega project in islamabad?????????

Sorry, nothing for Islamabad. Islamabad is a city of the rich, by the rich, for the rich.

Only the elite class can be accommodated. Public transport in Islamabad is a long shot, just like finding human beings on other planets. Islamabad is as automobile dependent as Los Angeles is. No public transport for the poor, working and middle class for they are considered not to be the real residents of Islamabad.

The comparatively higher fares of the MRT might address the concerns of existing public transporters such as our Rescue Ranger sahab's family.

The lower fares on road based public transport would continue to offer choices to commuters, and with a significant section of the public hopefully choosing to travel by the MRT, it would relieve the strain on the roads.

But still, high fares would be seriously discouraging. Moreover, in order to utilize it effectively and reduce the automobile sprawl, the middle class would have to be attracted to it. Social factors of dislike of public transport (because of its existing conditions) will have to be overcome as well.

Let's see what time tells.

Rs. 140 was proposed back then. Wonder what effect inflation will have on the fares. Obviously not desirable.

They will definitely start a monthly/frequent ride card which will obviously be cheap. Rs. 140 is supposed to be the one way maximum charge but a normal ride might cost around Rs. 60 or 70.

Back and forth on one day = Rs 60 x 2 = Rs 120
No. of Trips per month = 25
Total cost = Rs. 3,000

Obviously nobody will be spending this much money. First time riders would jump for the ride but hardly a large population would use it at these rates. A Rs. 1,000 per month card is way too expensive as well.

The problem is LRMT is not a cheap project. Construction and running cost are extremely high. A non existent tax base cannot allow the government to subsidize public transport systems (nor has the state shown any intention of being interested in public transport, ever !). A widened tax base will obviously allow the government not only to subsidize a public transport system, but introduce mass transit systems across major towns. Hail the non tax paying population.

You are right........ the whole project is too costly

But also we have to keep in mind the only the poor peoples of Pakistan are going to be benefitted from it most. I mean usually the rich peoples has their own Vehicles and they are rarely going to use this train service. So the government will have to come up with cheaper fares for the success of these projects.

I know it will take some time to reclaim your investment but what else can we do?

I guess even 30-40 rupees is way too expensive for the poor peoples of Pakistan. They will have to set fares similar to the buses that the poor people use in daily lives and also like in UK they will have daily passes, weekly and monthly passes for those who have to travel more in these routes.

I would say they should set a fare of maximum 300-500 rupees/month nothing above that is acceptable.

25 rupees / single journey
40 rupees for double journey
75 rupees / day
200 rupees / week
300 - 500 rupees / month

is fair price for the public and if say 700,000 peoples are really benefitting from this project the amount will be in billions of rupees in total

Also there will be zones system and if the peoples are travelling for like from first stop to the last stop everyday....... their prices might be little more expensive then comparing to the person using half of train journey

Like in UK we have Zones 1 - 9 (common peoples use 1-6 and Zone 7,8 and 9 are too only couple of stops) so the person using Zone 1-4 has a different price, Zone 1-6 has different price and the person using the Zone 7 or 8 or 9 is little more expensive for some reasons

Last edited:
Sorry, nothing for Islamabad. Islamabad is a city of the rich, by the rich, for the rich.

Only the elite class can be accommodated. Public transport in Islamabad is a long shot, just like finding human beings on other planets. Islamabad is as automobile dependent as Los Angeles is. No public transport for the poor, working and middle class for they are considered not to be the real residents of Islamabad.

there is a saying. Islamabad is 15 Km outside pakistan.
btw we do have public transport in islamabad and its not bad at all when compared to other cities. i have travelled on those yellow toyotas many time. only problem is with the conductors who try to stuff in as many people as possible.

but mas transit for Islamabad is not required. i would rather want rawalpindi to have some gud transport system. they suffer a lot.

btw we do have public transport in islamabad and its not bad at all when compared to other cities. i have travelled on those yellow toyotas many time. only problem is with the conductors who try to stuff in as many people as possible.

but mas transit for Islamabad is not required. i would rather want rawalpindi to have some gud transport system. they suffer a lot.

True only the busy cities requires Mass transit........ Islamabad is not highly populated and on top of that they are ruled by the rich peoples only who does not travel on Trains, only the workers working in offices requires some kind of transport and the taxis are more than enough to do this job. I can't remember i ever found a bus in Islamabad :blink:

If i recall my memory i was never stuck in traffic neither found any buss or TANGA, Chingchi or the Rickshaw. Only the Yellow cabs are doing its job perfectly

I would love to see KCR (Karachi Circular Railway) project to be completed soon, Lahore Mass Transit can take care of Lahore and then we should consider similar projects in highly populated areas such as Faisalabad, Rawalpindi and Multan.

Can we sustain this kind of project?

Keep in mind that this kind of project is a parasite considering our economy.
First of all we need an effective bus transit system. In Toronto, Canada there is no Daewoo, New Khan, Tangas, Rickshaws etc.
There is only one bus transit system.
So, we should start slowly...
Improve our bus transit system similar to developed nations and than think about LRT.

Moreover, electricity is the basic need. Instead of thinking about Mass Transit, the money should be allocated to increase the capacity of electric generation.
When electricity will be surplus or will at lease fulfill our demands, our economy will revive.
So, when our economy can afford mass transit than it will be a sustainable project.
For now, we should concentrate to improve electric and business infrastructure along with education.

Last edited:
Can we sustain this kind of project?

Keep in mind that this kind of project is a parasite considering our economy.
First of all we need an effective bus transit system. In Toronto, Canada there is no Daewoo, New Khan, Tangas, Rickshaws etc.
There is only one bus transit system.
So, we should start slowly...
Improve our bus transit system similar to developed nations and than think about LRT.

Moreover, electricity is the basic need. Instead of thinking about Mass Transit, the money should be allocated to increase the capacity of electric generation.
When electricity will be surplus or will at lease fulfill our demands, our economy will revive.
So, when our economy can afford mass transit than it will be a sustainable project.
For now, we should concentrate to improve electric and business infrastructure along with education.
there are subways . busses and trams in toronto to :pdf:

True only the busy cities requires Mass transit........ Islamabad is not highly populated and on top of that they are ruled by the rich peoples only who does not travel on Trains, only the workers working in offices requires some kind of transport and the taxis are more than enough to do this job. I can't remember i ever found a bus in Islamabad :blink:

If i recall my memory i was never stuck in traffic neither found any buss or TANGA, Chingchi or the Rickshaw. Only the Yellow cabs are doing its job perfectly

I would love to see KCR (Karachi Circular Railway) project to be completed soon, Lahore Mass Transit can take care of Lahore and then we should consider similar projects in highly populated areas such as Faisalabad, Rawalpindi and Multan.

I was merely referring to not even having a decent public transport system. We can atleast have a decent Rawalpindi - Islamabad bus service. I do remember the ill fated train service that run between the twin cities for about an year.

Tell me about Rawalpindi's horrible public transport system. I traveled on those vans and dulhan gari (the truck like dressed Suzuki bolans) for more than 3 years. Worst experience ever !

Our system of governance reflects the mentality of our social sector i.e. very centralized absolute powers. Unless and until we distribute powers to the local level, we cannot expect any metropolis in Pakistan to have an efficient public transport systems.

As the state has never considered its duty to supply the people with an efficient public transport system (or an inefficient one as well), we have been left at the mercy of small vans running throughout cities owned by individuals. Municipalities should be managing a singularly owned transport system and that can be accomplished only if we distribute power and financial autonomy to the lowest levels of authority.

Thankyou for kicking me 15 km outside pakistan, in my previous post i for got to mention the polution factor that taking away the natural beauty of islamabad, any such project not at mega scale will reduce road traffic and that will reduce polution. i mean its the capital of pakistan it should look good.:pakistan:

says who, i dont have enough money right now to eat some thing, well i agree on that it was made for rich but lower middle class is in majority these people work day and night to earn a living in this expensive city. and islamabad should be made more attractive for people who lives in villages out side islamabad.:smitten::cheers:

says who, i dont have enough money right now to eat some thing, well i agree on that it was made for rich but lower middle class is in majority these people work day and night to earn a living in this expensive city. and islamabad should be made more attractive for people who lives in villages out side islamabad.:smitten::cheers:

I never meant to say that there aren't any middle class/working class people in Islamabad or they should be kicked out. I tried to say sarcastically that the city is ruled over and run over by the elite who albeit represent a small portion of the population of the city, create the city's persona and direct much of its social atmosphere. Islamabad remains focused towards the elite only, there's no doubt about that.

Too expensive to import the technology and maintain the service. Delhi's Metro is considered low-tech "Light Rail Transit" (LRT), not high-tech "Mass Rail Transit" (MRT). This is one of the major reasons for importing China's advanced MRT Metro system to Bombay (the first in India). This would provide 'bragging rights' and improve the 'image' of Mumbai, and hence India as a whole. :angel:

delhi's metro was developed in assitance with japan:yahoo:
meanwhile mumbai's metro is not lucky enough to recive japan's assitance

the govt this time go for a low cost system and here comes china:hitwall:

the entire world know who's tech is better japan:tup: or china:tdown:

i am feeling really sad for the the people of mumbai,after all they r also taxpayers:hitwall:

delhi's metro was developed in assitance with japan:yahoo:
meanwhile mumbai's metro is not lucky enough to recive japan's assitance

the govt this time go for a low cost system and here comes china:hitwall:

the entire world know who's tech is better japan:tup: or china:tdown:

i am feeling really sad for the the people of mumbai,after all they r also taxpayers:hitwall:

chinese imported tech from japan :P

Back
Top Bottom