What's new

King Fahd University ranked best university in Arab world

Kuwaiti Girl

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
King Fahd University ranked best university in Arab world

http://stepfeed.com/more-categories...nked-best-university-arab-world/#.V2KqYih96Uk

20160615-capture-500x114.jpg

20160615-capture-1-500x470.jpg

20160615-431634_295273817206466_1667661613_n-880x490.jpg

KFUPM is no doubt the best University in the middle-east. :)
But middle east or the Arab itself is not the best standard to compare with. I do not intend to demean it but to emphasize the importance of high quality education and competition with the world.

Saudi Arabia Schools Lead The 2016 U.S. News Arab Region Universities Rankings

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-s-news-arab-region-universities-rankings.htm

three-of-the-saudi-arabia-universities-top-the-2016-u-s-news-arab-region-universities-rankings-for-the-first-time-in-history.jpg

Three of the Saudi Arabia universities top the 2016 U.S. News Arab Region Universities rankings for the first time in history.

The overall ranking revealed that King Abdullah University of Science & Technology in Thuwal placed at number three. Second spot went to King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah. King Saudi University in Riyadh made it to the first place.

The Arab Region Universities ranking was organized by the US News and World Report to aid future university students, parents and policy-makers to compare the quality of education these institutions can provide.

Originally, the schools were rated according to their performance in academic research to qualify for the ranking. But for the first time this year, the schools' reputation data were gathered and included to the qualifications ranked.

The 2016 U.S. News Arab Region Universities Rankings is the second edition of the program wherein 124 schools from 18 different countries competed. This shows a visible increase compared to the 91 participating schools from 16 countries during the program inaugural ranking, US News reported.

Out of all the 2016 participating schools, Egypt has the highest number of universities featured at 25 schools claiming spots. Algeria had 20 universities on the rank while Saudi Arabia falls on the third most number of universities featured with 16 institutions.

The ranking tabulation was headed by Robert Morse, US News' educational research head and chief data strategist. He also helped in developing the US education's standardized data.

"The rankings offer prospective students, families, policy-makers and employers a wealth of information on the schools in their region. With the enhanced data, students can make more accurate comparisons between schools," said Morse, Trade Arabia reported.

The research was made possible with the help of employer reputation surveys conducted in the Mena region by Ipsos.

Research data were gathered by the SciVal analytics powered, Elsevier's Scopus, the largest abstract and citation database in the world.

Other schools that made it to the ranking are Cairo University who place number one in veterinary science; American University of Sharjah in United Arab Emirates claiming the number one spot in business and economics and University of Beirut in Lebanon, number one school for arts, humanities and social sciences.

:-)

Strage comment indeed as nobody doubts the superiority of universities in the West alongside with those found in Japan, South Korea and nowadays China to a large extent.

However based on that ranking and numerous others, universities in KSA, the GCC and to a smaller extent the remaining parts of the Arab world are just below that tier along with a a few other developing countries. It could be much worse in other words.

I know that history is history but it is worth noticing that science itself was invented in the Arab world and that the Arab world pioneered science for millennia. Before the Renaissance began it was the Arab world that was home to the foremost, most prestigious and biggest universities and learning centers in the world from Córdoba in the West, to Baghdad in the East, to Damascus in the North, to Sana'a in the South to give a few examples.
Alongside with India and China. Not surprisingly the Arab world, China and India have historically, if we take a look at the past 5 millennia, been the richest areas of the world as well.

For instance according to UNESCO and the Guinness World Records the oldest degree awarding educational institution and university in the world is the University of Al-Quaraouiyine in Fes (Morocco) which was founded by an Arab Hijazi woman (!) named Fatima Muhammad al-Fihri al-Quraysh in 859.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Al_Quaraouiyine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatima_al-Fihri

Some photos:

Mosque and university Al-Qarawiyyin, Fez, Morocco
by ZL-Photography, on Flickr

ablutions à l'intérieur de la mosquée Al-Karaouine by Pierre Metivier, on Flickr

7441415294_bea4c90de6_b.jpg

However there can be no doubt whatsoever that the current state of education and science in the Arab world is overall unsatisfactory. Much more aggressive reforms need to take place and old ills must be left where they belong; in the waste container.
Especially considering the very proud history and legacy of science, education and educational centers in the Arab world. The reasons for the rapid setbacks in the past 5 centuries are too many to mention and they deserve a thread of their own so I will leave that topic aside and merely hope that things will improve as the potential is enormous if given the chance. However I believe that the natural progress and demographics will eventually result in the Arab world regaining or at least seriously strengthening its current position. I have no doubt about this nor have most current-day experts in this field. Numerous academic papers across the world have already touched upon this topic in detail.

In fact one just has to look at the significant progress made in just the past 10 years. Of course this is not much talked about but nevertheless the results are there for all to see and they show progress not decline. Even in war-torn Arab countries such as Iraq and Yemen there is educational progress and less illiteracy for each month.

That's good news,
I've just checked Shanghai ranking and I found King AbdulAziz University (KAU) ranked #6 world wide in Mathematics. I hope other Saudi and Arab universities follow.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectMathematics2015.html

That is brilliant news. I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing this brother.

That's good news,
I've just checked Shanghai ranking and I found King AbdulAziz University (KAU) ranked #6 world wide in Mathematics. I hope other Saudi and Arab universities follow.

That is brilliant news. I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing this brother.

And King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals ranked #23 (Top 200) with King Saud University ranked #113 (Top 200) world wide in Mathematics.

Very very very good news in only 7 years of work - birth of KAUST - (Start initiative King Abdullah refoundation of Education)

Imagine in 30 years... ^ ^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless you !

And King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals ranked #23 (Top 200) with King Saud University ranked #113 (Top 200) world wide in Mathematics.

Very very very good news in only 7 years of work - birth of KAUST - (Start initiative King Abdullah refoundation of Education)

Imagine in 30 years... ^ ^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless you !

Indeed brother. The progress has been praiseworthy to put it mildly. What is better is that the potential remains almost untapped and that so much improvement will occur. "Saudi Vision 2030" will play an important role in this regard. In general I have high hopes for Prince Muhammad bin Salman.

In other news:

Oiling the wheels on a road to success
Pakinam Amer
Nature 532,

Published online
27 April 2016

With the benefit of a sustainable plan and the funds to back it, Saudi Arabia is aiming high.
Saudi Arabia's scientific development may be in its infancy, but the oil-rich Kingdom is making strides in terms of research investment and publication — with a clear ambition to one day join those in the highest echelons.

532S13a-i1.jpg

KAUST students embark on a new school year with a commencement ceremony. The relatively new university has quickly made an impact on the Nature Index.​

In 2012, Saudi Arabia had a weighted fractional count (WFC) of 52.84 in the index, sitting behind Turkey, Iran, Mexico, Chile and South Africa. In four years it rose 86.8% to reach a WFC of 98.67, leapfrogging all these countries to compete with Chile and Argentina globally. Saudi Arabia ranks at number 31 in the world in terms of WFC — up from 39 in 2012.

The country has risen even higher in specific subject areas. In chemistry, for example, it has surpassed countries with a strong scientific impact like Finland and Ireland, with its WFC rising to 66.54, achieving almost a three-fold increase from its position in 2012.

Institutionally, the country's leading science hub King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) made an impressive leap in its WFC between 2012 and 2015, carving a place for itself to compete with American and European research powerhouses.

In just four years, its WFC has risen to become higher than those of prestigious institutions including the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), the University of Georgia, United States, and Dresden University of Technology, Germany, to name a few. The output of all of these institutions dwarfed KAUST's in 2012, but KAUST's impressive trajectory since then has seen its WFC shoot to 72 in 2015, overtaking these heavy-hitters.

The country's science development ambitions have been backed by action. Since 2008, the country has embarked on a multi-tiered strategy that will see the Kingdom overhaul its science infrastructure, build high-spec labs, secure grants for research in priority areas in applied science, and link science to industries that drive the economy.

The strategy, broken into four stages to be implemented by 2030, aims to eventually “see Saudi Arabia become a leader in Asia and give it an economic power based on science,” says Abdulaziz Al-Swailem, vice president of scientific research support at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST).

532S13a-i2.jpg

The Saudi Human Genome Project will sequence 100,000 human genomes to conduct biomedical research in the Saudi population.​

Saudi Arabia's march to the top
Saudi Arabia's efforts to boost its scientific research have been paying off, with its output in the Nature Index (WFC) rising steadily over the years. The two graphs below highlight Saudi Arabia's rise compared to other nations, both overall and for chemistry.

Overall output
In 2012 Saudi Arabia's overall output in the index was below all the countries shown, but continuous efforts have seen the Kingdom's WFC rise to overtake them all in 2015.

Chemistry
More marked than its overall rise, Saudi Arabia has made great strides in chemistry. After accelerated growth, which saw the Kingdom's chemistry WFC triple since 2012, it has outshone many larger players in the field in 2015.

The Kingdom's science investments focus on applied research that feeds directly into the country's industrial interests, particularly the oil and energy sector. But even in its strong subjects, chemistry and the physical sciences, Saudi Arabia's WFC remains modest compared to big players in Asia like China, Japan and South Korea.

To truly swim comfortably with these bigger fish, Saudi Arabia may benefit from looking at successful emerging economies in Asia.

One inspiration could be India. In addition to multi-disciplinary scientific and technical advancements that have improved its output in the index from 736.5 to 901.4 in the past four years, the subcontinental giant has joined the exclusive club of countries that have launched successful space missions.

Like Saudi Arabia, India's leading research institutes focus on chemistry, and their total output currently outstrips their Saudi Arabian counterparts by almost a factor of seven (the latter surpassing 472 in 2015, while the former is 66.5).

India's prowess in chemistry is something that Saudi Arabia can aspire to, considering that working conditions for researchers in the Kingdom are more conducive.

India's science ecosystem is far from perfect. Research funding cannot keep up with inflation and a general slowdown in the country's economy. In addition, commentators from the research community say the funding processes are lengthy, bureaucratic, and provide little feedback when applications for grants are turned down. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia's healthy stream of oil revenue provides assured funding for the country's state-of-the-art research facilities.

While India has slightly increased spending and dedicated US$1.19 billion for the next fiscal year (2016–2017) for science, it has around 700 universities and 200,000 full-time researchers drawing on the same funding pot. By contrast, Saudi Arabia has pledged an education and training budget of US$50.9 billion for next year, which includes higher education and scientific research. With a total population of just 30 million, it has a much lower number of full-time researchers competing for the available resources.

Another impressive trajectory that Saudi Arabia might look to emulate is that of Singapore, which has a smaller population as well and has managed to climb high in the index. Like the Kingdom, Singapore also has a focus on chemistry research, and it has put together a similar top-down national science strategy for research institutes across the country. Both countries have strong collaborations with top universities around the world and are welcoming of foreign researchers in their efforts to drive innovation.

Mansour Alghamdi, director of the general directorate of scientific awareness and publishing at KACST, is optimistic that Saudi Arabia can bridge the large gap that currently exists in the volume of scientific output between it and such countries as India and Singapore.

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has a clear plan to do so and it has the resources,” he says.

Future growth
An internationally rising star
This graph shows KAUST's rise compared to a selection of other institutions*.
*Institutions shown are those that were furthest above KAUST in 2012, have experienced overall growth in WFC by 2015 and have been overtaken by KAUST in 2015. For clarity, only 2012 and 2015 data points are shown.

532S13a-g3.jpg

In 2012, Saudi's ranking in research output, with a WFC of 52.8, meant it was comparable with countries like South Africa, Turkey and Iran, all hovering around the 60–70 mark. Its WFC stood way below countries like Mexico, Hungary, Chile, Greece and Argentina.

532S13a-i3.jpg

Saudi Arabian researchers benefit from cutting-edge labs and generous funding that has boosted the country's R&D.​

Four years later, the country's research outlook is very different and it is surpassing countries like Argentina, Mexico and Hungary in the index, and levelling the playing field with Chile. Chemistry research led the country's rapid rise to surpass these countries, but its life sciences and physical sciences WFCs of 8.5 and 31.5 still lag behind.

However, the Kingdom's AC has been steadily growing in these two fields over the past four years, hinting at the ever-increasing significance of international collaborations. It seems that Saudi Arabian researchers are casting their nets ever wider and are participating in publishing more articles, to the detriment of the WFC accredited for these articles.

Though international collaboration has proved fruitful, Saudi Arabia must keep a focus on nurturing home-grown talent, says Nasser Al-Aqeeli, dean of research at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM), based in Dhahran's 'techno valley' in the eastern region of the Kingdom. In the next five years, he says, the country will focus on a programme for national capacity building.

A good first step was the Saudi government's decision to create a large scholarship programme in 2005, arguably the largest in the world, which has seen more than 200,000 young Saudi Arabians studying abroad. This makes Saudi Arabian students in the United States the fourth largest bloc of expatriate students, following those of China, India and South Korea. The government hopes these students will come back and drive a scientific culture in the country.
Saudi Arabia is also looking to increase its applied research focus, which is an integral part of the current phase of its national science strategy, while securing good funding for basic research as well. Al-Aqeeli says that Saudi's journey involves what he termed a “self-correcting mechanism” where the country is having a slow start in high-impact research, but a more sustainable one. An eventual future move towards basic research might help Saudi Arabia's research capacity to mature.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v532/n7600_supp_ni/full/532S13a.html

More information on this topic:

http://www.natureindex.com/news-blog/saudi-arabian-research-in-six-charts

I say let the ignorants bark and let us work hard to improve and do our own business in silence. We (Arabs) must regain our traditional position in the world and honor our ancestors in this regard. See post 6. There should be no room for excuses, quitters and their likes! Only hard work and necessary reforms! Our generation is by large prepared to take the necessary steps!

Last edited:
I have been to KFUPM more than once and I have a couple of really close friends from there. Not only is the university visually pleasing but all in all it has a really good standard without any doubt.

Best universities (education) in Asia some how still has some due to Westener educators. Look at Hongkong and Singapore in which both of them has many foreign lecturers and even foreign rectors (usually Westeners). China has also acted similar. Saudi I guess has followed similar path recently.

So Western education culture can be absorbed faster with this way. They have already developed their universities long time before us. So there is culture transfer going on.

In Indonesia it is still difficult to do, particularly for state universities (the best universities in my country are state owned like University of Indonesia, Bandung Institute of technology, Padjajaran University, Surabaya Institute of Technology, etc)

We are really very nationalistic, and I think other Asian countries has similar trait, that make us difficult to act like Singapore or Hongkong (still under British until 1990's)

Last edited:
What are you studying if you don't mind me asking?

Same question as the one above.:-)

I didn't study there personally...but my Saudi friends did their bachelors in finance/accounting from KFUPM (they were from Qatif)...so basically I had sort of experienced the university without studying over there (lived in Sharqiya in those days). Later on I moved to Malaysia for a while to study for my bachelors.

Me and my friend from KFUPM later met in Ireland when we went their for our Masters in the same discipline.

ARAB NEWS | Published — Saturday 18 June 2016

education-and-students.jpg

JEDDAH: Nineteen Saudi universities were ranked among the QS top 100 Arab Universities for the year 2015-2016.​

The King Fahad University for Petroleum and Mineral Resources ranked first among Arab universities for the second year in a row, while American University in Beirut ranked second. King Saud University emerged third, King Abdulaziz University fourth and Um Al-Qura University ranked 18th.
QS is one of the most prestigious and famous institutions with respect to university classifications around the world, in addition to the Time Higher Education World University Ranking, and the Academic Ranking for World Universities.
This latest ranking comes after evaluation of 192 universities out of 270 in 21 countries. The ranking relies on a comprehensive evaluation and nine criteria, as well as opportunities and challenges facing regional and global universities, and excellence achieved.
The classification relies on criteria such as answers from academics around the world regarding the best universities for research in their fields, the ratio of faculty to students, publication of studies for members of the educational cadre and the quality of education, and the proportion of foreign students.
QS also looks at the university’s educational reputation and employment prospects for graduates, the university’s website, and the number of published studies and citations for such studies.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/941261/saudi-arabia

@Full Moon @alarabi

Last edited:

ARAB NEWS | Published — Saturday 18 June 2016

education-and-students.jpg

JEDDAH: Nineteen Saudi universities were ranked among the QS top 100 Arab Universities for the year 2015-2016.​

The King Fahad University for Petroleum and Mineral Resources ranked first among Arab universities for the second year in a row, while American University in Beirut ranked second. King Saud University emerged third, King Abdulaziz University fourth and Um Al-Qura University ranked 18th.
QS is one of the most prestigious and famous institutions with respect to university classifications around the world, in addition to the Time Higher Education World University Ranking, and the Academic Ranking for World Universities.
This latest ranking comes after evaluation of 192 universities out of 270 in 21 countries. The ranking relies on a comprehensive evaluation and nine criteria, as well as opportunities and challenges facing regional and global universities, and excellence achieved.
The classification relies on criteria such as answers from academics around the world regarding the best universities for research in their fields, the ratio of faculty to students, publication of studies for members of the educational cadre and the quality of education, and the proportion of foreign students.
QS also looks at the university’s educational reputation and employment prospects for graduates, the university’s website, and the number of published studies and citations for such studies.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/941261/saudi-arabia

@Full Moon @alarabi

Good news for UQU, I hope it gets all the way up with KAU and KSU cuz it started an ambitious project regarding entrepreneurship and knowledge based companies. Since they started their project 5 years ago they have acquired more than 1000 patents through Wadi Makkah Co and its start-ups.

Back
Top Bottom