file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

17a1e5c9.jpg

Chieftan and Merkava:

file.php

Development

In December 1974, Iran ordered 125 Shir 1 (FV4030/2) and 1,225 Shir 2 (FV4030/3) MBTs but the order was cancelled by the new Iranian government in July 1979. The first three FV4030/2 prototypes were completed by January 1977.By this time, production of the FV4030/2 was under way at the Royal Ordnance Factory Leeds (which was subsequently taken over by Vickers Defence Systems and now closed down as an AFV production facility) with first production tanks scheduled for delivery in 1980.In November 1979, Jordan placed an order with the UK for 274 Khalid MBTs worth GBP266 million for delivery from 1981.Further development of the Shir 2 (FV4030/3) resulted in the Challenger 1 MBT which entered service with the British Army in 1983 and for which there is a separate entry in Jane's Armoured Fighting Vehicles. The Challenger 1 MBT was withdrawn from service with the British Army late in 2000 and by 2004 just over 400 of these were transferred to Jordan, where they are known as the Al Hussein.Modifications carried out since the Khalid MBT entered service with the Jordanian Army have included modifications of sights and stowage to allow for the carrying and firing of the then RO Defence 120 mm APFSDS-T ammunition and the upgrading of the David Brown Gear Systems TN37 Mk 2 transmission to TN37 Mk 2A standard.Late in 2002, Vickers Defence Systems was taken over by Alvis plc and the company was renamed Alvis Vickers Limited. In late 2004 Alvis plc was taken over

Description

The Khalid is essentially the FV4030/2 MBT with minor modifications to suit Jordanian requirements; it is based on a late production Chieftain with major changes in the fire-control system and new power pack.The power pack consists of the Perkins Engines Company Condor V-12 1200 diesel, the David Brown Gear Systems TN37 transmission and a cooling system by the now AMETEK Aircontrol Technologies.The power packs for the Khalid (FV4030/2) and Challenger 1 are almost identical and both have twin electric starters.The cooling group essentially consists of two air-to-water radiators, two air-cooled charge air coolers and three 380 mm mixed flow fans, mounted on top of the vehicle drive transmission. The Khalid has a bogie-type suspension, which is a further development of that fitted to Chieftain with nearly twice the suspension travel.The fire-control system of the Khalid is the Computer Sighting System, which is similar to the Chieftain Improved Fire-Control System described in the entry for the Chieftain MBT in Jane's Armoured Fighting Vehicles. The Thales (previously Pilkington Optronics) Tank Laser Sight is also fitted to the Khalid.The commander's cupola is a No 15 which was modified to accept the No 84 sight. The No 84 sight was developed by the now Thales and is a combined day/passive night sight plus projector reticle image unit, and provides the commander with a 24 hour vision and firing capability. The No 84 sight incorporates two independent channels for day and night use and interfaces with the then RO Defence 120 mm L11A5 main.

Specifications

Crew
Weight (kg)
Power-to-weight ratio (h.p./t)
Ground pressure (kg/sm2)
Length (mm)
Width (mm)
Height (mm)
Ground clearance (mm)
Track (mm)
Track link width (mm)
Length of track on ground (mm)
Max. road speed (km/h)
Fuel capacity (l)
Max. road range (km)
Gradient (%)
Side slope (%)
Vertical obstacle (mm)
Trench (mm)
Engine power output (h.p.)
Main weapon caliber (mm)
Auxiliary gun calibre (mm)
AA gun caliber (mm)
Number of smoke grenade launchers
Ammunition of the main gun
Ammunition of the auxiliary gun
Traverse arc (degree)
Elevation (degree)
Depression (degree)
Planes of gun stabilization
Laser range finder

Chieftain was my second favorite 2. gen. MBT, after Leopard 1. Underpowered engines are the endemic of British tanks but it makes up with the armor protection and firepower.

Now that you've switched to 1200hp diesel engine you should go for an ERA application aswell. Asymmetric threats are rising.

Jordanian Tank Force is by far my favorit, They have a huge number of high-tech end built tanks, which in turn are upgraded (Challenger 1 and Chieftain). Complemented with conventional locally upgraded tanks (M60 Pattons), Cost effective and smart.

Chieftain was my second favorite 2. gen. MBT, after Leopard 1. Underpowered engines are the endemic of British tanks but it makes up with the armor protection and firepower.

Now that you've switched to 1200hp diesel engine you should go for an ERA application aswell. Asymmetric threats are rising.
Khalid MBT
file.php

Chieftain
Chieftain_Mk_II-2.jpg

Khalid MBT is an upgrade of Shir 1 (FV4030/2) which it's production started in 1980 and resulted in the Challenger 1 MBT. ERA is really pricey so I think we would only stick to major upgrades. That's what a captain in infantry told me.

Khalid MBT is an upgrade of Shir 1 (FV4030/2) which it's production started in 1980 and resulted in the Challenger 1 MBT. ERA is really pricey so I think we would only stick to major upgrades. That's what a captain in infantry told me.
It's not so simple, you have to analyze threats around Jordan, if you go to war with Israel or Saudi Arabia, tank battles will be your major concern. These are very old tanks, It's imperative for them to get a FCS upgrade if they hope to survive a battle with Merkava IVs and M1A2s, in the north you have Lebanon and Iraq, ATGM threat is much stronger, there so you need reactive armor and improved countermeasures to deal with them.

These two threats require two separate measures, It's your call to decide which one's more realistic, if you ask me, Iraq is too busy with internal problems and Hezbollah seems determined to bring the fight to Israel so I think tank threats are more realistic so if you have to optimize your resources you must pick only engine and FCS upgrades.

Aselsan's Volkan FCS greatly improved the battle performance of Turkish Army Leopard 1s. You can search it in the Turkish section, it might give you an idea on what needs to be done.

It's not so simple, you have to analyze threats around Jordan, if you go to war with Israel or Saudi Arabia, tank battles will be your major concern. These are very old tanks, It's imperative for them to get a FCS upgrade if they hope to survive a battle with Merkava IVs and M1A2s, in the north you have Lebanon and Iraq, ATGM threat is much stronger, there so you need reactive armor and improved countermeasures to deal with them.

These two threats require two separate measures, It's your call to decide which one's more realistic, if you ask me, Iraq is too busy with internal problems and Hezbollah seems determined to bring the fight to Israel so I think tank threats are more realistic so if you have to optimize your resources you must pick only engine and FCS upgrades.

Aselsan's Volkan FCS greatly improved the battle performance of Turkish Army Leopard 1s. You can search it in the Turkish section, it might give you an idea on what needs to be done.

Are you joking?

Arab countries don't attack each other. Jordan is a brotherly fellow Arab and Sunni nation of KSA and vice versa. All Jordanian Arabs have ties to KSA and many Saudis to Jordan. Relations have been excellent and brotherly since the day Jordan was established. Even the Royal Family of Jordan is originally from Hejaz in KSA.

The only threat for Jordan is that of Israel and internal disputes. Other than that not much aside from The Child-Murder (Bashar) and his regime.

The only conflict between Arab countries I can see in the near future is that of a sectarian one and the only Shia-majority country in the Arab world (the only other one is tiny Bahrain) that could cause some problems to a fellow Arab country would be Iraq.

Lebanon has not any interest nor power to attack Jordan nor are the two countries even neighbors! Lebanon is moreover mixed with 1/3 Christians, 1/3 Sunnis and 1/3 Shias. Same story with Iraq apart from the neighbor part.

All conflicts we have seen in the Arab world in the last many decades (aside from Saddam's attack on Kuwait) have been internal disputes or armed conflicts inside the countries among group X and Y. Be it political or religious. There have been no direct conflict/war between Arab countries themselves. The Yemen civil war does not count, even though it de facto was against two separate countries (North and South Yemen) since North and South was basically always part of historical Yemen which is one of the oldest civilizations in the world.

Saudi Arabia has never been a threat to Jordan and will never be. The only potential threats next to our borders are Israel, Bashar regime and terrorism. This tank got the latest Raytheon's IFCS upgrade along with other major upgrades. I think Jordanian inventory of tanks (1200) are enough considering it's small size and limited resources. As for Israel, Jordan can't match their huge tank fleet, yet Jordan turned to create small professional groups armed with latest ATGMs to counter this threat. Tens of thousands of ATGMs are in our inventory, the most effective ones are 192 Javelin CLUs, 200 AT-14 Kornet, 393 TOW-2A and 60000 RPG-32 are being produced locally every year.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-photos-multimedia/167253-jordanian-anti-tank-systems.html

@al-Hasani, I don't give a rat's azz for philosophy. I am no politician, my advice was strictly professional. I don't get fooled by status quo, the Army's job isn't to trust, it is to be fvcking prepared.
Saudi Arabia has never been a threat to Jordan and will never be. The only potential threats next to our borders are Israel, Bashar regime and terrorism. This tank got the latest Raytheon's IFCS upgrade along with other major upgrades. I think Jordanian inventory of tanks (1200) are enough considering it's small size and limited resources. As for Israel, Jordan can't match their huge tank fleet, yet Jordan turned to create small professional groups armed with latest ATGMs to counter this threat. Tens of thousands of ATGMs are in our inventory, the most effective ones are 192 Javelin CLUs, 200 AT-14 Kornet, 393 TOW-2A and 60000 RPG-32 are being produced locally every year.
Turkey has more than 4000 tanks, numbers don't matter. What's important is how many of them are ready for a tank battle. IF you are expecting a conflict with a major tank force SUCH AS Israel OR Saudi Arabia, all of your tanks must be ready for it. Obviously Raytheon did some job with these but they lack the basic hunter-killer capability so I'm skeptical. I need to know their first-hit probability ratios while stationary and on the move so I can make a comparison.

ATGMs must be used for self-defence, only tanks and must be sent to counter tanks. ATGM armed transport vehicles and infantry has no hope of survival in a head-on firefight.
ORD_ATGM_TOW_Launch_lg.jpg

Obviously, these are NOT tank hunters :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You had the Arabs here tell you what Jordan should be prepared for and what not. Not to mention the only Jordanian here. I am simply telling you about the realities.

Yes, every single army should be prepared for everything but there are limits of "what if" theories. One of them was your mention of KSA "possibly" intending to attack Jordan.

Let's stick to the reality and not fairytales.

Are you joking?

Arab countries don't attack each other. Jordan is a brotherly fellow Arab and Sunni nation of KSA and vice versa. All Jordanian Arabs have ties to KSA and many Saudis to Jordan. Relations have been excellent and brotherly since the day Jordan was established. Even the Royal Family of Jordan is originally from Hejaz in KSA.

The only threat for Jordan is that of Israel and internal disputes. Other than that not much aside from The Child-Murder (Bashar) and his regime.

The only conflict between Arab countries I can see in the near future is that of a sectarian one and the only Shia-majority country in the Arab world (the only other one is tiny Bahrain) that could cause some problems to a fellow Arab country would be Iraq.

Lebanon has not any interest nor power to attack Jordan nor are the two countries even neighbors! Lebanon is moreover mixed with 1/3 Christians, 1/3 Sunnis and 1/3 Shias. Same story with Iraq apart from the neighbor part.

All conflicts we have seen in the Arab world in the last many decades (aside from Saddam's attack on Kuwait) have been internal disputes or armed conflicts inside the countries among group X and Y. Be it political or religious. There have been no direct conflict/war between Arab countries themselves. The Yemen civil war does not count, even though it de facto was against two separate countries (North and South Yemen) since North and South was basically always part of historical Yemen which is one of the oldest civilizations in the world.
Didnt know that Israel threathend Jordan,care to inlighten ?

@al-Hasani, I don't give a rat's azz for philosophy. I am no politician, my advice was strictly professional. I don't get fooled by status quo, the Army's job isn't to trust, it is to be fvcking prepared.

Turkey has more than 4000 tanks, numbers don't matter. What's important is how many of them are ready for a tank battle. IF you are expecting a conflict with a major tank force SUCH AS Israel OR Saudi Arabia, all of your tanks must be ready for it. Obviously Raytheon did some job with these but they lack the basic hunter-killer capability so I'm skeptical. I need to know their first-hit probability ratios while stationary and on the move so I can make a comparison.

ATGMs must be used for self-defence, only tanks and must be sent to counter tanks. ATGM armed transport vehicles and infantry has no hope of survival in a head-on firefight.
ORD_ATGM_TOW_Launch_lg.jpg

Obviously, these are NOT tank hunters :)

Those tanks are upgraded to meet NATO standards and not just some local upgrade. All Jordanian tanks almost got the same upgrade that included new armor, engine, IFCS, L3 Communications, CITV and other accessories. However, regarding the hunter-killer capability:

The first Jordanian Armed Forces (JAF) M60A3 tank battalion upgraded with the Raytheon Integrated Fire Control System (IFCS) is now fully operational. This major upgrade is being carried out by the King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) in partnership with Raytheon. Under current plans it is expected that a total of four JAF M60A3 battalions fitted with the IFCS will be operational by 2007.

KADDB is now looking at a number of additional upgrades to the M60A3, including the installation of an all-electric gun control system to replace the current hydraulic system and a roof-mounted commanders independent thermal viewer (CITV). The installation of the latter will enable hunter/killer target engagements to take place. Raytheon is regarded by KADDB as a “strategic partner“ and will also integrate the IFCS into other platforms in the future. A soft kill defensive aids system is expected to be integrated into an upgraded M60A3, followed by a hard kill system.

The Raytheon IFCS is also being installed in the Al Hussein hybrid tank, which is an ex-UK Challenger 1 tank fitted with the Swiss RUAG Land Systems 120mm smooth bore gun. The UK has supplied some 400 Challenger 1 tanks to the JAF under a government-to-government deal. The JAF are also taking delivery of upgraded M113 series APC, and KADDB has an agreement to market these vehicles to selected countries in the region. Being shown at IDEX 2005 is the Phoenix M60 upgrade, which includes a 120mm smooth bore gun, IFCS, appliqué passive armour and a more powerful 950hp AVDS-1790 series diesel engine.

Post-Upgrade Status

Ability to acquire both moving and stationary targets.
High rate of first round hit probability.
Improved protection and survivability.
Improved mobility and maneuverability

For more info:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-warfare/167821-m60-phoenix-main-battle-tank.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/237356-al-hussein-mbt.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom