What's new

Kh-32

I do not dismiss it at all, but rather question the motives of updating an older system to keep it relevant in terms of finances.
After all, the Mig-31 seems old but as such it is still possibly the best interceptor in service if updated to BM configuration.

It`s not an update , it`s new missile , more or less from Kh-22. Russian military thinks it needs anti-ship/carrier weapon that will replace Kh-22 which is going out of service due to "age" next few years.

It`s not an update , it`s new missile , more or less from Kh-22. Russian military thinks it needs anti-ship/carrier weapon that will replace Kh-22 which is going out of service due to "age" next few years.

Not really, apart from the range it has the same speed and payload. The updates may be in the guidance and perhaps new manoeuvres but essentially it is not a new system. It is the carrier killer weapon but as I said on the status of the SM-6 missile series; they are designed from the outset to kill this and TBMs travelling at M20. So, the effectiveness of this weapon as compared to say the Kh-22 in its time against US carriers is actually less even if its a new weapon. Thats because the US military has learnt to fight it.

At the end of the day the best anti carrier weapon system was the P-700/Oscar(949) class combination. Silent, and able to get close enough to launch a barrage that leaves MUCH less time for a carrier to react as compared to a tu-22 strike.

Not really, apart from the range it has the same speed and payload. The updates may be in the guidance and perhaps new manoeuvres but essentially it is not a new system.

We don`t know that since capabilities are kept secret , if Kh-101/102 serves as an experiance , it`s new missile in my book. OTOH you could be as well right.

"In high-altitude mode, it climbs to an altitude of 27,000 m (89,000 ft) and makes a high-speed dive into the target, with a terminal speed of about Mach 4.6. In low-altitude mode, it climbs to 12,000 m (39,000 ft) and makes a shallow dive at about Mach 3.5, making the final approach at an altitude under 500 m (1,600 ft)."
Kh-22 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This does not mean it is flying at such speed, merely that speed goes up to this during terminal DIVE. Compare to CM-400AKG Wrecker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom