What's new

KF-X Fighter: Korea’s Future Homegrown Jet

If it is so important so why F15 EX doesnt use a bump in their intake

All the modern ones do look at UCAS, Airbus one, Swedish one, Tempest project even India's AMCA wants DSI. DSI will require much more redesign of F-15 intakes. F-15 intakes are highly variable geometry and the entire fighter depends a lot on the change in intake geometry. Unlike some fighter may be easier to redesign to perform well with DSI.

Yes DSI is very important otherwise all the most modern fighters will not use them. But DSI is also not easy. A lot requires supercomputer work and very advanced wind tunnels.

Last edited:
Yes DSI is very important otherwise all the most modern fighters will not use them. But DSI is also not easy. A lot requires supercomputer work and very advanced wind tunnels.

Correct, hell even Russia and Sweden can't make a DSI plane.

No Russia can and I'm sure Sweden can too. Sweden's 5th generation project I think also has DSI.

Russia experimented and tested DSI in the past. For Su-57 their intake design is strange because it shows some parts of fan but can be hidden with blocker and with special materials too. But they want this design without DSI because the performance for this particular design is better with the intake they are using. This is not true for other different designed fighters.

Also Su-57 has much better top speed than DSI fighters and the Russian feel that is more important and the intakes are maybe more suitable for the kind of maneuver Su-57 can do. It even has some air vent under and on the side of the intake which can be opened. DSI may not feed enough air as required. You see how they even need to place fan in such direct angle even though they understand radar signature so they use other engineering ideas to solve that problem. You think top Russian engineers don't understand S shape and hiding fan completely? Su-57 is just top performer in every way but China and Western powers all want long range superiority. Russian feel they can achieve same level of long range strength even with exposed fan because they say they work around it. Maybe they achieved total work around maybe 90% but this decision shows this path is best for their purpose.

You see just like some cars are diesel some are turbo some are electric. All about purpose. KFX version 1 will not have DSI maybe because it only offer small advantage but will take many more years to develop. USA and China even Russia have both worked on DSI for so long and now familiar with it totally and master this technology. Korea can too but is it worth extra time and cost?

For starters internal weapons bay.

the complexity of the internal weapons bay is linked to the operational specification. For instance, launching AAMs while inverted OR opening -launching- closing the weapons bay in <10s will require more advanced engineering . A simple less ambitious operational specifications on the other hand isn’t all that difficult. I don’t think anyone here on PDF knows enough about either the J-31 or the KF-X to authoritatively claim one or the other is designed to meet more stringent operational goals.

@Deino constantly rages against overstating without evidence so I am surprised he casually made such a bold claim.

the complexity of the internal weapons bay is linked to the operational specification. For instance, launching AAMs while inverted OR opening -launching- closing the weapons bay in <10s will require more advanced engineering . A simple less ambitious operational specifications on the other hand isn’t all that difficult. I don’t think anyone here on PDF knows enough about either the J-31 or the KF-X to authoritatively claim one or the other is designed to meet more stringent operational goals.

@Deino constantly rages against overstating without evidence so I am surprised he casually made such a bold claim.

more advanced in what way?

I need to apologise that I missed to reply and now it becomes clear why you requested an explanation, which requires another excuse. I meant it is more advanced not in terms of technology - this is indeed questionable - but advanced in terms of schedule given the fact that the FC-31 is already flying since years and we expect a serial variant anytime soon.

Sorry for this confusion.

lol... DSI was first theorized and tested by SAAB. .of Sweden. DSI isn't ideal in all flight regimes it is another compromise to reduce weight and complexity

J-10, F-35, J-31, J-20, JF-17 all use DSI. It is new technology. Completely different from traditional intake design. Think quantum computer compared to digital computer.

Japan future 5 generation fighter doesnt use DSI

1616188148603.png

1616188177539.png

This project has seriously stalled. They had a flyable demonstrator a number of years ago. Now it's a simple model that looks exactly the same as F-22.

Roll out ceremony in livestream ... now:

Here it is, the KF-21 "Boramae" or "Falcon" / "Young Falcon" just unveiled.

1617947674172.png

1617947684620.png
1617947694229.png
1617947711433.png
1617947759556.png
1617947786295.png
1617947851269.png
1617947921651.png
1617947971829.png
1617948023073.png

Will the North Koreans try to go for even a modest number of J-31, somehow, as a result of this? Would China be willing to sell it to them?

Try, maybe ... will get, surely not in the foreseeable future and IMO unlikely ever. They did not even get J-10.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom