What's new

KF 21 mass production will be started in 2024 inshaAllah

Biggest constraint going for it then.
It depends country to country. For Indonesia, USA is considerred as friend, as well as USA look on Indonesia.

For long term, it is likely South Korea will be able to replace F414 in the future.

For your information, South Korea has a program to produce jet engine for their UAV in 2025, 2 years from now.

48 planes are the promise for the deal (for Korean it will be 120 planes), but as fighter production facility is being built in Indonesian Aerospace and the company is entering fighter manufacturing business, the number of KF21 being produced in Indonesian Aerospace will likely be quite many, more over because there is plan to keep developing it until 6 generation fighter.

231531-4fc2db4932f0a55441d17eafc5087a10.jpg

Adding with Indonesia Defense Law which forbids any foreign defense equipment being bought if there is already local alternative, plus with expected economic growth that is projected by IMF, it is very likely the planes will be bought for at least 150-250 planes. That will also likely STEALTH wingman UCAV program being started by Indonesian Aerospace after 2026.

Indonesia will also become part of supply chain and supply wing and tail part for all KF21 population. Actually even current prototypes have Indonesian made parts, alluminium ones (informed by my connection inside the program and also backed by the company document I have posted in KFX/IFX thread). For the composite, Indonesian Aerospace still need to improve its production facility.

1679815907464-png.922182

We can see Jokowi speech during KF21 roll out ceremony, despite he is not the initiator of the cooperation that has been started since 2011, he said the plane will be Indonesian fighter backbone until 2040's. The one that initiated the program from Indonesian side (Democrat Party) is currently serving as opposition in parliament.

For future after 2040, the fighter types operated by Indonesian Air Force will likely only two, KF21 and Rafale (42 planes) while the rest will likely be retired in late 2030's.

For precise induction, we cannot tell you when as the development program hasnt been completed

IFX production facility in Indonesian Aerospace

Before

DSC_5288.jpg

After

FfzZETqVIAA_weD

Will Indonesia be able to export the plane without conditions from South Korea?

F414 is also used by planes developed by countries who want to be independent in jet engine technology like Turkis Hurjet and Indian Tejas Mark II/ AMCA

So there is chances that those countries maybe able to make the alternative of F414 type of engine ( diameter, lenght, weight, etc) in the future.

Will Indonesia be able to export the plane without conditions from South Korea?

Nope, unless there is amandement on the previous contract. Amandement for contract is still possible to happen in the future. It is not my opinion, but the opinion of Indonesian senior design enginner on KFX/IFX program that I know personally. Current deal is made with several condition that should be met, if for example Indonesia will do more than it should be like buying the planes more than it should be, so there is chance for that too happen.

From what I know the main reason Indonesia cannot export the plane is because USA doesnt give export license for Indonesia for their critical technology put on KF21.

Only fuselage ( wing and tail) that can be exported from Indonesia, not the whole plane. For production of complete plane (system integration, assembling, part production ( wing and tail), testing) it can only be eligible for Indonesian Defense Ministry order.

Beside that, this JV is not equal, South Korea is the senior partner while Indonesia is junior partner.

There is still chance for exporting despite of what I said earlier in the future due to close industrial participation. For example Indonesia is not developer of C212, we just buy the production license in 1970's, but later we can export the plane due to close industrial collaboration between Airbus Defence and Indonesian Aerospace.

Work share contract for example can also be changed due to several reason.

Nope, unless there is amandement on the previous contract. Amandement for contract is still possible to happen in the future. It is not my opinion, but the opinion of Indonesian senior design enginner on KFX/IFX program that I know personally. Current deal is made with several condition that should be met, if for example Indonesia will do more than it should be like buying the planes more than it should be, so there is chance for that too happen.

From what I know the main reason Indonesia cannot export the plane is because USA doesnt give export license for Indonesia for their critical technology put on KF21.

Only fuselage ( wing and tail) that can be exported from Indonesia, not the whole plane. For production of complete plane (system integration, assembling, part production ( wing and tail), testing) it can only be eligible for Indonesian Defense Ministry order.

Beside that, this JV is not equal, South Korea is the senior partner while Indonesia is junior partner.

There is still chance for exporting despite of what I said earlier in the future due to close industrial participation. For example Indonesia is not developer of C212, we just buy the production license in 1970's, but later we can export the plane due to close industrial collaboration between Airbus Defence and Indonesian Aerospace.

Work share contract for example can also be changed due to several reason.

Thank you for the very comprehensive answer. I hope Indonesia can master the key technologies involved so that it can become another Turkey.

Thank you for the very comprehensive answer. I hope Indonesia can master the key technologies involved so that it can become another Turkey.

Your welcome.

Amin, I hope so. I hope current and next Indonesian government will give more support on Indonesian R&D program. Indonesian Aerospace actually wants to conduct its own R&D in fighter development, the name of the program is tech readiness. Hopefully they will get sufficient financial support to conduct that internal R&D program.

I also want to add more about export license matter. Actually with current production facility prepared for KFX/IFX program, IMO Indonesian government doesnt need to much worry about KF21 export license matter. It is because Indonesia internal demand for fighters is likely quite high in the future as we have prepared Essential Force program for future acquisition program while Minimum Essential Force is not yet even met, even if all 42 Rafale planes come in 2029.

KFX/IFX program should also not be look as business investment that merely see ROI and profit as basis, but it should be rather look as strategic investment (the essential step taken to reach real self-sufficient in defense (which is a long journey) )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom