What's new

Kerala Corner

Isn't the Kerala Govt killing off two of it's biggest sources of income with such a move though? Also, Gujaat isn't as dependent on tourism to fill it's coffers as Kerala. People earn well in Gujarat so that they can spend well in Kerala.:D
Kerala's economy runs on remittances and not on tourism. :D

Indischer said:
And I think you're misinformed on the per-capita figures Didijaan. Kerala has the 2nd highest per-capita income in South India, but Sikkim, Punjab, Goa, Delhi, Maharashtra etc are much ahead.

State Wise Per Capita Income of India
Oops!!
Then I should have mentioned kerala's HDI(human development index) instead.HDI takes into consideration per capita income and other factors such as health and education too.
At Rs 1.03 lakh Maharashtra has the second highest per capita income as compared to other major states in the country but on the HDI it ranks way below states like Kerala and Punjab that have a much lower per capita income.
And you know what??
Its pretty visible when you visit these states. Isnt it??

It's a loss no doubt Ravi. He had his share of admirers, and make no mistake, his works have influenced(and continue to influence) many Kannadigas for over 4 decades. Just that I found his literary style rather bland....purely a personal opinion.

And my disdain over him getting the Jnanpith stems from the fact that S L Bhyrappa, another splendid writer, has been denied the Jnanpith purely on political grounds. Seems like somewhere in the abyss of my thoughts, I hold a small grudge against U.R.Anantamurthy over this.

well, when even a character like V.S. Naipaul gets the Nobel prize, why not Bhyrappa for Jnanapith?

Remember, V.S. didn't have the most pleasant things to say about female and black writers, which led to arguments with Derek Walcott, a fellow West Indian Nobel Laureate.

@Indischer @levina

The prohibition depends on two things. The impact it has on the economy, and how effectively the Kerala government can check the growth of organised crime in illegal liquor sales.

Kerala's economy runs on remittances and not on tourism. :D

Oops!!
Then I should have mentioned kerala's HDI(human development index) instead.HDI takes into consideration per capita income and other factors such as health and education too.
At Rs 1.03 lakh Maharashtra has the second highest per capita income as compared to other major states in the country but on the HDI it ranks way below states like Kerala and Punjab that have a much lower per capita income.
And you know what??
Its pretty visible when you visit these states. Isnt it??

Didn't get your alert again!:mad:

Remittences aren't taxed by the Kerala Govt, are they?:unsure: Because that's one source which will never run dry for Kerala.:D
Yeah, HDI-wise, Kerala is doing very well. And as you pointed out, it's quite apparent when one visits the rich states with lower HDI.:agree:

well, when even a character like V.S. Naipaul gets the Nobel prize, why not Bhyrappa for Jnanapith?

Remember, V.S. didn't have the most pleasant things to say about female and black writers, which led to arguments with Derek Walcott, a fellow West Indian Nobel Laureate.

@Indischer @levina

The prohibition depends on two things. The impact it has on the economy, and how effectively the Kerala government can check the growth of organised crime in illegal liquor sales.

I think Govts often fall into the fallacy of thinking that acknowledging the literary merits of an author will amount to endorsing his political or ideological views. At least they seem to believe this thought will take root in people.

V S Naipaul is another author whose writing I don't enjoy. Too bland and too convoluted at times for my liking.

Didn't get your alert again!:mad:

Remittences aren't taxed by the Kerala Govt, are they?:unsure: Because that's one source which will never run dry for Kerala.:D
Yeah, HDI-wise, Kerala is doing very well. And as you pointed out, it's quite apparent when one visits the rich states with lower HDI.:agree:

I read somewhere that Tamil Nadu 25 years ago had 15% more GDP per capita than Uttar Pradesh. They did well enough to get where they are now.

I read somewhere that Tamil Nadu 25 years ago had 15% more GDP per capita than Uttar Pradesh. They did well enough to get where they are now.

Whoa! Pretty damning stats for UP if true. Because Tamil Nadu hasn't done anything out of the ordinary to reach where they are at present.

Whoa! Pretty damning stats for UP if true. Because Tamil Nadu hasn't done anything out of the ordinary to reach where they are at present.

Can Bihar and UP do a TN? | Business Line

here is the link that talks about it.

it is also amazing how people's opinion of various politicians. For months, I have heard only bad things about KCR in Telangana for a long while.

In a thread yesterday, I found some defenders of him.

Enniki ariyaam aayirinnu. :agree:
BRill orru valiye thread thane undu pdfum matte site-innde relation ne kurichu.

8-)

Avide njan try cheythata, pakshe free email pattilla polum, enikku official id upayogikkan thalparyam illa..... Than avide member ano... Muthalaliyude underil ulla matte forumil member anu, pakshe active alla..... athu oru boring sthalam anu..... Ithum athum thammilulla difference, Shaji kailasinde cinemayum Adur gopalakrishnande cinemayum thammilulla vethyasam anu.

Avide njan try cheythata, pakshe free email pattilla polum, enikku official id upayogikkan thalparyam illa..... Than avide member ano... Muthalaliyude underil ulla matte forumil member anu, pakshe active alla..... athu oru boring sthalam anu..... Ithum athum thammilulla difference, Shaji kailasinde cinemayum Adur gopalakrishnande cinemayum thammilulla vethyasam anu.
Lolzzz

Yeshh!
Avide enniki oru id undu pakshe pookar illiya.
BRill eniki id illiya. Read matrame cheyaarullu.

@Indischer @levina

If executed immaculately then our society will finally get to go through a metanoia....finally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom