What's new

Kaveri engine to be installed in 2018

There is a grave fault if alone engine takes 33 years to install on a 1980's designed fighter like lca. So trisonics wakeup and accept those running the project have some serious problems if it was US they would have been fired within first 8 years of the project.

Do I need to Remind You that, Kaveri Has the Thrust as same as the Engine Fixed On JF-17?? We are Working on the betterment of It, I n todays world 86Kn Thrust is Nothing, Need atleast 95-100KN.... And Its Better To be satisfied with the Best....

hi. this kaveri engine is said to b of 90+kn power. its a complete enhanced engine. then we operate now(ioc- 2011)

Do I need to Remind You that, Kaveri Has the Thrust as same as the Engine Fixed On JF-17?? We are Working on the betterment of It, I n todays world 86Kn Thrust is Nothing, Need atleast 95-100KN.... And Its Better To be satisfied with the Best....

Sir, thrust is not the only parameter suggesting the operational and working capability of the engine.

Other factors are also important for the engine to fully meet if it wants to be operational.

If Kaveri has so much thrust and its other parameters are not satisfactory, then thrust has no use, even if its 130kN.

Sir, thrust is not the only parameter suggesting the operational and working capability of the engine.

Other factors are also important for the engine to fully meet if it wants to be operational.

If Kaveri has so much thrust and its other parameters are not satisfactory, then thrust has no use, even if its 130kN.

Kaveri Did Not meet Parameters such as operating at a higher working temperature due to its crystalline turbine blade, Now that India has Its Own Single crystal Blade technology We would be able to increase the thermal efficiency of the gas turbine cycle. Secondly IAF is Not happy with the Thrust , and Its taking Time for DRDO to work on with the Thrust...

Kaveri Did Not meet Parameters such as operating at a higher working temperature due to its crystalline turbine blade, Now that India has Its Own Single crystal Blade technology We would be able to increase the thermal efficiency of the gas turbine cycle. Secondly IAF is Not happy with the Thrust , and Its taking Time for DRDO to work on with the Thrust...

Well don't mind Sir, but if i had seen kaveri flying in some aircraft and had it shown its reliability as well as operational stamina, i would have agreed that its a successful project, even though the requirements of the IAF have increased.

But, i do know, one day its gonna become a successful engine as it takes time, not an easy tech to master.

kavei by 2018 is still not a done deal. we all know we cant trust the deadline set by babu of drdo.

iaf doesnt trust - drdo at all, recently when i met few of my pilot friends they told me same drdo and hal work quality goes by 10 times up when they work for foreign deals. but when it comes to local supply the quality and time consuption keep irritating.

kaveri in itself is a failed project for getting delayed - lca which one of the most delayed project was suppose to be installed with this engine but it wont be . the reason of existence of kaveri is gone.

now the engine they will be working for should be for fifth gen fighter. which is diffrent deal

to me kaveri is dead long time back , this engine if india comes up with - should be renamed something else, as new project.

Well don't mind Sir, but if i had seen kaveri flying in some aircraft and had it shown its reliability as well as operational stamina, i would have agreed that its a successful project, even though the requirements of the IAF have increased.

But, i do know, one day its gonna become a successful engine as it takes time, not an easy tech to master.

Sir, It has Powered IL 76 while undergoing High Altitude Testing .... 3-4 times, and It again is.... It has To prove its reliability first.... and The Major work is Going to be , Ensuring its Operational worthiness before LCA MK2 LSP rolls Out, and For The AMCA, and Thus the Requirements of thrust Have been changed further to 3 digit Figure.... As Long as DRDO and Armed forced do No Get along its seems Impossible to me...

Last edited:
IMO, may be they are delaying it ,so that it be ready when the tejas mk2 becomes operational? cos in my opinion we are competing with euro jet and the ge for the present tejas isn't it? so whats the point in hurrying so fast if we have reliable engines for our present needs. better to give kaveri some time and remove all its glitches. better safe than sorry.

Ok you would still not fire those after 24 years of engine not being ready to the point for installations. 24 years I'm talking about not even 8 years?

No one will teach anyone else how to make jet engines. The Brits taught the Americans and the French. The Russians stole this through spies. And that was the club till every recently when China got a jump on their technology when they hired a bunch of Soviet scientists after the SU breakup..but their engine technology still has to mature even after all this.

A big mistake by India trying to hire Snecma to develop the Kaveri. Snecma wants to use their existing core and not the Kaveri engine core. So again while India will get an engine,they won't learn anything if they go this route. Rather buy a new engine than waste money on JV.

Last edited:
No one will teach anyone else how to make jet engines. The Brits taught the Americans and the French. The Russians stole this through spies. And that was the club till every recently when China got a jump on their technology when they hired a bunch of Soviet scientists after the SU breakup..but their engine technology still has to mature even after all this.

A big mistake by India trying to hire Snecma to develop the Kaveri. Snecma wants to use their existing core and not the Kaveri engine core. So again while India will get an engine,they won't learn anything if they go this route. Rather buy a new engine than waste money on JV.

To be fair to the Russians, the British naively sold them Rolls-Royce engines in 1946 (thinking they were still allies). They didn't steal it.
To Stalin's amazement, the British Labour government and its pro-Soviet Minister of Trade, Sir Stafford Cripps, were perfectly willing to provide technical information and a license to manufacture the Rolls-Royce Nene. This engine was reverse-engineered and produced as the Klimov RD-45, subsequently incorporated into the MiG-15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-15

To be fair to the Russians, the British naively sold them Rolls-Royce engines in 1946 (thinking they were still allies). They didn't steal it.

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is hardly true. By 1945 Churchill was contemplating the infamous Operation Unthinkable. The lack of a common enemy, Nazi Germany, made the Soviet Union the #1 enemy of the West.

As a matter of fact while the Rolls Royce transferred some know how to the Russians they still had to obtain some information through espionage. I recall watching a documentary on the Russian procurement of jet technology and was impressed by the ingenious method that they employed. They sent spies with shoes with sponge soles to the Rolls Royce factory and were able to obtain the material composition of the engine through the metal shillings embedded in the shoes!

That is hardly true. By 1945 Churchill was contemplating the infamous Operation Unthinkable. The lack of a common enemy, Nazi Germany, made the Soviet Union the #1 enemy of the West.

As a matter of fact while the Rolls Royce transferred some know how to the Russians they still had to obtain some information through espionage. I recall watching a documentary on the Russian procurement of jet technology and was impressed by the ingenious method that they employed. They sent spies with shoes with sponge soles to the Rolls Royce factory and were able to obtain the material composition of the engine through the metal shillings embedded in the shoes!

lol I heard that story too but the version I heard was that the Russian had sandpaper on his sole. I was really confused by this and thought "doesn't that mean he has to kick the aircraft?" and wouldn't the Rolls-Royce engineers go "stop kicking our plane...jerk"

Your story seems more plausible...

Kaveri is no longer a single project. it has many offshoots.

1. For Indian Railways GT loco or solo power plant ( no clear data available).
2. Stand alone power Plants
3. Kaveri marine turbine engine ( order already placed for power generation unit and development of propulsion unit in progress)
4. Miniaturized kaveri for Future AJT, MBT etc.... they will work on this once Kaveri achieves certain level of maturity

5. LCA Mk1 Kaveri.... this will be fitted in any of the PV aircraft for demonstation only

6. Kaveri with Eco core. will be ready by 2018, by the time MCA prototype would be frozen and work will start on reenginng Tejas MK1..

which by then would have completed 8 years ...

Sad but true.

P.S. Those sukhoi pakora's will be enough to fry the enemy's A$$ :sniper:

This cracked me up. When you are attempting an insult, at least keep the semantics consistent :-) Pakoras themselves are fried... and they often get burnt to a crisp.

There is an art to engineering insults, you know ;-)

Sorry to be off topic but which engine is currently used in LCA? isn't Kaveri for LCA?

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom