What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
And I think GoP and Rangers must be commended for helping this happen. It would'nt be possible without their help in controlling infiltration.

After 18 yrs, peaceful Eid in Valley - India - NEWS - The Times of India

SRINAGAR: During the last 18 years of militancy, religious fervor in the Kashmir Valley has been subdued by blasts and killings. But, this
Eid-ul-Fitr was different: There was no violence or even the customarily shrill `azadi' speeches.

That's not to say there wasn't a flutter either: Soon after Eid prayers at various shrines in Srinagar on Monday, Hurriyat activists marched toward the Hyderpora house of hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest for the last one month. The police resorted to a mild lathi charge to dissuade them from continuing their walk.

Meanwhile Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, addressing a large gathering at the Eidgah ground notably without the rigorous security ring urged the Centre to "open a dialogue with Kashmiris to end uncertainty.'' He said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's forthcoming visit to Kashmir had created hopes of a resolution to the Kashmir issue.

For thousands of people who turned up at the prayer ground in their best dressed, the day marked a welcome change. Ghulam Mohammad Najar, a resident of Rawalpora who attended the prayers, said: "Everyone looked relaxed because there were no security men around Eidgah.''

Recalling the difficult days, Dr Rouf Jeelani of Buchpora, who too attended the Eidgah prayers, said: "The place used to be under the control of separatists. But this year, it was only religion that was being talked about.'' He hoped the situation would return to pre-1990 days.

According to Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda, there has been a sharp decline in militant activity in the last three years. "Today, people came out on the streets without fear. The police had to face a tough time regulating traffic.''

Men, women and children wearing new clothes were seen strolling along the Dal Lake Boulevard. "I haven't experienced such a huge rush here,'' said Bashir Ahmad Wani, a resident of Nishat. Special prayers were also held at Dargah Hazratbal and at the sprawling TRC Ground in Civil Lines, where Jamiat-e-Ahli Hadees chief Maulana Shawkat Ahmad Shah led a congregation.

Residents of Shopian, too, celebrated without protests

Are there any other issues that could hold up full normalization of relations?

I don't think so, human nature is like that first its Kashmir then it will be something else.

Unfortunately No. The idea of India and Pakistan is completely opposed to one another. Even if this was not the case, i'm sure our lovely politicians would find some way to make us hate each other. They are after all, despite opinions to the contrary, not completely useless.

Even now, both sides know the benefits of cooperation far outweigh the costs of conflict. It's just that Kashmir is a uniquely emotional and historical issue for both sides.

I don't know if any other issue would assume this much importance.

Yes of course. We won;t have any reason to fight after that. No threat from India to Pakistan and Pakistan to India.

I dont think so, there are plenty of issues to fight for, If its not kashmir then its water / Terrorists / Rann of kutch / Religion.

I think u ppl are think abt Step - 2 and ahead of it... be4 think abt Step - 1....coz wht is possible solution from Indian Point of View is not necessirly a good or per se a Right solution from Pak. Point of View.... and vice-versa.

so first think abt Step -1.... which is... what is the possible resolution on this.

Funny thread.......makes me laugh......even after Kashmir is sorted...ther will be a Khalistan......Pilistan.....Dhilistan....

Kashmir was not an issue till 1970's.........neither Khalistan.......Pakistan political class will find something new ....to fule any bleed India activities.....soon we may have demand of Hyderabad risayat not being an integral part of India..and there will be a demand of azad Hyderabad @ heart of India......

Anything to bleed India..

Well lets be honest......Pakistan has ambitions in the South Asian politics and policies.....

After India, Pakistan holds the most clout in the region.....

Even if the Kashmir issue is solved, does not mean that India and Pak will be friends all of a sudden....

There will be issues like, India's dominance/bullying in the region
Pakistan's co-operation with China and allowing Gwadar
Trade routes, Octroi/transit fees to Central Asia.....
Water sharing....

Issues are a dime a dozen......we pick and choose our battles and priorities

Remember, our politicians benefit from war and war-mongering....unless we can get them out of the picture and make politics in South Asia clean....never can we expect peaceful co-exisitence.....

What exactly does the term Smooth sailing imply?

If it means War then = Yes, the journey after Kashmir settlement will be a smooth ride without a major war.

If it means No disputes = then No, there will still be many of those.

If it means a quasy Union of sorts = then No, that would be naive to think.

Well Guys... jUst came in the NEWS...... India made it clear to Pak. tht in Newyork there will be talks on Mumbai and after... no other topic...Pakistan's Former foreign Sec. Mr. Talat Masood termed this unfortunate...... Indian Members can watch this on CNBC TV18 in karan thapar's show.

Well Guys... jUst came in the NEWS...... India made it clear to Pak. tht in Newyork there will be talks on Mumbai and after... no other topic...Pakistan's Former foreign Sec. Mr. Talat Masood termed this unfortunate...... Indian Members can watch this on CNBC TV18 in karan thapar's show.

Please post that News here as well:

UN New York

Thanx :)

What exactly does the term Smooth sailing imply?

If it means War then = Yes, the journey after Kashmir settlement will be a smooth ride without a major war.

If it means No disputes = then No, there will still be many of those.

If it means a quasy Union of sorts = then No, that would be naive to think.

I agree with righteous_fire.

Pakistan and India cannot be like USA and CANADA... we have had wars, may take a century to behave like real friends

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom