What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Poonch was under dogra rule but they faced a lot of opposition time to time. Poonch occupation was not a piece of cake. The final rebellion was started in october 1947 and the major areas were liberated by handful ex british army officers.

Get your facts straight.

Poonch was under Dogra rule from much earlier; the ruling family was a distant branch of the family that ruled Jammu. The final rebellion as you describe it was a movement led by a communal breakaway from the National Conference that reverted to the old name of Muslim Conference. The major areas 'liberated' were nothing to do with Poonch; they were the portions of Gilgit leased by the British from the state of J&K, which reverted to the state on August 1, 1947. The mutiny, not rebellion, was led by Major Alexander Brown, who was naturally given the Hilal-e-Pakistan. The reference to "handful ex british army officers" (sic) that you refer to must be further amplified by your fertile imagination.
You are talking to a wrong man.

Undeniable. Couldn't possibly get more wrong.

First rebellion:
By Sudhan clan residents of poonch on behalf of Syed Ahmad Shaheed Brelvi.
Year: 1832

You might like to consult someone who is not an engineer - hint: look for the right man - to find out when Dogra rule started, and the rule of the Lahore Durbar ended.

Enemy loss
: More than 5000 sikh and hindu soldiers.
Our loss: 15000 including women, children and Sudhan Mujahideen.

Second Rebellion:
By Sardar Muzammil khan and Sardar Shams khan
Year 1856- 1888 Gurilla attacks on enemy camps.

Enemy Losses: Remarkable loss
Our Loss: 93 Included families of Mujahideen.

Truly a remarkable account. Also the first occurrence of gurilla warfare in south Asia.

Third Rebellion:
Sardar Bahadur Ali khan shaheed
Year: 1899 - 1932

What? No figures? No 540 families killed (no soldiers, or fighting men) against 54,000 Hindu and Sikh Soldiers killed on the other side?

Final Rebellion:
Year October 1947:
40,000 World War veterans/Ex British army officers and jawans under supervision of first Azad Kashmir president Sardar Ibrahim Khan. Formation of Azad Kashmir regiment.

Definitely the wrong man.

Ask your nearest expert - preferably not another wrong man - the difference between the British Army and the Indian Army. It is wonderful to read an account of 40,000 ex-British Army officers and jawans getting involved in a rebellion.

The truth of the matter is that this was nothing to do with Poonch, it was everything to do with Akbar Khan and his Pakistani-Army sponsored raiders - kabalis - largely demobbed veterans of the Indian Army.

But then, I'm talking to the wrong man.

Enemy Loss:
20,000 included area loss 13,297 bloody km².
Our Loss:
8,000 included women,children and Mujahideen.:big_boss:

If this weren't so embarrassing, it would have been hilariously funny.

Thank you, Mr. "wrong man", you made my Sunday.

Get your facts straight.

Poonch was under Dogra rule from much earlier; the ruling family was a distant branch of the family that ruled Jammu. The final rebellion as you describe it was a movement led by a communal breakaway from the National Conference that reverted to the old name of Muslim Conference. The major areas 'liberated' were nothing to do with Poonch; they were the portions of Gilgit leased by the British from the state of J&K, which reverted to the state on August 1, 1947. The mutiny, not rebellion, was led by Major Alexander Brown, who was naturally given the Hilal-e-Pakistan. The reference to "handful ex british army officers" (sic) that you refer to must be further amplified by your fertile imagination.

If this weren't so embarrassing, it would have been hilariously funny.

Thank you, Mr. "wrong man", you made my Sunday.
Haters Gonna hate.
A bitter truth. Go and enjoy your Dogra rule on another forum. :rofl:

For the Buffoon Brigade - enjoy (hope you can read it while lying on the floor)

Gulab Singh (1792–1857) was the founder of royal Dogra dynasty and first Maharaja of the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir, the second largest princely state in British India, which was created after the defeat of the Sikhs in the First Anglo-Sikh War. The Treaty of Amritsar, 1846, formalised the sale by the British to Gulab Singh for 7,500,000 Nanakshahee Rupees of all the lands in Kashmir that were ceded to them by the Sikhs by the Treaty of Lahore.

Have a look with a pain killer. :D
Interviews of Dogra war Mujahideen

You are getting better and better. No pain killers needed while you are around. Or any other shape.

@Joe Shearer
Kabaili Lahskars are summoned in late 1948 they came here to attack Srinagar and reinforcement to Azad Kashmir Regular forces now AK regiment.
Before their arrival many areas of Poonch,Mirpur, Rawalakot Kotli etc were liberated.

For the Buffoon Brigade - enjoy (hope you can read it while lying on the floor)

Gulab Singh (1792–1857) was the founder of royal Dogra dynasty and first Maharaja of the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir, the second largest princely state in British India, which was created after the defeat of the Sikhs in the First Anglo-Sikh War. The Treaty of Amritsar, 1846, formalised the sale by the British to Gulab Singh for 7,500,000 Nanakshahee Rupees of all the lands in Kashmir that were ceded to them by the Sikhs by the Treaty of Lahore.

You are getting better and better. No pain killers needed while you are around. Or any other shape.
1832 rebellion was directly associated with Shah Ismail Shaheed and Syed Ahmad Shaheed. You are trying to mix facts.
Shah Ismail Shaheed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amritsar treaty included only Jammu and Kashmir, not Poonch,Kishtwar, and GB. :hitwall:

Reactions: waz
@Joe Shearer
Kabaili Lahskars are summoned in late 1948 they came here to attack Srinagar and reinforcement to Azad Kashmir Regular forces now AK regiment.
Before their arrival many areas of Poonch,Mirpur, Rawalakot Kotli etc were liberated.

Thank you for your engineered history.

I don't know who has befuddled you, but this is the story as told by a somewhat more reliable Pakistani authority:

Indo-Pakistan War 1947-1948[edit]
At the time of the independence of Pakistan in 1947, Akbar Khan was a member of the sub-committee involved in division the armed forces between India and Pakistan.

Akbar Khan's own book Raiders in Kashmir (National Book Foundation, Pakistan, 1975) gives a thorough account of his role in the Pakistani attack on Hari Singh's Jammu and Kashmir. His principal role was in arranging guns and devising strategies for war and revolt by Sardar Ibrahim's branch of the Muslim Conference against Hari Singh with the help of the Pakistan Army. He makes clear he was ignorant of the Pashtun laskars that came to be organised by Khurshid Anwar that invaded on 22 October.

[So much for the engineered date of 1948. Looks like you got it one year wrong. Not bad by your standards.]

Less than two months after Independence, fighting started in Kashmir, the Indian Army landed in Srinagar and confronted the Pathan tribesmen who were advancing towards the valley. Akbar Khan, who was then a Brigadier, assumed command of the regulars and irregulars fighting against the Indian forces and was given the code name "General Tariq".

[1948? What a laugh! How come you aren't rolling about on the ground?]

@Joe Shearer

1832 rebellion was directly associated with Shah Ismail Shaheed and Syed Ahmad Shaheed. You are trying to mix facts.
Shah Ismail Shaheed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amritsar treaty included only Jammu and Kashmir, not Poonch,Kishtwar, and GB.
:hitwall:

I suggest you read the Amritsar Treaty and its wording, before gassing about.

Kishtwar and Gilgit-Baltistan were captured separately; Poonch was not.

Thank you for your engineered history.

I don't know who has befuddled you, but this is the story as told by a somewhat more reliable Pakistani authority:

Indo-Pakistan War 1947-1948[edit]
At the time of the independence of Pakistan in 1947, Akbar Khan was a member of the sub-committee involved in division the armed forces between India and Pakistan.

Akbar Khan's own book Raiders in Kashmir (National Book Foundation, Pakistan, 1975) gives a thorough account of his role in the Pakistani attack on Hari Singh's Jammu and Kashmir. His principal role was in arranging guns and devising strategies for war and revolt by Sardar Ibrahim's branch of the Muslim Conference against Hari Singh with the help of the Pakistan Army. He makes clear he was ignorant of the Pashtun laskars that came to be organised by Khurshid Anwar that invaded on 22 October.

[So much for the engineered date of 1948. Looks like you got it one year wrong. Not bad by your standards.]

Less than two months after Independence, fighting started in Kashmir, the Indian Army landed in Srinagar and confronted the Pathan tribesmen who were advancing towards the valley. Akbar Khan, who was then a Brigadier, assumed command of the regulars and irregulars fighting against the Indian forces and was given the code name "General Tariq".

[1948? What a laugh! How come you aren't rolling about on the ground?]

I suggest you read the Amritsar Treaty and its wording, before gassing about.

Kishtwar and Gilgit-Baltistan were captured separately; Poonch was not.
You are trying to share biased history. Let me clear Sudhan are Pathans and you are mixing them with mehsud and Afridis from FATA.
Before Amritsar treaty poonch was a princely state under command of malidyal Mughal Shams Khan.
Shams khan was poisoned from a traitor before final strike by Dogra military.

@Engineer
You are trying to share biased history. Let me clear Sudhan are Pathans and you are mixing them with mehsud and Afridis from FATA.
Before Amritsar treaty poonch was a princely state under command of malidyal Mughal Shams Khan.
Shams khan was poisoned from a traitor before final strike by Dogra military.

No, I don't share biased or any other kind of 'engineered' history.

Try to stop quoting from silly blogs and get real.

First, there is nothing that I wrote about the Sudans. I wrote about the imported qabalis from FATA, organised to raid Srinagar, and centred on the areas of Poonch that were under the control of the Muslims of Poonch.

Second, the Amritsar treaty included - watch the wording - all the parts of Kashmir ceded to the British by the Lahore Durbar in their own peace treaty.

Third, Poonch was a principality that was put under the Jammu durbar as a jagir in 1836 (after your date of 1832 for the so-called first rebellion that you have mentioned) by the Lahore Durbar. From 1836 onwards, Poonch was a subordinate state of Jammu, and then, from 1842, of Jammu & Kashmir.

Fourth, it was the Muslims of Poonch that revolted - against their own Raja as well as the suzerain Jammu Raja - in 1947. I don't know what you are doing messing around with the date of 1948.

Fifth, the qabalis marched on to Baramula on their way to Srinagar; the Poonch Muslims had little to do with it. Just mentioned this for the record, to show how stupid was the figure of real estate captured by the initial rebellion.

Sixth, this southern column had nothing to do with the northern events of the mutiny in Gilgit-Baltistan led by Major Brown (no other British) and the Gilgit Scouts with the state forces of Chitral. That northern column took Skardu and then Kargil and besieged Leh, and was thrown out by the Indian Army.

If you do not know your facts and your history, and want to wallow in a sentimental bath of imaginary events and mythical heroes, feel free. Just acknowledge that it is good for your mental stability to do so from time to time; don't pretend it is history.

I don't intend to waste any more time on you.

@Engineer

No, I don't share biased or any other kind of 'engineered' history.

Try to stop quoting from silly blogs and get real.

First, there is nothing that I wrote about the Sudans. I wrote about the imported qabalis from FATA, organised to raid Srinagar, and centred on the areas of Poonch that were under the control of the Muslims of Poonch.

Second, the Amritsar treaty included - watch the wording - all the parts of Kashmir ceded to the British by the Lahore Durbar in their own peace treaty.

Third, Poonch was a principality that was put under the Jammu durbar as a jagir in 1836 (after your date of 1832 for the so-called first rebellion that you have mentioned) by the Lahore Durbar. From 1836 onwards, Poonch was a subordinate state of Jammu, and then, from 1842, of Jammu & Kashmir.

Fourth, it was the Muslims of Poonch that revolted - against their own Raja as well as the suzerain Jammu Raja - in 1947. I don't know what you are doing messing around with the date of 1948.

Fifth, the qabalis marched on to Baramula on their way to Srinagar; the Poonch Muslims had little to do with it. Just mentioned this for the record, to show how stupid was the figure of real estate captured by the initial rebellion.

Sixth, this southern column had nothing to do with the northern events of the mutiny in Gilgit-Baltistan led by Major Brown (no other British) and the Gilgit Scouts with the state forces of Chitral. That northern column took Skardu and then Kargil and besieged Leh, and was thrown out by the Indian Army.

If you do not know your facts and your history, and want to wallow in a sentimental bath of imaginary events and mythical heroes, feel free. Just acknowledge that it is good for your mental stability to do so from time to time; don't pretend it is history.

I don't intend to waste any more time on you.
1. You said some one distributed rifles and ammunition to tribals came from FATA to invade Kashmir. Are you nuts it is a tradition of Tribes to hold best rifles of their time. They came here with their home made rifles to distribute them towards newly formed Azad Kashmir regiment (AKRF)
2. Amritsar treaty includes only Jammu and Kashmir i don't know why you are trying to merge princely state poonch under this treaty. May be your personal desire.
3. There is nothing like subordinate poonch. Poonch was under control of Mughal ruler Shams Khan from Malidiyal clan and after his death Dogra take over some areas of poonch.
4. Yes muslims of Poonch started rebellion under command of Sardar Ibrahim Khan, Col Khan Muhammad Khan, Major Hassan Jurral, Sardar Qayyum Khan Abbasi,CAptain Bostan khan, CAptain Hussain and they liberated major areas of Poonch without external Help.
5. Tribes came here as a reinforcement because they are very well equipped compared to Pakistan Army. Before their arrival Sardar Ibrahim With the help of fellow Kashmiris he launched ‘Jihad’ against the Maharaja and after a long and vigorous fight, he defeated the forces of Maharaja on 24 October 1947 and laid the foundation of independent state of Azad Kashmir. Sardar Muhammad Ibrahim Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Raja Muhammad Sarwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6. Major Hassan jurral was moved from rajouri to initiate rebellion against Dogras while he was fighting with Sardar Ibrahim to take over rajouri.
I recommend you to read book Khaki Shadows if you really want to know real facts and events. I hope you will enjoy remarkable defeat of your beloved Dogras.:haha:
A pain killer awaits you.
Bravo. 8-)
@waz @Shamain @fakhre mirpur @Kashir I hope it will be helpful for you on wards.

Last edited:
1. You said some one distributed rifles and ammunition to tribals came from FATA to invade Kashmir. Are you nuts it is a tradition of Tribes to hold best rifles of their time. They came here with their home made rifles to distribute them towards newly formed Azad Kashmir regiment (AKRF)
2. Amritsar treaty includes only Jammu and Kashmir i don't know why you are trying to merge princely state poonch under this treaty. May be your personal desire.
3. There is nothing like subordinate poonch. Poonch was under control of Mughal ruler Shams Khan from Malidiyal clan and after his death Dogra take over some areas of poonch.
4. Yes muslims of Poonch started rebellion under command of Sardar Ibrahim Khan, Col Khan Muhammad Khan, Major Hassan Jurral, Sardar Qayyum Khan Abbasi,CAptain Bostan khan, CAptain Hussain and they liberated major areas of Poonch without external Help.
5. Tribes came here as a reinforcement because they are very well equipped compared to Pakistan Army. Before their arrival Sardar Ibrahim With the help of fellow Kashmiris he launched ‘Jihad’ against the Maharaja and after a long and vigorous fight, he defeated the forces of Maharaja on 24 October 1947 and laid the foundation of independent state of Azad Kashmir. Sardar Muhammad Ibrahim Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Raja Muhammad Sarwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6. Major Hassan jurral was moved from rajouri to initiate rebellion against Dogras while he was fighting with Sardar Ibrahim to take over rajouri.
I recommend you to read book Khaki Shadows if you really want to know real facts and events. I hope you will enjoy remarkable defeat of your beloved Dogras.:haha:
A pain killer awaits you.
Bravo. 8-)
@waz @Shamain @fakhre mirpur @Kashir I hope it will be helpful for you on wards.
Willl u stop bothering with this stupid troll joe Sherear he can shove his version of history which is so clearly false and silly. Choro ghaas naa daalo fazool logon ko.
U can tag and ask waz he knows a lot abt it.

Pata nahi kahan say clowns ajatay hain uth kay.

Willl u stop bothering with this stupid troll joe Sherear he can shove his version of history which is so clearly false and silly. Choro ghaas naa daalo fazool logon ko.
U can tag and ask waz he knows a lot abt it.

Pata nahi kahan say clowns ajatay hain uth kay.
He was thinking him Think Tank. Pakistan army ne FATA tribals ko rifles di thein hahahahahah. that was epic.
Lo another veteran of war 1947 lt Col Mahmood 4 Ak regiment.
col mahmood 4 AK.png

As I have already made clear, I have no time to waste on this kind of parlour game. Good luck with your continued engineering of history. Perhaps some day, some one, somewhere will actually take you seriously. But not here, not now.

As I have already made clear, I have no time to waste on this kind of parlour game. Good luck with your continued engineering of history. Perhaps some day, some one, somewhere will actually take you seriously. But not here, not now.
First answer these questions then think about to murder me. :partay:

5. Tribes came here as a reinforcement because they are very well equipped compared to Pakistan Army. Before their arrival Sardar Ibrahim With the help of fellow Kashmiris he launched ‘Jihad’ against the Maharaja and after a long and vigorous fight, he defeated the forces of Maharaja on 24 October 1947 and laid the foundation of independent state of Azad Kashmir. Sardar Muhammad Ibrahim Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaRaja Muhammad Sarwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Source: Kashmir | News & Discussions. | Page 1486

First answer these questions then think about to murder me. :partay:

Murder you? Whatever for? Why would I waste time on a nonentity?

You may not be good at fighting, but you are very good at myth-making.

It's on record. From both American and Pakistani sources. Maybe they are nuts. But they are not your kind of sentimentalist, mooning over totally false information received as grandmother's tales, and believing them to be the truth.

The tribals were not using home-made rifles, they were using military issue weapons.

First read Bourke-White:

On occasions Bourke-White was able to slip out unescorted and meet tribal Pashtun invaders. She narrates her conversation with one Invader leader, Badsha Gul of Mohmand tribe. Gul had brought one thousand tribals, a convoy of trucks and ammunition for invasion of Kashmir. The trucks and buses would at times come back within a day or two "bursting with loot, only to return to Kashmir with more tribesmen, to repeat their indiscriminate "liberating" - and terrorising of Hindu, Sikh, and Muslim villagers alike".

About the buses and lorries Bourke-White writes "taxi companies (in Rawalpindi) were donating twenty or ten or a couple of trucks each, the number I suppose depending on the intensity with which the owner believed the Muslims in Kashmir needed 'rescuing'.

Bourke-White debunked the myths that arms for the invasion came from tribesmen themselves, some of whom owned arms factories. She writes, "I photographed one of the larger of these munition works, belonging to the Afridi tribe. It was a rock-bound shack where five men worked. Since it took one man a month to make a rifle, it is doubtful whether all the shacks on the North-West Frontier would account for more than a fraction of the equipment with which the tribesmen poured into Kashmir during the fall of '47. Certainly these miniature ballistics establishment would hardly explain the mortars, other heavy modern weapons, and the two aeroplanes with which the invaders were equipped".

In an eyewitness account about the delivery of arms she writes, "InPakistan towns close to the border, arms were handed out before daylight to tribesmen directly from the front steps of the Muslim League headquarters".

She makes revelations e.g. 'From Pakistan's Capital a train loaded with medical supplies and volunteer personnel left every Wednesday morning for the Kashmir frontier, "some of the 'Azad Kashmir' soldiers, taken as PoWs by the Indian army, were found to have pay books of the Pakistan Army in their pockets'.

While Bourke-White was still in Abottabad she had the opportunity to meet the nuns from St. Joseph Hospital in Baramulla who survived the carnage. They had escaped over the border at dawn. A nurse gave her a detailed description of how raiders ransacked the babies' ward on the Convent grounds. She said, "the tribesmen began smashing up X-Ray equipment, throwing medicine bottles to the ground, ripping the statuettes of saints out of the chapel, and shooting up the place generally. Two patients were killed: an Englishman and his wife who were vacationing at the mission were murdered; and two nuns were shot".

For nine days Baramulla witnessed reign of terror under the forces of occupation. About the situation in the Convent Bourke-White records, "The nuns, their hospital patients, and a few stray towns people who had taken refugee at the mission were herded into a single dormitory and kept under rifle guard. On one of these days, after an air attack from the Indian Army had left the tribesmen in a particularly escited and nervous mood, six of the nuns were brought out and lined upto be shot. It was the accident that one of them had a conspicuous gold tooth that saved the sisters. One of the riflemen wanted to get that tooth, before his colleagues had a chance at it. In the scuffle that followed, one of their chiefs arrived; he had enough vision to realise that shooting nuns was not the thing to do, even in an invasion, and the nuns were saved".

Bourke-White visited Baramulla soon after its liberation by Indian forces. She records, "The once lovely town, straddling the Jhelum River at the gateway to the Valley, was as heaped with rubble and blackened with fire as those battered Jewels of Italian towns through which many of us moved during our war in Italy...the deserted convent on the hill was badly defaced and littered...We made our way into the ravaged Chapel, Wading through the mass of torn hymnbooks and broken sacred statuary. The altar was deep in rubble". She also gives a graphic account of how martyr Maqbool Sherwani was killed by Pakistanis. Bourke-White met Sherwani's father and brothers. On seeing Sherwani's photograph Bourke-White notes, "Even the soft-focus effect of the fuzzy studio portrait could not erase the intensity of the eyes and the look of strength in the high forehead". (Sentinel Research Bureau)

Now read Akbar Khan.

Raiders' Evidence

Major General Mohammad Akbar Khan was in active service in the Pakistan Army in October 1947. He commanded the raiders under the pseudonym "General Tariq". Excerpts of his interview published in the "Defence Journal" (Karachi, June-July, 1985) are reproduced below:

Planning of the Invasion:
"A few weeks after partition, I was asked by Mian Iftikharuddin on behalf of Liaquat Ali Khan (Prime Minister of Pakistan) to prepare a plan for action in Kashmir.
I found that the Army was holding 4,000 rifles for the civil police. If these could be given to the locals an armed uprising in Kashmir could be organised at suitable places, I wrote a plan on this basis and gave it to Mian Iftikharuddin. I was called to a meeting with Liaquat Ali Khan at Lahore where the plan was adopted, responsibilities alloted and orders issued. Everything was to be kept secret from the Army. In September the 4,000 rifles were issued at various places and the first shots were exchanged with the Maharaja's troops and the movement gathered weight.

He (Khurshid Anwar) had joined the Muslim League and he had been appointed commander of the Muslim League National Guards. In September 1947, when the Prime Minister launched the movement of the Kashmir "struggle" Khurshid Anwar was appointed Commander of the Northern Sector. Khurshid Anwar then went to Peshawar and with the apparent help of Khan Qayyum Khan raised the Lashkar which assembled at Abbottabad... Thereafter he (Khan Qayyum Khan) continued to take active interest in Kashmir and helped with the tribal Lashkars through the Kashmir operations."

On Looting of Non-Muslims:

"It was part of their (Pakistan Govt.) agreement with Major Khurshid Anwar of the Muslim League National Guards who was their leader that they would loot non-Muslims. They had no other renumeration".

Have you even bothered to read the document? Read it. First, it did not include Jammu. Jammu already belonged to the Dogras. Second, it included all that part of Kashmir that had been ceded to the British by the Lahore Durbar. That included the Vale.

Are we supposed to believe that there was an independent kingdom right under the nose of the Sikhs? Really?

Poonch was under the Sikhs, and there was no independent ruler, as you seem to think. The rulers were Dogras related distantly to the Jammu Dogras. It was handed over to the Jammu Rajas as a jagir in 1836, losing its independent status in that year.

Of course they did. They were heroes and ten feet tall.

Read Akbar Khan before going public with your nonsense.

5. Tribes came here as a reinforcement because they are very well equipped compared to Pakistan Army.

Again, rubbish. You evidently live in a world of your own imagining.

Read both Akbar Khan and Margaret Bourke-White, and then read Tariq Ali. Apart from your folk tales, you have nothing to add.

Before their arrival Sardar Ibrahim With the help of fellow Kashmiris he launched ‘Jihad’ against the Maharaja and after a long and vigorous fight, he defeated the forces of Maharaja on 24 October 1947 and laid the foundation of independent state of Azad Kashmir. Sardar Muhammad Ibrahim Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaRaja Muhammad Sarwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And what is the point you are trying to make? That the Poonchis were alone? In spite of Akbar Khan's comments about the help that Pakistan gave the malcontents?

Again, what is the point of that statement?

Back
Top Bottom