What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
LeT attempt to sneak into city foiled; 3 militants killed

Srinagar: Police on Monday said that three militants and a policeman were killed in shoot-out at Qammerwari here.
“Gunmen appeared at Qammerwari Chowk this afternoon and opened fire on a police patrol. The fire was retaliated triggering a gunfight in which three militants and a policeman were killed,” a police spokesman said.
He identified the slain policeman as Muhammad Ashraf. Searches in the area were on when this report was filed, the spokesman added.
GreaterKashmir Daily English Newspaper from Kashmir Srinagar, Kashmiri, Kashmir news Kashmir Discussion Forum,Srinagar,Latest News from kashmir, Lastupdate:- Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:30:00 GMT

The Hindu : News / National : LeT attempt to sneak into city foiled; 3 militants killed

Thwarting an attempt by militants of Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba to enter Srinagar city, a brave constable of Jammu and Kashmir Police laid down his life but only after gunning down three ultras including a foreigner in outskirts of the city.

A brave police officer who sacrifice his life for nation .... Salute to this person and RIP

Last edited:
Justifying state terrorism

Farooq’s defence of POTA exposes the role and real character of NC​

[editorial-Kashmir Times-Nov 29, 2010]

NOT surprisingly the leaders of the National Conference, which is at the helm of affairs in Jammu and Kashmir in alliance with the Congress, are playing their old game of running with the hare and hunting with the hound. Such doublespeak ands double standards have been the hallmark of the NC ever since it returned to power in 1975 under the Indira-Sheikh Accord. It is particularly so after the throne was occupied by Farooq Abdullah following the death of his illustrious father in true dynastic style.

Farooq had not only mastered the art of speaking in different languages while in power and out of it but during power he had even acquired the art of blowing hot and cold in the same breath. On occasions he threatened to throw all his political detractors into the Jhelum while on other occasions he claimed to be a democrat par excellence who was willing to accommodate the voice of dissent.

The NC leaders talked of human rights abuses committed by the security forces after 1990 when the militancy started and after returning to power in 1996 the party chief and the chief minister threatened to use strong-arm methods to teach a lesson to the alienated people of Kashmir, whom he labeled as separatists and ant-national.

On occasions he pleaded for dialogue with Pakistan to resolve all outstanding disputes between the two neighbouring countries and when it suited him he again reverted back to Pakistan bashing. When out of power he invariably blamed New Delhi for failing to honour its commitments to the people of Kashmir or treating it in step-motherly manner. After joining the Union cabinet as minister for new and renewable energy, the NC chief is back to Pakistan bashing, blaming the neighbouring country for fostering terrorism and for all the trouble in the troubled Jammu and Kashmir.

For his years in opposition he considered India as a villain of piece and after returning to power he is back to the game of anti-Pak bellicosities and saber rattling. Worse, the NC chief while justifying the use of repression in Kashmir has been defending the draconian laws being enforced to deal with the situation. Speaking at a seminar in Kolkata, where he was in the company of BJP leader Arun Jaitley, on Saturday, the former chief minister not only advocated the draconian Prevention of Terrorist Activities Act (POTA) but also boastfully claimed that it was he who had enforced this draconian law in the State when he was in power. He said with a sense of pride that “ during my chief ministership, I implemented POTA going against my cabinet as it was the only option in fighting terror.

But during the elections, the Opposition brought this up against me. But they did not realize that I did it in the interest of the nation.” He, however, failed to add that during the 2008 elections to the State assembly his party made a categorical commitment to put an end to all human rights abuses and even review of draconian laws like the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).

Omar Abdullah, who took over the reins of office as head of the NC-Congress coalition after 2008 election appears to be following in many ways the policy of doublespeak and double-standards, perfected and adopted by his father. He first tried to use strong-arm methods to suppress the popular unrest against the grave human rights abuses committed by the security forces in Kashmir. Later he relented and categorically advocated the repeal of AFSPA and even removal of troops from the public places. He, however, changed his stance after opposition to the demand for repeal of AFSPA was voiced by different quarters in New Delhi, particularly the justification of this draconian Act by the army generals and suggested that it should be reviewed and amended or removed in a phased manner.

It is a different matter that so far he has not mustered enough courage to take steps for removing the Disturbed Areas Act from different districts of the State. Even his government has failed so far to put an end to human rights abuses like the arrests of innocent youth and political leaders, continued detention of a number of persons including children under the draconian Public Safety Act, curbs on the movements of the people and use of lethal weapons by the police to disperse demonstrators etc. Mercifully, Omar Abdullah still talks of the desirability of removing AFSPA from a few selected districts.

On the contrary, his father and party chief, Farooq Abdullah, is still not in favour of the revocation of AFSPA when admitting that “the laws like AFSPA had resulted in excesses in the Valley” he said in his Kolkata speech that he was not in favour of “withdrawing” this draconian law.

Kashmir Watch :: In-depth coverage on Kashmir conflict

awesome title keep it up

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Another BS thread

So now Iran and Pakistan should start a combined action against RAW who's mainly involved in suicide bombings and unrest in Pakistani Baluchistan.

منفعت ايک ہے اس قوم کي' نقصان بھي ايک
ايک ہي سب کا نبي' دين بھي' ايمان بھي ايک
حرم پاک بھي' اللہ بھي' قرآن بھي ايک
کچھ بڑي بات تھي ہوتے جو مسلمان بھي ايک
فرقہ بندي ہے کہيں اور کہيں ذاتيں ہيں
کيا زمانے ميں پنپنے کي يہي باتيں ہيں
کون ہے تارک آئين رسول مختار؟
مصلحت وقت کي ہے کس کے عمل کا معيار؟
کس کي آنکھوں ميں سمايا ہے شعار اغيار؟
ہوگئي کس کي نگہ طرز سلف سے بيزار؟
قلب ميں سوز نہيں' روح ميں احساس نہيں
کچھ بھي پيغام محمد کا تمھيں پاس نہيں

Srinagar, November 28

Beyond the death-count, over-five month long unrest in Kashmir has taken a serious toll on Valley’s budding talent, with scores of young boys, far from their homes, trying to make it big in various Indian companies.

However, Kashmir’s young talent is proving its mettle in Jammu and other places in India like Maharashtra, New Delhi and Bangalore. Some have landed in the Gulf as well out of brilliance. This is happening at a time when the trouble-ravaged Valley desperately needed these youngsters to serve it.

For 24-year-old Aijaz Ahmed Kachroo, it was a dream to be part of a company dealing with surgical items and having a base in Srinagar. He grew desperate in shaping his dream after his father died in January this year. As the summer set in, he struck a deal with four Gujarat-based companies.

“All the four companies were dealing with various kinds of surgical items. I was lucky to finalize the deal with all four, viz. Tiger, Jimit, Mediplus and Pricon Disposals. They issued an authority letter to me,” says Aijaz, having done Masters in Business Administration (MBA).
Aijaz got a contract to distribute surgical items in all three regions of Jammu and Kashmir. He came back, naturally, with a big smile on his face. “My mother had also pinned high hopes on me,” he says. “In May 2010, I registered my turnover between Rs 12-14 lakh.”
But things took an ugly turn after Kashmir unrest opned account with the first death of a teenager, Tufail Ahmed Matoo, on June 11. “Everything changed after his death. My sales dipped drastically and my turnover fell to a meagre Rs 1.7 lakh,” says Aijaz. He soon got a call from his company bosses. “Leave Kashmir, shift your base to Ladakh or Jammu,” a clear-cut diktat stared him in the face.
Left with no option, Aijaz moved from his home in July and set up office in Jammu. “It was really painful. I had thought to serve Kashmir and to supply items from Kashmir to Jammu and Ladakh. But fate had wished something else,” he sighs. He has stayed put in Jammu eversince.

Although the situation has seemingly improved in Kashmir, Aijaz is not sure whether to shift his base to Kashmir again.
Like Aijaz, there are many others having met a similar fate. Ramez Ahmed of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, which bore the brunt of unrest, had big plans for his hometown. He had invested a few lakhs to start a small business venture in his home district. “I was employing eight persons and paying them Rs 3000 apiece,” he says, adding he had never thought of moving out of Kashmir.
“I was forced to leave Kashmir as I was the main source of income for my family. I finally landed in a call centre namely JK Info-Tech in Jammu,” he says. Though Ramez gets a handsome salary but he is a typical example of those “who miss home a lot”, there being no fellow Kashmiri in his company. “I miss my family badly but cannot go back,” he sighs.

Similarly, Muneer Ahmed Rigoo (23) fled to Jammu August this year owing to the unrest in Valley. “When things deteriorated, I decided to move out,” he says. Rigoo had entered into a deal with Khyber Cements Ltd. After completing his graduation, he had made his mind to do something for his family. “I invested more than Rs 10 lakh and my clientele was improving with each passing day,” he reminds. "Presently I am in Jammu. I provide employment to 10 persons in my two shops.”

For Suhail Ahmed of Old City, Jammu was no choice after his computer shop remained closed for three months due to frequent curfews and strikes. “My parents permitted me to go to Delhi and with the help of my friend, I landed in a Business Process Outsource (BPO). My salary is Rs 30,000,” he says. “One of my close friends got a job in a call centre in Maharashtra as well.”

There are more who met the same fate as these youngsters. A good number of students have also left Kashmir to study in various Indian states. Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, while inaugurating Udyog Bhawan at Bemina in October, stated that 50,000 people had left Kashmir for new pastures outside owing to the unrest.

Is this a criterion for determining excellence, or for determining who has the right views on social issues?

In case you have not noticed, the bulk of IIT and IIM students have studied science in school, and technology in undergraduate studies, hence have no clue about historical issues.

Presumably by analogy, all others are the opposite, ie, left wing.

In which case, there is a decided balance in favour of the left wing in Indian politics. Particularly so in the state of Bihar, for instance, where caste-based and exclusivist politics has been put into the rubbish bin, and economics and development politics is obviously in favour. What do you think is going to happen to the RSS/BJP/Sangh Parivar brand of exclusionist politics in future?

You mentioned that this so-called right wing puts India first, and only attacks those that don't put the nation's interests first.

Don't you find that sentence of yours both naive and self-serving, at one and the same time?

Who, for instance, has given members of this alleged right-wing the authority to decide what is good and bad for Indian politics, and for the Indian state, or the people of India?

The answer, unfortunately, is that they, the Sangh Parivar, have appointed themselves to be the guardians of Indian thinking, understanding of history and sociology, current morals and behaviour in public, relations between religions and castes and between religions and tribes.

But who authorised them? And why do they persist in breaking the law of the land? We must question both the authority and the delegated powers under that authority to discover what it is that leads to such seditious behaviour on the part of the RSS - flagrantly disregarding the law of the land. The latest incident being the row at the entrance to the venue where the Mirwaiz was due to speak. It just was unpleasant; no points were raised, none were answered. If the entire meeting had gone on like that, it would have been a disaster.

Fortunately, actual, bona-fide participants, like the ex-Chief, managed the situation well after the thugs had been dragged away. When faced with facts and logic, the Mirwaiz drooped and faded.

The only legitimate authority that can be given by the people and the state of India is to those who are elected to be representatives, at state level or at national level. Period. Others can express an opinion on whether this, that or some policy is good or bad for the nation, but they do not hold a monopoly of wisdom. So not only they, but those who wish to oppose them are free to say what they please.

It is difficult not to point out that if the Sangh Parivar's point of view, developed entirely by themselves, and not adopted universally in the nation, is to be heard peacefully, so too should nuisances like Arundhati Roy enjoy their right to express their point of view.

As Voltaire is wrongly reputed to have said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

The Sangh Parivar has a long way to go to get to the standards of the 18th century.

you are so smart is it?

first of all the IIT,IIM thing was a reply to popeye about how RSS has a lot of educated people in its ranks.

Secondly,Engineering or Management is just a professional qualification,you dont need to study history to make opinions for yourself.It is evident and it is out there.Everyone studies history till secondary school(even though it is biased bullshit),knowing history doesn't mean u have to be an archaeologist to do that.

Someone has to take responsibility and have a vision on how to run the country,inflating the economy and showing growth targets helps in nothing.

RSS has no choice but to rubbish the parties left of centre because of their extreme inability to run the country well,i dont want to use logic and idealistic leftist ideas in the way a citizen doing his duty.

And who is breaking the law of the land?So confronting Mirwaiz Umar Farooq is a such a big deal for you.

Which Utopia do you live in man?That law that you speak of is not followed at all in reality.The law of the land is not exercised for any bloody crime.

Mass murderers,Public looters and corrupt people walk free making laws of the land,do you know how many inept chutes get driving licences to end up killing people on the road?

Which law are you talking about?seriously.

Have u walked into a government office anytime to get things done,if u do so u ll realize the little credibility that the govt has in our country.

But u happen to think Slapping Mirwaiz Umar Farooq is a big deal?

u r right,we should be slaughtering those terrorists who indulge in ethnic cleansing rather than just slapping him.

Elected representatives?That has to be the biggest joke on this planet.

If u happen to see some of these elected representatives,u ll want to jump off the nearest window rather than entrust ur life with these backboneless chutes.

It is one thing to have ideals but playing a violin when all is burning around you is plain fvckin stupid and u have the audacity to advertise that too.

everyone has the right to say things,nobody is saying otherwise.But if people like Arundhati Roy,i dont know with what dreams of a revolution is mouthing her *** off,she has to be shown her place,plainly ignoring is not enough.

yeah and regarding RSS,

Congress would slaughter Sikhs at will that is when they are not robbing the coffers off indian treasuries,Lefties would grab lands with a red flag and outdated ideals,they would fund their votebanks off with freebees from tax payer money but it is always the Sangh which is at fault.

Democracy my ***.

So now Iran and Pakistan should start a combined action against RAW who's mainly involved in suicide bombings and unrest in Pakistani Baluchistan.
ya then u go together & fight us & nato....then u supply them with atom baamb...then iran uses it against all arabs to take the revange against what they did by invading iran in 9th century...then they will attack isreal...if they dont shiver to death by the news that iran is gonna destroy them...finally after winning most of the countries in the world... zardari kills khumanie & becomes the supreme leader of the world...& the world finally lives happily under the rule of new supreme leader who owns 10% of the whole world :mod::mod:world:woot:

^^You cannot expect to engage anyone in dialogue with that kind of language, even though you may be angry and justifiably so.

I remember the fine lines in Mahabharat when Yudhishthir tells Nakul, that the day 'they' (kshatriayas) forget civility, the color of sunlight will fall black.

I believe civil communication is the most basic ingredient of any aspiring society.

LeT top man killed in encounter in J&K- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

The 21 Rashtriya Rifles killed two top Lashkar-e-Toiba's men at Rajwar forest near Handwara in Jammu & Kashmir. One of the killed militants has been identified as Abdul Rehman. Rehman was top commander who is responsible for infiltration activites, and a number of deadly attacks in the recent times.

Rehman is wanted in a number of deadly attacks on the army. His killing is being considered as on of the biggest setbacks to the Lashkar. He has been in operation since 2002-2003.

Back
Top Bottom