What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
He is not talking about Azaadi, and while talking about Human Rights violations, nothing but the maximum adherence to human rights is what should be argued. I mean c'mon, if not the maximum, how much human rights violations should we allow Indian Army? You tell me, what is the acceptable amount of human rights violations in India?
To answer your question, none. Even one death is unacceptable. But the problem is that these alleged human rights violations can't be seen in isolation. When seen in the right context, suddenly these alleged human rights violations, as unfortunate as they may be, look secondary to the larger issue, which is of course separatism. Coming from Mirwaiz, the complaints sound empty, given his maximalist posture.

Fair enough,
If only the RSS and other bodies can debate the issues. They don't have to fall to the level of SS and MNS goons who try these stunts every time in Bombay. :)
The Kolkata method of dealing with Mirwaiz is a more worthwhile one.

True --- I liked (loved) to see Mirwaiz dumbfounded and not able to answer the questions posed to him by the Kolkatans. :azn:

But one thing I can tell is in the majority of the places the reaction will be the Chandigarh type and justifiably so and only in the small no of places will the reaction be Calcutta-esque. :agree:

doesn't matter if it is in UN resolutions or not the thing which matters most is the fact "kashmir" is the word which brings a substantial amount of votes in pakistani politics means they will do anything to divert pakistani junta's attention either by going on international forum or using proxy war to get support. as long as strong sentiment about kashmir remains in the minds of pakistani people we will never achieve peace which is our ultimate goal ,not just taking out the "disputed matter" from some 50 year old list
we should be more concerned about solving this matter as soon as possible at least for our sake because maintaining status quo costing us money and give us a troubled state. actually we need another dictator in Pakistan who is like mushraff, who can take decisive step , go out of the box because a civilian government can not make a decision out of the box in fear of loosing vote bank.

Police to investigate Roy over Kashmir remarks
Police to investigate Roy over Kashmir remarks - Yahoo! News

NEW DELHI (Reuters) – An court ordered police on Saturday to investigate whether award-winning author Arundhati Roy could be tried for sedition over her comments about Kashmir.

In an appeal to a local court, Sushil Pandit, a private citizen, accused Roy of sedition for saying that Kashmir was not an integral part of India at a seminar in New Delhi last month.

"The court decided to instruct the police to register a proper (complaint), investigate the crime and report back by 6th of January," Pandit told reporters.

Roy, a fierce critic of India's policy in Kashmir, will be investigated alongside hardline Kashmiri leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani and five other people, according to the petitioner's lawyer and police.

"This is a ploy to distract attention from the real issue," Roy, winner of the 1997 Booker Prize for "The God of Small Things", told CNN-IBN television.

Police confirmed they had receiced a court order to investigate the case.

Speaking to Reuters in Kashmir's summer capital, Srinagar, Geelani said he was aware of the case.

"This is nothing new for me. There are already dozens of cases against me," he said.

The divided, mostly Muslim Himalayan region of Kashmir is at the heart of hostility between India and Pakistan and was the cause of two of their three wars.

Violent anti-government protests have swept Kashmir since June, killing more than 110 people.

Roy was just speaking of the truth and yet she is being investigated.

Hello...? Democracy and Freedom of Speech ...where are you ???

True --- I liked (loved) to see Mirwaiz dumbfounded and not able to answer the questions posed to him by the Kolkatans. :azn:

But one thing I can tell is in the majority of the places the reaction will be the Chandigarh type and justifiably so and only in the small no of places will the reaction be Calcutta-esque. :agree:

In that case, it will be a pity. Just takes a little "brain" to put these guys in their place rather than a lot of "brawn". And the beauty of it is that they (Mirwaiz and party) get nothing to complain about it. Works far better.

Think about it; i hope the sangh-parivar does.

In that case, it will be a pity. Just takes a little "brain" to put these guys in their place rather than a lot of "brawn". And the beauty of it is that they (Mirwaiz and party) get nothing to complain about it. Works far better.

Think about it; i hope the sangh-parivar does.

Cmon dude --- It cannot be disputed many of us think with our heart,rather with our brain if someone speakes ill about of India in our face.

Even if I was in that place along with a piece of my mind, I would have definitely given a piece of my fist .:D

^ someone needs to decide if it was truth or not.. They wont leave the certification to Pakistani members of defence.pk.. right ? :)

Roy was just speaking of the truth and yet she is being investigated.

Hello...? Democracy and Freedom of Speech ...where are you ???

How many thread you want to made with same news ?????

Please stop this nonsense. The UN DOES recognize Kashmir as an unresolved issue. I am posting numerous references from the UN website itself and I am closing the thread. You can buy the propaganda being circulated in the Indian press, but the rest of the world will not.

If Kashmir is no longer on the UN agenda, what is the UNMOGIP doing in Kashmir along the "LINE OF CONTROL" - NOT INTERNATIONAL BORDER. This is the 2010 document from UNMOGIP showing the deployment map. NOTE THE USE OF WORDS "LINE OF CONTROL". By definition the UN in its own documentation is acknowledging that the BORDER needs to be defined, i.e. the Kashmir issue is NOT resolved.

http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/dpko/unmogip.pdf

India has taken the position in the past also that UN mandate has "expired" and it has turned out to be absolute CRAP. Here is the documentary proof from the UN's own archive:

UNMOGIP Background - United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan

In July 1972, India and Pakistan signed an agreement defining a Line of Control in Kashmir which, with minor deviations, followed the same course as the ceasefire line established by the Karachi Agreement in 1949. India took the position that the mandate of UNMOGIP had lapsed, since it related specifically to the ceasefire line under the Karachi Agreement. Pakistan, however, did not accept this position.

Given the disagreement between the two parties over UNMOGIP's mandate and functions, the Secretary-General's position has been that UNMOGIP could be terminated only by a decision of the Security Council. In the absence of such an agreement, UNMOGIP has been maintained with the same arrangements as established following December 1971 ceasefire. The tasks of UNMOGIP have been to observe, to the extent possible, developments pertaining to the strict observance of the ceasefire of 17 December 1971 and to report thereon to the Secretary-General.

The military authorities of Pakistan have continued to lodge complaints with UNMOGIP about ceasefire violations. The military authorities of India have lodged no complaints since January 1972 and have restricted the activities of the UN observers on the Indian side of the Line of Control. They have, however, continued to provide accommodation, transport and other facilities to UNMOGIP.

As recently as 2006, the UNMOGIP announced its intent to CONTINUE acting as referee over the unresolved Line of Control in Kashmir:

Year in Review 2005

UNMOGIP will continue to carry out its mandate and support the efforts of both Governments to continue their dialogue and further the peace process.

Note above the use of the word "MANDATE". Now see the paragraph I have pasted above this in which India - as per UN official documents - has taken the position that the UNMOGIP mandate has lapsed. The UN has REJECTED this position and the Secretary General has clarified that this can only be done via Security Council resolution. UNTIL India gets a resolution in the Security Council, UNMOGIP mandate will REMAIN.

And here is the NAIL in the coffin of this nonsensical argument being run and rerun in the Indian press. WHAT IS THE UNMOGIP MANDATE? I have already established above via UN official documents that the mandate holds as per the UN and can only be undone via a Security Council resolution. So what IS the UNMOGIP mandate?

Here it is:

The first team of unarmed military observers, who eventually formed the nucleus of the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP), arrived in the mission area in January 1949 to supervise, in the State of Jammu and Kashmir, the ceasefire between India and Pakistan; and to assist the Military Adviser to the United Nations Commission for India and Pakistan (UNCIP), established in 1948 by Security Council resolutions 39 (1948) and 47 (1948) .

UNMOGIP Mandate - United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan

YES SIRS. The UNMOGIP mandate, which is being held by the UN to be valid in 2010, is BASED ON Resolutions 39 and 47. What are these resolutions?

Here is resolution 47: http://www.kashmiri-cc.ca/un/sc21apr48.htm

Recommends to the Governments of India and Pakistan the following measures as those which in the opinion of the Council and appropriate to bring about a cessation of the fighting and to create proper conditions for a free and impartial plebiscite to decide whether the State of Jammu and Kashmir is to accede to India or Pakistan.

SO my friends, Kashmir is very much a valid, current and real issue. I have only used OFFICIAL UN documents above, in which the latest is dated 2010. So now lets stop playing these bull$hit games based on crappy reports in the Indian press. Acknowledge that this is an international issue and a powder keg at that. Playing these games and claiming procedural loopholes to show that Kashmir is off the UN agenda is very childish, at best. How is the UN justifying UNMOGIP deployment - real expenses - on a dead issue? Whoever buys into these stories is being taken for a monumental ride.

Talk about the real issue, don't post nonsensical articles unsupported by reality.

Cmon dude --- It cannot be disputed many of us think with our heart,rather with our brain if someone speakes ill about of India in our face.

Even if I was in that place along with a piece of my mind, I would have definitely given a piece of my fist .:D

Then my counter-question to you--- What would you have achieved? Demonstrated that you are a strong guy? Anything else that you can think of.
e.g. that you are a thinking guy; an intelligent guy?
May be a piece of your mind can do far more than a piece of your fist.
Don't believe me--- ask Narayana Murthy or even Gen. Shankar Roy Chaudhury.

Rest is upto you.

Last edited:
Also, if there were ever any further doubts, here is the transcript of the official UN press conference from 16th November 2010. Here is the relevant question and answer:

Question: On this question of Kashmir, the clarification that you had issued yesterday about the misconception that the Indians are basically saying that the Kashmir situation was somehow deleted from the agenda of the Security Council. Now, in the clarification, you say that was always there and until 2007 something happened. What was it that you basically were referring to?

Acting Deputy Spokesperson: There was a bit of a mistaken impression by some press about this; where some people wrote articles thinking that something had been dropped from the Security Council agenda. The authors of these articles might have picked up the most recent addendum to the summary statement of matters on which the Security Council is seized. And that summary statement publishes only the list of matters which have been considered in a formal meeting since 1 January 2007. What they missed in that addendum was a paragraph explaining that the full list appears in Add.9 of March 2010. And that document has a list that continues to include all the agenda items, including Kashmir, which the Council has taken up. And so, by a decision of the Council, Kashmir remains on the list for this year. But, like I said, that list is referred to in a different document, which is to say Add.9 of March 2010, not the one that they were referring to from a couple of weeks back.

Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General

Ms Roy is good, but not good enough. When Mr Nehru had made those comments, Kashmir was still not constitutionally part of India. Kashmir became so on 26 January, 1957. Earlier, on 15 February, 1954, the constituent assembly of Jammu and Kashmir had vetted the accession of Kashmir with India. So Mr Nehru was not being seditious when he made those comments in 1952.

Really, Ms Roy is turning out to be a fine caricature.

Unless one questions whether constitutionally the Govt. of India and the elected Govt. of J&K could do that. Tomorrow if Raj Thackeray comes to power in Maharashtra and passes a motion declaring the independence of Maharashtra - would the Indian Govt. be like "sure - as elected reps you can do that." Kashmir was and is de facto part of India but was it and is it dejure part of India?

For the record, I firmly believe that airing and holding seditious views is the right of every citizen in a free country if he or she is dissatisfied with his or her government. On the other hand, acting upon those views would be constitutionally wrong and thus liable for prosecution.

Then my counter-question to you--- What would you have achieved? Demonstrated that you are a strong guy? Anything else that you can think of.
e.g. that you are a thinking guy; an intelligent guy?
May be a piece of your mind can do far more than a piece of your fist.
Don't believe me--- ask Narayana Murthy or even Gen. Shankar Roy Chaudhury.

Rest is upto you.

I am not out there to prove anything --- Just that I dont like someone bitching about my country after filling his tummy with the tax money an average Indian pays and that average Indian includes me as well. As simple as that.You can call me a fanatic/fundamentalist/fool or anything that satisfies you . But the fact is that I am a bit touchy when it comes to my country and I will not hesitate in showing it.

Last edited:
I think she is free to express her views. Also the sedition charge is more of a lower court initiative that GOI.

I think we have matured as a democracy, and should not be afraid if somebody is airing her personal views, no matter how wrong it seems to us.

Back
Top Bottom