What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Thanks for the info. :tup: Question, why then is it still a disputed territory today? Does it serve simply as a political bargaining chip?

Nehru claimed foreign lands that is hundreds miles away from the nearest Indian outpost, first on his map, then on the news paper. Perhaps he believed that the Grand Old Country behind the Himalaya dare not challenge the successor of the British Empire in the Sub-continent, so it took him another couple of years to decide sending out an explorer team to his dream land on his wet dream map.

When the team found there was already a highway, they behaved just like true indian heroes——jumped shouting 'enemy invade!enemy invade!' and run back home.

That's how Chinese white sand land becomes dispute.

Last edited:
In India too there shall be a major uproar. The opposition shall go for the Govts throat on this.

I don't think there will be much opposition from China if this were to be put forward.

China already controls Aksai chin and Shakgam valley, and don't claim any of the surrounding area. So turning the status quo into permanent borders, means that we can solve this boundary dispute... and we don't have to give up any land at all.

Here you go from the Nation...

UN’s real face | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

For those who still believe that the United Nations has not become the handmaiden of big and
influential Western powers, led by the US, would have problem justifying Kashmir’s omission
from the report of the Security Council containing the list of long-standing disputes on its agenda.
This grave lapse must be seen in the backdrop of the fact that since Obama opened his eyes in
the White House and was taken in by the outward glare of India’s potential, howsoever dicey it
might ultimately prove to be, to serve as the US surrogate in the region, he has become blind to
the reality of atrocities that the Indian security forces are committing day in and day out in the
occupied Valley. In the din of the propaganda of his team of the Indian origin advisors, he no
longer hears the cries of agony of the orphaned, the widowed, the raped or the tortured Kashmiri
people – the outcome of the brutal and illegal hold of India – that Candidate Obama felt could be
brought to an end through a just solution of the dispute in line with the aspirations of the people of
the state. With this policy change, the US President felt quite comfortable with extending his
country’s backing to India’s bid for a permanent seat at the UN Security Council whose Charter it
has massively violated.
The UNSC’s was a studied omission; and to call it an inadvertent lapse, as Pakistan’s acting

Permanent Representative at the UN did, is a travesty of fact, an inexcusably timid reaction from
a country directly concerned with the issue and the country to which the beleaguered Kashmiris
look up for support. The terming it as inadvertency simply amounts to ditching the Kashmiris, and
deserves to be condemned unreservedly. One reason for the UNSC’s turnaround is
Washington’s strategic decision to woo India at all costs in the vain expectation that New Delhi
would live up to its wishes of checkmating the spread of Beijing’s influence in the region. The
other is the reality of the economic benefit that the US would be able to draw from a strategic
partner in need of foreign goods and technology its corporate sector would be able to meet.
This and a host of other signs unmistakably suggest that the Americans have opted for India as a
strategic ally and, since Pakistan and India cannot go along together unless their disputes are
amicably settled that the US is unwilling to try for fear that it might lose India’s favours, dropping
Pakistan when it has served its purpose in the wrongly called war on terror. The pity is that
despite clear indications and warnings from friendly voices, our ruling leadership does not seem
to accept this reality. The sooner it realises that our salvation lies in changing the direction of our
hopes and expectations the lesser the damage the US flirtation with us could cause.

OK you can put it like that. To reiterate, China controls around 20% of the disputed territory in the Kashmir region. The disputed area under Chinese control is uninhabited.

CD, how many times do we have to tell you that China does not control any part of Kashmir?

In India too there shall be a major uproar. The opposition shall go for the Govts throat on this.

Thats why I said excluding the fanatics. :tup:
But I agree that is going to be an issue... when parties try to gain political mileage out of the issue. I was referring to honest personal opinions of the people in my comment.

The difference here is that those fanatics don't yet have the vote in China. The window for settling these disputes is closing. While China's government have settled most of its land disputes generously and against public opinion, as China democratizes, it will be more and more difficult to do in the future.

China can't wait forever and a democratic China will not mean a more sympathetic China.

CD, how many times do we have to tell you that China does not control any part of Kashmir?

OK I'll say Kashmir REGION.

And no you have never said this to me before.

The bottom line is that Aksai chin is a disputed area, because it is controlled by China and claimed by India.

Very much in line with recent comments from Obama and Ban KI Moon about UN and US having no role in the Kashmir issue till asked by both countries. I suspect a major financial incentive would have been provided to Pakistan in exchange, going by the slow and shallow reaction by Pakistan on this.

This may eventually get dubbed as a clerical error with an apology (Lots of them coming Pakistan's way these days). But indicates that this issue is now going past its shelf life in the international arena...

The bottom line is that Aksai chin is a disputed area, because it is controlled by China and claimed by India.

Yes and tomorrow China can claim Hartford Connecticut as Chinese territory but it doesn't mean the Americans will see it as disputed land.

The bottom line should be Aksai Chin has nothing to do with India.

If India claiming Aksai chin makes it a disputed land, what happens when they claim Tibet, or even claim the whole China?

我在中文贴里跟你说过这个问题,你可以自己去看看。

Back
Top Bottom