What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Mirwaiz, Gilani & Shah Placed Under House Arrest

In occupied Kashmir, the authorities placed the APHC Chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, veteran Kashmiri Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani and APHC senior leader Shabbir Ahmad Shah under house arrest.

According to Kashmir Media Service, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq told media men that a huge contingent of police and paramilitary CRPF troopers cordoned off his Nageen residence and informed him that he could not move out.

Meanwhile, authorities have also not lifted the siege of the house of Syed Ali Gilani, who was arrested after he came from New Delhi on October 24 after attending a seminar there and was put him under house arrest at his Hyderpora residence in Srinagar.

Pertinently, authorities have not allowed Mirwaiz to offer Juma prayers at historic Jamia Masjid for eight consecutive Fridays.

Mirwaiz, Gilani & shah placed under house arrest | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Indian attrocities are crossing limits and they need to be taken to the UN and OIC for fresh sanctions against India.

Indian attrocities are crossing limits and they need to be taken to the UN and OIC for fresh sanctions against India.

Press Conference by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at United Nations Headquarters

Question: The second part of the question has not been answered. There is a framework for a settlement of the Kashmir dispute, based on the UN resolutions, as my colleague has said. And in view of the current crisis between nuclear-armed Pakistan and India, and there are tensions, don’t you think it’s time for you to step in and offer good offices to settle this question?

Secretary-General: First of all, India and Pakistan, they are neighbouring countries, important nations in that region — peace and security would have important implications. As far as this role of good offices is concerned, the United Nations normally takes that initiative when requested by both parties concerned.

:tongue:

‘I am turning into a mental wreck’

The Internet, particularly social networking sites, is the only breathing space as continuous curfew and shutdown has turned Kashmir into a semi-jail for the last 55 days. Except rare adventurous attempts - dodging stones hurled by protesters, swinging batons of security forces and saving oneself
in the nick of time by negotiating sharp curves in alleys to avoid stone-laden hands - to reach office, I, like most of the Valley residents, am confined to my house. A stroll of 500 metres is all I can afford in the day. That too, only at dusk. Protesters and security forces too take some breather in the evening after a tiring day.

Branding and bragging about being a journalist with a Delhi-based newspaper in front of the security forces has hardly helped me getting a safe passage.

"New Delhi is responsible for the mess in Kashmir. Your follies. You tweak the Kashmir situation. I will not allow you to pass. Go write whatever you want to. Somebody's follies and batons have been handed in our hands," said an angry and nervous CRPF jawan once when I tried to reach office, only seven kilometre away from my locality.

My family, like others, is facing crisis at the domestic level with the visuals of gore, images of draped young bodies, angry fists and sounds of staccato gunfire showing no signs of waning away. The tea is without milk twice a day. Kahwa, a kind of tea without milk, is our afternoon drink now. No more extra cups of tea. There is already a cut on amount of rice being cooked. Risking life and defying curfew at times pays and one gets Kashmiri bread for breakfast. Otherwise try stored snacks.

Kitchen garden has proved a boon in the time of crisis. Traditional vegetables, those that grow on their own and are no more cooked in the modern-day kitchen, are back on the menu whether you like it or not. Options at the dinner table are shrinking each passing day. Cornflakes, eggs and white oats are already off the breakfast table.

It has been weeks since I have seen relatives, friends and those known faces at Srinagar's coffee shops. Same space, same faces are even shrinking sense of privacy. Nitpicking over small issues are on between my parents and is the best way to pass time. From overflowing tank to the amount of salt in dishes can create ruckus at times. In jail, even prisoners who are best friends do fight at times.

I can see myself turning into a mental wreck. But surfing the Internet for fourteen hours has kept my senses intact and of course the daily reportage.

With no class work and assignments, my cousins are directionless about their curriculum. Exams seem a distant dream now. Unrest has put a blind on them and they have not been able to focus on studies. News and counting toll of the day on the television is more important than discussing career options.

Besides losing the geometry of my mind, my kidneys, it seems, have swollen due to a erratic sleep regimen and working on the laptop. Puffy eyes and migraine are the order of the day, like most of my neighbours'.

The sound of protesters shouting slogans from the mosque speakers have crept into my dreams now. They resonate all night.

I want to see the sun shining at the Lal Chowk, Connaught Place of Srinagar, again.

?I am turning into a mental wreck? - Hindustan Times

I accidentally thanked your post, & I don't know how to undo that.

I just wanted to let you know that your username is indicative of the propaganda in the content in your post.

Friday Prayers in Kashmir's Grand Mosque After 9 Weeks

Srinagar, Nov 12: The Friday congregation prayers were held in the Kashmir Grand Mosque (Jamia Masjid) after nine weeks today.

The authorities had been imposing a curfew and restrictions in old city area of Nowhatta since September 10, thereby preventing people from offering Friday prayers in Jamia Masjid.

The continuous denial of Friday prayers in the Grand Mosque and the imposition of a curfew on Friday drew strong resentment from Islamic scholars and clerics in Kashmir. They had warned to issue a ''fatwa'' (edict) against the Kashmir government if it did not lift the restrictions today.

Fearing religious edit, the authorities did not impose a curfew or restrictions in old city and allowed people to offer Friday prayers in the Grand mosque after nine weeks. People in thousands offered Friday congregational prayers in the grand mosque and prayed for peace and prosperity of the region.

The last Friday prayers were offered at Jamia Masjid on September 10, a day ahead of the Eid-ul-Fitr festival (holy Muslim festival marking culmination of a month of fasting).

However, moderate Kashmiri leader and cleric Mirwaz Umar Farooq, who used to deliver Friday sermons in Kashmir's Grand mosque was placed under house arrest by the authorities. "He was not allowed to move out and visit the Grand Mosque to offer Friday prayers, his spokesman said.

Growing up we used to hear urban legend type Islamic tales that if you miss three consecutive Friday prayers you're out of the folds of Islam :P. Indians here imposed this ban for 9 weeks! It's like Indians have no clue about the local people they are trying to forcibly hold on to. Every Indian action is an act of extreme subjugation of Kashmiris and that's why Kashmiris are now never going to come back in Indian control.

How much you wanna bet the first chance they get to deliver a sermon, it would be about Azadi from New Delhi's illegal occupation! I'd be interested in hearing the waz at Eid-ul-Adha.

Look like Kashmir is on peace track

Slowly Kashmir coming out of gillanis trap recent failuar of protest is live example

Best of luck for Kashmiri peoples :cheers:

Look like Kashmir is on peace track

Slowly Kashmir coming out of gillanis trap recent failuar of protest is live example

Best of luck for Kashmiri peoples :cheers:
Haj and Eid approaches, it is traditionally a period of calm. The violence emanates from India's forceful occupation - Kashmiris have never been violent people. They strong and indomitable but not violent.

May Allah Bless Kashmiris - May kashmiris dont support those seperatist > May peace prevail

Haj and Eid approaches, it is traditionally a period of calm. The violence emanates from India's forceful occupation - Kashmiris have never been violent people. They strong and indomitable but not violent.

We know that kashmiri are peace loving people but some bad elements ( i think no need to mention) dnt want peace in J&K ..

Hope this is tight slap on their faces

We know that kashmiri are peace loving people but some bad elements ( i think no need to mention) dnt want peace in J&K ..

Hope this is tight slap on their faces
Tight slap on their faces? They didn't ban the Friday Prayers, the Indian government did it!

It would be self-defeating for Kashmiris to continue with hartals during Eid as it is a time of business. The thing to watch out for would be if the Indian government has the guts to allow normal Eid prayers as everyone would definitely raise a joint voice against Indian rule when congregated together.

Azadi Camp Hails Obama?s Dispute Word

Srinagar, Nov 08, KONS: Elated at President Barack Obama suffixing “Kashmir” with “dispute” the azadi camp in Kashmir on Monday said that this was the result of the 5-month-long agitation in the valley and the sacrifices of the people.

“President Obama has admitted at a press conference in Delhi that Kashmir is a dispute. Therefore, those harping on the atoot ang tune should recognise the disputed status of Jammu and Kashmir, and begin to think of giving the people of the state their right of self-determination,” the chairman of the Hurriyat (G), Syed Ali Geelani, said.

“The admission that President Obama has made on Indian soil is the fruit of our 5-month-long struggle and the blood of our youth,” he said.

The chairman of the Hurriyat (M), Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, too, welcomed the US president’s remarks, saying that his alliance had always been insisting that India and Pakistan should work together with Kashmiris to resolve the issue.

“We have always been asking the US to play a role in resolving Kashmir, and today President Obama too said that his country was ready to play a role,” he said.

“The US has declared Kashmir as a long-standing dispute between India and Pakistan, and this is a victory for the sacrifices of the masses,” the Mirwaiz said.

“The Kashmiri leadership and people are prepared to act as a bridge between India and Pakistan. Therefore, New Delhi too would have to adopt a positive approach,” he said.

The chairman of the JKLF, Muhammad Yasin Malik, also described President Obama’s remarks as positive.

“The US president’s statement that Kashmir is a long-standing dispute, and that its resolution held the key for lasting peace in South Asia, is the absolute truth,” he said.

“Out of respect of the wishes of the US and the rest of the world, the people of Jammu and Kashmir have effected a positive transition from violence to non violence, and the international community must now take strong and positive steps to the resolve the Kashmir issue on a priority basis,” he said.

The Jama’st-e-Islami chief, Sheikh Muhammad Hassan, said that President Obama had admitted the reality on Kashmir, and that India should now take the initiative on resolving Kashmir without any pre-conditions.

I personally think Obama's words were not enough and he needs to "do more". At least he didn't leave India calling Kashmir "an integral part of India". The game is still on, it shows the Americans are still not in the position where they will accept total Indian point of view readily. I really think the American president should entertain Mirwaiz, Geelani and even Yaseen Malik and really get a first hand account of what Kashmiris think about the issue. His statement "Kashmir is a long standing dispute between Indian and Pakistan" Should have been Kashmir Dispute has been a suffering for the people of Kashmir.

World leaders need to forget about India and Pakistan and think about Kashmiris.

Back
Top Bottom