What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
That's completely speculative, and the plebiscite is to show the sentiments of Kashmiris, not Kashmiris from 1948-49, I fail to see where you derive that particular interpretation from. The Kashmir dispute has not ceased to be a dispute since then, and the principle behind resolving the dispute remains the same - allow the Kashmiris to decide.

And only a handful of locals needed to *** out the infiltrators, that too is not indicative of whether most Kashmiris would have chosen Pakistan or not.

KAGK was tremendously popular in NWFP, and he was pro-becoming a part of the Indian Union, yet despite his boycott, over 50% of the electorate showed up at the polls, and 95-98% voted for Pakistan.

Hi Agnostic Muslim

Apologies to jump into your very informative conversation with Ejaz..However could not help as i like other's have very strong views on this subject...

why plebiscite was not held??

Well not going into who did wrong blah blah...One of the conditions was Pak will remove its army from ***(in your words Azad Kashmir) and it never happened...I am sure you would also question India's intentions and actions. So lets say that both parties are responsible for it...

Does it make sense now

The bigger question is does it make sense to have plebiscite now?? What about the people who dont want to remain with India or Pak or for that matter no-one??? what about kashmiri Pandits who have been forced out of Kashmir for decades???

To me it honestly make no sense......It would have made sense then(1947) but now its almost the third generation out and for them what matters most is economic progress in their beautiful but violence prone valley...

Now few more questions.....

Why kashmiri's have the right to choose what country they should stay with and not other states like Balochistan, India's Punjab??? Don't get me wrong here...but on larger front i would like to know why India and Pakistani's are that much interested in Kashmiri's will...Isn't Kashmir issue more of an ego-clash between India and pakistan???? To me its all politics...Unfortunately a little more in yours country than in mine...

I being a sikh have remorse of loosing Nankana saheb during partition. However unfortunate but that's the reality...I cannot and should not ignore it...Same is true with kashmir...

- It was a princely state..and as per my knowledge princely states had the right to choose what country they want to join irrespective of their majority population
- Pakistan forced Kashmir ruler to join Pakistan but he choosed india
- Pakistan and India fought a war and after which Nehru went into UNO promised plebiscite
- one of the condition was Pak will move out its army from *** which never heppened
- Plebiscite as promised by India never happened
_ India pak fought 3 more wars and both sides did not move an inch from where they were...
- Unfortunately given a choice would not hesitate to have another go at each other...

For what??? Plebiscite??? No way my friend..It can't be anything than mere ego...Anyways it do not matter why it did not happen...the fact is it will not happen...Neither Pak will move its forces from *** neither india will go for plebiscite...In today's context it means nothing...It better to convert the LOC to a border with more autonomy to Kashmir...and stop the madness...

Pity we can easily convert this centuary to South Asian centuay but we are stuck in a 62 year old conflict of plebiscite...

The only thing is the police got a "tipoff". Nothing wrong in questioning but there was no need to hype it up. Looks like some losers who could'nt make it into the team probably called up the police and did a hoax call. Anyways, good to know that a speedy investigation was done and the boys can go back to playing cricket

yep back to playing cricket after been insulted by the occupiers but what else can you expect??

Good keep doing that, serves the Kashmiri cause.:)

Two Kashmiri cricketers of Jammu and Kashmir’s Under-22 team Parvez Rasool and Mehraj-ud-Din, were picked up from their room in Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore Saturday after traces of explosives were found in their bags. They were detained, questioned and later set free.

Sure why not? Thank God that those kids were not POTAfied or their bodies were not found an a street ...

Ejaz,

Do you worry about POTA when you go to India?

I mean, imagine if you travel to India and get into a fight with some Hindu guy who call the police and say you are terrorist.

PM Singh woke up and since there was nothing much to do that day so he asked his staff to raise this NON-ISSUE.

yaar kuch aur nahi mila?

And how did Pakistan occupy the part of Kashmir it does today, way back in 1947? Peacefully ..... winning the hearts and minds of the Kashmiris? Its easy to point fingers, conveniently shutting your eyes to those pointing back at you.

Well I and many other Pakistanis strongly and rightly believe that it what Pakistan did than was right and justified. According to the partition scheme the states would decide their unificiation either with Pakistan or India because of the will of population and geographical placement.

All know the percentage of Muslim population there in Kashmir was more than sufficient to vote for Pakistan but the Hindu raja denied the majority's will and voted for India. Now Indian govt. in hustle ordered Army to move in so quickly that they even were taken to Srinagar through air and not through land. What was the reason? Was India expecting any resistance?

Yes indeed it was known to the Dogra raja that Kashmiris will get up and fight back for their right and Indian forces are required to "soft" them down.

Pakistan entered Kashmir for one condition of Partition Scheme; the will of majority; was not fulfilled and hence it was justified.

You said pointing fingers to others is easy, why don't you turn it to yourself when you took Hyderabad and Jonagarh by force? Why didnt you let Hyderabad a free state?

KIT Over:pakistan:

POTA has been repealed, it is no longer in existence. Thats the power of democracy.

I admit that we need police reforms, its the poor that includes Hindus Muslims and other poor who are most exploited. Thanks to terrorists its a recent phenomenon that muslims have been targeted, but as police reforms are put in and get more professional it will improve. The rich wether muslim or hindu can usually wiggle their way out through bribes or ministerial connections which is unfortunate.

The same is the situation in Pakistan. Arn't there thousands who were just disappeared by intelligence agencies. Isn't the kidnapping of people by intelleigence agencies that is one of the drivers for TTP. Just check out their propaganda videos after the Lal Masjid debacle that gave birth to TTP.

I just saw in the news that Hizb-ut-Tahrir activists were arrested, although they are provocative, they have never indulged in terrorism and it looks like Pakistani police is over-reacting. Now you have Rehman Malik's volunteer student spying corps. Isn't that as bad if not worse?

well said Ejaz - It is the poor who suffer in India. Poor Muslims and Hindus. Muslims are more vulnerable sometimes due to the non professionalism of the police force.

It's better to be safe than sorry sometimes. And there are plenty of checks in the Indian system to protect the innocent. The media has done a good job in highlighting the injustice to Muslims and the barbaric nature of Hindu fundamentalist outfits.

Still more needs to be done. Gujarat shocked all Indians but the action taken to redress the wrongs has not been adequate. Unfortunately the average Indian does not fight for his rights. Be it Mumbai attacks, Bombs in Delhi or Gujarat riots - there is no justice for the victims cause the people and politicians don't care.

The match between Victoria and Cape Cobras on Saturday got off to a delayed start after police detained an Under-22 cricketer from Jammu and Kashmir staying at the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) complex in the Chinnaswamy Stadium in connection with a suspected presence of explosives at the venue. He was released after questioning and, after the police gave the green signal,

Ehsan Mirza, a senior official at Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association, however, said they had been assured by KSCA secretary Brijesh Patel there was nothing untoward but they were not happy with the incident. "Our Under-22 team reached Bangalore on Friday evening from Bhubaneswar," Mirza told Cricinfo.

"Today morning some people - I'm not sure whether Karnataka police or any other security agency - came to the KSCA and carried out interrogations and picked two of our boys, Pervez Rasool and Mehrajudin (both from Kashmir). We spoke to Brijesh Patel and he assured us there was nothing untoward. But we are not happy with the incident. This is the height of indecency, the way our boys have been treated, and we are speaking to our president Farooq Abdullah to get the team back."

An official from the Jammu and Kashmir U-22 team said they were "shocked". "We are going to Mumbai soon. But now this has happened. All the boys are shocked. We are just waiting for further orders."

Match delayed after security alert | Cricket News | Champions League Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

One of the many reasons why Kashmiris don't want to be any part of India!!!

Hey a classic case of providing judgement without getting his/her facts right.

read the articles below your post, you will get clear picture. And any how i don't think all of kashmiri's are angels just like any other place. they too have criminals, and we can't keep our hands tied to our back, and let off criminals, just because it is a DISPUTED territory according to you. And in this case he was released without charge becoz of lack of evidence. Don't you think that explains the strength of the system in india.

Ejaz,

Do you worry about POTA when you go to India?

I mean, imagine if you travel to India and get into a fight with some Hindu guy who call the police and say you are terrorist.

The Kashmiri's bag contained traces of explosives - there was a definite evidence of wrongdoing. I see Kashmiris working all over India from Kerala to Delhi - they face no problems in India. Why don't you come to India and see for yourself.
To the author of these comments. For your information POTA has been repealed in India. Anti terror laws are present in most Western countries too. And many of them are stricter than erstwhile POTA.

Encounters are one thing that Indian citizens worry about - once the matter reaches court it is difficult for any prejudice or bias as courts in India are very fair.
Recent investigations into encounters by media and NGOs has made the police and forces very cautious about such things. The powerful will always try to suppress the weak in every country - luckily India has a powerful middle class which wants peace and does'nt support right wing extremists.
Wonder if Pakistan's liberal people will stand up.

China projects Kashmir as a separate country

Besides issuing separate visas to Indian passport holders from Jammu and Kashmir, China is also projecting the disputed territory as an independent country in other ways.

Visitors to Tibet, especially journalists invited by the Chinese government, are given handouts where Kashmir is indicated as a country separate from India.

Media kits providing "basic information" about Tibet - which China attacked and annexed in the 1950s - says Tibet "borders with India, Nepal, Myanmar and Kashmir area".

Except the "Kashmir area", the other three are sovereign countries.

Maps too, available in China, Myanmar and Nepal, show an India denuded of Kashmir.

Also, China's policy of extending assistance to only the government of a country indicates it considers India's nuclear rival and neighbour Pakistan to be in control of Pakistan-administered Kashmir by offering financial assistance to build a dam on the Indus river there.

China, now locked in a row with India, is also asking for the tightening of the open border between India and Nepal that, it says, is abetting anti-China activities and demonstrations by Tibetans crossing into Nepal from India.

Beijing is also indirectly asking for the closure of the seat of the Dalai Lama, the exiled leader of the Tibetans, in Dharamshala in India, hinting that such a step would improve India-China relations.

China, which fought a war with India in 1962, says Arunachal Pradesh belongs to it. India says it is an integral and inalienable part of India.

On the eve of the Dalai Lama's visit to Arunachal Pradesh in November, China has been hurrying Nepal to deploy armed security forces along the border between northern Nepal and Tibet.

Both Nepal's Home Minister Bhim Rawal and Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal recently visited Mustang, the northernmost district in Nepal to assess the security plan.

Mustang was once both part of an ancient Tibetan kingdom and later the base of anti-China guerrilla attacks by Tibet's Khampa warriors.

Time to Change the maps in India as well then in responce to Chinese rhetoric about Indian territories.

Start publishing Tibet and xinxiang as totally separate countries.Lets start educating our kids and neighbors along with old citizens.

If China wants a war ,there will be no backing up this time.Lets finish the crap for once and all.And see how many Chinese can kill how many Indians and Vice versa.

Time to Change the maps in India as well then in responce to Chinese rhetoric about Indian territories.

Start publishing Tibet and xinxiang as totally separate countries.Lets start educating our kids and neighbors along with old citizens.

If China wants a war ,there will be no backing up this time.Lets finish the crap for once and all.And see how many Chinese can kill how many Indians and Vice versa.

:flame:Mode on:

Precisely. Do the world a favour: just as the German empire went after the British Empire to end both to make way for Pax Sovietica and Americana. Someone has to sacrifice for the good of the collective.

Perhaps it's time for the two most populous countries to commit "honourable" "hari kari" to save us from certain doom.

At least one member of the "overseas" brigade (unfortunately not me - not enough "fortitude") wants that badly!

Go after the big one - yes, make it spectacular. Let's see Xinjiang, Tibet, Manchuria, Khalistan, Begal Homeland, Nagaland, Tamil/Dravidian Homeland, and Bharat's Hindustan Holy Land all on the map.

It's the destiny! Brahmatical "Natal and Astrology Charts" say this much. There is no escape. All need to fulfill destiny.

:toast_sign: Democracy in China! And :toast_sign: the Liberation of the prison of nations called Bharat!

Nations live once, Glory lives forever.

Rockets Zindabad, War heads Zindabad, Bharatavarsha Zindabad.

Soon I am sure the War Professor will chime in and concur.

:flame:Mode off.

Satu yaar, you should say that India will not be humiliated this time.

:rofl:

Thanks to terrorists its a recent phenomenon that muslims have been targeted, but as police reforms are put in and get more professional it will improve.

So how many Hindus have been exploited because of Modi??

Shiv Sena activists entered Dilip Kumar's house and threatened him and his wife, so there is your rich Muslim theory.

Saif Ali Khan, Shaban Azmi and Javed Akhter can't get a house in Mumbai - here is another example.

The same is the situation in Pakistan. Arn't there thousands who were just disappeared by intelligence agencies. Isn't the kidnapping of people by intelleigence agencies that is one of the drivers for TTP. Just check out their propaganda videos after the Lal Masjid debacle that gave birth to TTP.

I just saw in the news that Hizb-ut-Tahrir activists were arrested, although they are provocative, they have never indulged in terrorism and it looks like Pakistani police is over-reacting. Now you have Rehman Malik's volunteer student spying corps. Isn't that as bad if not worse?

People were kidnapped and deported but not in thousands. Most of the missing actually went missing to create trouble for Gen.
Musharraf.

So do you worry when you go to India?

All the action is not limited to one ethnicity or religion either unlike India where all action is against Muslims and Kashmiris.

Back
Top Bottom