What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Kashmir girl overpowers militants
By Binoo Joshi
BBC News, Jammu

A teenage girl says she killed a militant with his own gun after insurgents attacked their home in Indian-administered Kashmir.

Three militants stormed into Rukhsana Kauser's home in a remote village in Jammu region on Monday and started beating her parents in front of her.

Ms Kauser, 18, and her brother turned on the gunmen, killing one and injuring two more. Police praised their courage.

One of the militants wanted to marry Ms Kauser against her will, police said.

The militants escaped and are now being sought by police who are using their blood trails as clues.

'Fired endlessly'

The insurgents went to the house looking for Ms Kauser but her father, Noor Hussain, resisted their demands, Rajouri district senior police superintendent Shafqat Watali told the BBC

Three gunmen then entered the house and attacked Ms Kauser's parents, while four other militants remained outside.

"My parents told me to hide under the bed and then opened the door," Ms Kauser told the BBC.

"Without saying anything they [the militants] started beating my parents and my uncle. They beat them so badly that my parents fell on the ground. I could not see that and pounced on one of the militants while my brother hit him with an axe," she said.

"I thought I should try the bold act of encountering militants before dying."

Ms Kauser said she grabbed one of the militants by the hair and banged his head against the wall. When he fell down she hit him with an axe, before snatching his rifle.

"I fired endlessly. The militant commander got 12 shots on his body."

Her brother, Eijaz, 19, grabbed one of the other militants' guns and also began shooting.

Ms Kauser said the exchanges of gunfire with the militants had gone on for four hours.

"I had never touched a rifle before this, let alone fired one. But I had seen heroes firing in films on TV and I tried the same way. Somehow I gathered courage - I fired and fought till dead tired."

'Bravery'

Police identified the militant commander as Abu Osama, who they say was a member of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba group and had been active in the Rajouri area for the past five years.

Local residents told police that he wanted to marry Ms Kauser - and was prepared to do so forcibly.

Rajouri police superintendent Shajqat Watali praised what he said was the "exemplary bravery" of Ms Kauser and her brother.

"The reaction by these teenagers was extraordinary."

There are now fears the family could face retaliatory attacks, so they have been given police protection.

But Ms Kauser wants more: "We cannot live here in this village. They should relocate us to a safer place in Rajouri town or elsewhere. The militants are not going to leave us after this embarrassment in which a top commander was killed.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Kashmir girl overpowers militants

Another twist, apparently the younger sister wasn't raped. I hope the perpetrators will be bought to justice asap whoever they may be.

One Shopian victim was virgin, reveals autopsy

In a new twist to the Shopian alleged rape and murder case, forensic scientists have found that one of the two victims was a virgin.

Forensic scientists from AIIMS, who accompanied the CBI team, have found during autopsy of the exhumed bodies that the hymen of 17-year-old Aasiya Jan was intact, thereby ruling out the possibility of rape, official sources said on Tuesday.

The forensic experts have shown the intact hymen to doctors of Mushawarat Majlis-e-Committee, an amalgam which spearheaded the 47-day agitation against the alleged rape and murder of the two women by security personnel, who were present at the site, they said.

A special CBI forensic team on Monday collected samples from the bodies of the two women after exhuming them nearly four months after the incident.

The team, comprising senior AIIMS doctors, collected a number of samples from the bodies in a process that started at 7 AM and continued for nine hours. They conducted the autopsy after obtaining necessary approval of the family of the victims – 22-year-old Neelofar and her sister-in-law Aasiya.

rape cases are common worldwide.....i remember in austria this case when father Josef Fritzl holding his daughter....Elisabeth Fritzl....and raped her for 24 years...........kasmir girls case i read is so common....it happens.....even....... bill clinton....couldn't resist monica lewensky.....that too in presidential office.......these are social evils....society has to be taught ....against such crimes...

Brave Rukhsana becomes a star for killing LeT terrorist
Tue, Sep 29 07:14 PM

Shahdhara Sharief (Rajouri), Sep 29 (IANS) Her immensely brave act has turned young Rukhsana Kausar into a heroine and people now see her as a fighter against the 'zulm' or atrocities of militants. She had taken on a group of Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists who barged into her house late Sunday night, snatched an AK-47 from one intruder and shot him dead.

Rukhsana is full of smiles at her house in Upper Kalsi in Shahdhara Sharief of Rajouri district, as she is besieged by television reporters asking her how she did it.

Posing with the AK-47 that she grabbed from the militants, she recounts for the umpteenth time how she shot dead LeT terrorist Abu Osama in her house up in the hills, while the locals cheer her.

The girl, in her late teens, fought militants and saved her family, especially her parents.

When the terrorists barged into her house late Sunday night, Rukhsana might have been provoked by the terror unleashed by the ultras on her parents - Noor Hussain and Rashida, and by a premonition that her own dignity was in danger. But what she did was an act of supreme bravery.

'One thing is for sure that the girl exhibited rare bravery, and she deserves all praise for it,' Superintendent of Police, Rajouri, Shafkat Watali told IANS. 'This is a clear manifestation that the people are willing to fight back militants. They are sick of the atrocities of militants.'

Rukhsana is aware that the new spotlight has come on her after she shot the militant with his own gun.

'I knew that they were up to something, and saw them trying to do something terribly wrong with my daddy,' Rukhsana said, brimming with anger. 'I snatched the gun by pulling his hair and then opened fire on him.'

This act of the girl is being termed as a fight against 'zulm' by the locals - who feel this would begin a new chapter in the anti-militancy feelings of the people.

'Now, we feel that militants are not invincible. They can be overpowered and killed,' said Showkat Hussain, a villager who had come to see Rukhsana from Darhal, about 30 km from here.

The villagers, some of whom have dish antenna fixed on their houses, have seen Rukhsana on their TV sets. Many others came to see the new brave girl of the area.

'She is another Sher bibi,' say people, referring to a legendary Gujjar woman who used to venture into the jungles in Banihal area, where lions used to roam many decades ago.

After Rukhsana shot dead one terrorist, the other ultras ran away, including one who was injured.

The family members handed over to the police two AK-47 rifles which they had snatched from the terrorists.

Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra has lauded the exemplary courage and bravery of the fearless young girl.

'The governor has asked for a formal report from the Director General of Police so that he can recommend the young girl for a gallantry award,' an official release said.

'The governor also intends to invite this brave girl to the Raj Bhavan to honour her,' the statement said.

Indo Asian News Service

Anything that happens in Kashmir is by default blamed on armed forces, and this is not followed by any evidence. There are people with anti India prejudice that will fan such news. I do not think GOI has given orders to rape people and there can be some stray incidences. Looking at how events unfolded in J&K it seems that some people were paid to create stir and raise anti India slogan. It seems they are waiting for next installment to reach them. If the news the one of the victim was virgin is true, then it might mean someone actually killed them and blamed it on armed forces.

‘China violated territorial integrity by keeping parts of J-K under it’September 29th, 2009 SindhToday

New Delhi, Sep 29 (ANI): Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin, who heads the United Jehad Council (UJC), an alliance of Kashmiri militant groups, has said that gifting 43,180 sq km land belonging to Jammu and Kashmir to China in 1963 by Pakistan is a violation of territorial integrity.

“Yes, it is the violation of territorial integrity of Jammu and Kashmir. We are against it,” said Salahuddin in an exclusive interview to Power Politics.

The Hizbul Mujahideen chief, who has been living in Pakistan since 1995, also said categorically that Gilgit- Baltistan is an integral part of Jammu and Kashmir State.

India had protested against Islamabad’s recent ‘Gilgit-Baltistan Empowerment and Self Governance Order –2009’. New Delhi claims the entire Jammu and Kashmir region is an integral part of India by virtue of accession in 1947.

“I think the current Pakistan package designed for the people of Gilgit- Baltistan (G B) has not brought good reflection. If Pakistan had given them a setup like Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (***), it would have been welcomed. But the Governor (under new package) of G B will be appointed by Pakistan and it amounts to provincial status, which tells upon the territorial integrity of Jammu and Kashmir State,” Salahuddin said.

“It is not acceptable to any citizen of Jammu and Kashmir. The Jammu and Kashmir leadership here and across the border has reacted sharply. Pakistan must clarify that it is merely a package of delegation of administrative powers for the said region and it has no impact in any case on the status of Jammu and Kashmir and its territorial integrity. So it has created confusion and ambiguity among the people,” he added.

Commenting on Pakistan’s game plan behind this package, Salahuddin said this package has brought much confusion and contradictions and has created a lot of misapprehension about the sincerity and seriousness of the Government of Pakistan.

“We have repeatedly said that the Government of Pakistan must be crystal clear about this package and it should be confided only to the delegation of administrative powers to the people of the said area. There should be no attempt to encroach on the territorial integrity of Jammu and Kashmir. Gilgit Baltistan is an integral part of Jammu and Kashmir,” he said. (ANI)

[NF] Other Link

CBI has done excelent job by involving local bodies....including Agitating parties...locally appointed doctors...and even people from religious organizations.....this would not only enforce the trust ...but also become a slap on the face of pro terrorisim organizations...who want to fan any thing into a full scale media circus for their advantage......

Gives you an Idea as to how Pakistan might use Kashmir if they get it. They have already gifted land that did not belong to them.

I hope CBI finds the truth, I am pretty sure there will be few people who will need to do some answering after this.

Do I need to remind you all that Pakistan's flags were hoisted, India's flags were burned, and Self-determination day was held to mark the occasion of Pakistan Independence day.

That was less than a month ago. This article says nothing about Kashmiris relishing the decline in the independence movement, it only mentions Kashmiris enjoying the fact that the Indian authorities have allowed them to play football.

and do i need to remind you that India is a democratic country where you are allowed to do anything and protest against anything not like pakistan where your own judges are placed under house arrest and the military does w.e. it wants. I can give you 10 articles from news agencies like bbc and cnn which talk about the state of pakistani occupied kashmir where people have no jobs and have no hope. Where on the indian side many kashmiris works in delhi and bombay and enjoy india's growth as much as any other india. Yes there are problems but we know how to deal with them and change is happening. The time is nto far away from Kashmiris will realize truly that staying with India is in their best interest and terrorism will stop. Pakistan cans even handle itself let alone take care of Kashmir so forget about kashmir and handle swat valley first, I know this may offend some people but i just hate people who just cant talk positive, if there is peace in kashmir let it be dude, and stop crying over the same thing again and again lol

Last edited:
eggs and chickens........

But still

I can give you 10 articles from news agencies like bbc and cnn which talk about the state of *** where people have no jobs and have no hope.

They have Pakistan. Bro you are underestimating the pull of Ummah. That is what created Pakistan. That is what encourages Pakistan to keep up the ......

The time is nto far away from Kashmiris will realize truly that staying with India is in their best interest and terrorism will stop. Pakistan cans even handle itself let alone take care of Kashmir so forget about kashmir and handle swat valley first, I know this may offend some people but i just hate people who just cant talk positive, if there is peace in kashmir let it be dude, and stop crying over the same thing again and again lol

For exactly this reason, there is likelyhood of a significant uptick before a final downtick.

The thing is, the Kashmiris on the other side already have a great degree of autonomy and development. There is a huge Kashmir diaspora, both in Pakistan and abroad, and they are extremely wealthy, which means that you have a ton of money going back home and being invested, aside from the development carried out by the government and the military (in terms of infrastructure, schools, clinics etc.).

Can you please share some articles on the development being carried out in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir??

I recently read about the unhapiness in Kashmiri's on the recent Gilgit-Baltistan proposal for governance......So why are the people in *** unhappy even with all the developments and foreign investment??

India is a democratic country where its own army occupies a people who want out of the Indian Union. India is a democratic counctry where it wages war against its neighbouring countries VIA wars to dismember them or absorb them into its country. India is a democratic country where a large proportion of its citizens are denied their rights to demoracy, liberty and life (the dalits) and finally India is a democratic country where it own prime minister has admitted that the naxilities are the greatest threat to its union. The naxalities are happen to be fighting for their rights in a democracy via armed insurrection rights to land life liberty and resources.

In Pak Kashmir they are just unhappy a passing phase but in your kashmir they get shot, killed and raped for being unhappy about your treatment meted out to them At least in Gilgit Balistan they will now be able to have their own province and and run their local affairs to theit wishes one the elections take place..

Back
Top Bottom