What's new

Karnataka corner!

how come Sinhala language is categorized Indo-aryan?

Because the Sinhalese are actually descended from people who migrated from modern-day Orissa and Bengal. They took their Indo-Aryan language with them, but borrowed the script from Southern Brahmi.

I have observed Telgus can read Kannada and vice versa. but, Malayalam script although looks similar is different. however, some words can be readable by Malayalis. learning tamil alphabet is easy(acc. to me). they have no complex alphabets and special symbols etc as we have in Malayalam.

Malayalam and script of Tulu language seems much closer . while, Tamil is more intelligible perhaps than Tulu. if a Tamil speaks to Malyali he may understand and vice versa - not always true.

Tamil is so much different - they have no separate alphabets for separate sounds like we have in other Dravidian/Indo-aryan languages.
Tamil: ka,cha,tha,ta,pa.. not ka,kha,ga,kkha like Kannada or Malaylam have. also, the word formation is also very different:
Prayana(m) is a word for travel in many south Indian languages. while in tamil, they simplicized it into pa-ya-nam.
common example is: you write cricket - as cricket in Kannada or Telgu or Malyalam. in Tamil you write: Ki-ri-ke-t .. name such as "Praveen" as "pi-raveen", the word "ha","sha","ba" are generally ignored.
ki-rik-ket

I have observed Telgus can read Kannada and vice versa. but, Malayalam script although looks similar is different. however, some words can be readable by Malayalis. learning tamil alphabet is easy(acc. to me). they have no complex alphabets and special symbols etc as we have in Malayalam.

Malayalam and script of Tulu language seems much closer . while, Tamil is more intelligible perhaps than Tulu. if a Tamil speaks to Malyali he may understand and vice versa - not always true.

Tamil is so much different - they have no separate alphabets for separate sounds like we have in other Dravidian/Indo-aryan languages.
Tamil: ka,cha,tha,ta,pa.. not ka,kha,ga,kkha like Kannada or Malaylam have. also, the word formation is also very different:
Prayana(m) is a word for travel in many south Indian languages. while in tamil, they simplicized it into pa-ya-nam.
common example is: you write cricket - as cricket in Kannada or Telgu or Malyalam. in Tamil you write: Ki-ri-ke-t .. name such as "Praveen" as "pi-raveen", the word "ha","sha","ba" are generally ignored.
ki-rik-ket

Sinhalas trace their origin to Odisha.

Unless you don't want Sinhalese nationalists coming your way, I would advise not to proceed further.
In real world, I feel Sinhalese and Tamils are almost indistinguishable . I know, Sinhalese claims they are Indo-aryans brings a smile to most Indians and perhaps Pakistanis also, I guess..:azn:

In real world, I feel Sinhalese and Tamils are almost indistinguishable . I know, Sinhalese claims they are Indo-aryans brings a smile to most Indians and perhaps Pakistanis also, I guess..:azn:

But Sri Lanka is better than India and Pakistan?

Malayalam and script of Tulu language seems much closer .

Saar, Tulu has no script (incorrect assumption, look for Edit below). Usually Kannada script is used for writing Tulu, I am not sure whether Malayalam is being used as well.

Edit: Oops ! My mistake. Tulu in fact has a script.

Tulu alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

500px-Tulubashelipi.jpg

Looks like a mixture of Kannada and Malayalam :D

@JanjaWeed

Last edited:

Through intermarriage, they assimilated most of the local island population as Sinhala.

That's because the whole Aryan-Dravidian racial divide itself is a big pile of stinky poo. :lol: Even if there were two races, they've intermingled so thoughly that there are virtually no-one who's DNA isn't an admixture of ANI and ASI genes(in varying degrees, ofcourse).

Saar, Tulu has no script (incorrect assumption, look for Edit below). Usually Kannada script is used for writing Tulu, I am not sure whether Malayalam is being used as well.

Edit: Oops ! My mistake. Tulu in fact has a script.

@JanjaWeed

But Tulu had a separate script before. I don't know why it died out though.

That's because the whole Aryan-Dravidian racial divide itself is a big pile of stinky poo. :lol: Even if there were two races, they've intermingled so thoughly that there are virtually no-one who's DNA isn't an admixture of ANI and ASI genes(in varying degrees, ofcourse).

All South Indians have the part northern ancestry and vice versa. Dravida/Dramila was actually one of the many ancient South Indian tribes, the colonial historians took it and applied on all South Indians and we had Aryan-Dravidian divide crap.

Back
Top Bottom