What's new

Karnataka corner!

@Ravi Nair @kseeker Not everyone is happy with the growing Sanskritification of Dravidian languages though. A few online forums have sprung up that are bringing back original Dravidian words back into usage and appealing their compatriots to include these in their vocabulary.

What are your views on this?

@Indischer ,

Naanu havyaka bhashe kaleelikke tumba prayatna patte aadre safalavagalilla :( Aadre nanage yella artha aagatthe :)

Adanna yengala bhashe anthaanu karitaralva ?

@Indischer ,

Naanu havyaka bhashe kaleelikke tumba prayatna patte aadre safalavagalilla :( Aadre nanage yella artha aagatthe :)

Adanna yengala bhashe anthaanu karitaralva ?

Havyakadalli Halegannada kelavu shabdagalu haagu prakaragalu innoo ulidukondive. Halegannadadalli Nanna badalige Yenna haagu Namma badalige Yangala balake aaguttittu.

@Ravi Nair @kseeker Not everyone is happy with the growing Sanskritification of Dravidian languages though. A few online forums have sprung up that are bringing back original Dravidian words back into usage and appealing their compatriots to include these in their vocabulary.

I am usually pragmatic. The language which makes the most utilitarian sense wins for me.

@Indischer a link to those websites?

IMO, Sanskrit makes dravidian languages very beautiful and meaningful. I like more sanskrit words incorporated in dravidian languages rather than expelling them out. However, it's just me.

Sadly enough, if you consider any Indian language at present, they have lost their original touch as well as most the native words have gone extinct because of growing English influence.

For instance, how many of us construct sentences in our mother tongue without using English word in day to day basis ? Hardly very few ! Don't you agree on this ?

In fact, we need to preserve our own language, try to use words which are hardly used in day to day basis, teach young generations and create awareness about importance of preserving our language heritage.

Guys... Here's an interesting comparison between Kannada and Malayalam

Kannada vs Malayalam | World Languages Comparison

Last edited:
@kseeker @Ravi Nair Many of these groups are active on FB. I keep getting a few such pleas from a friend of mine, who's active on such groups. He was a contributor to this group:ಕನ್ನಡ ಕಲಿ | Kannada Kali

I feel that forcefully bringing extinct words is a bit too chauvinistic, but efforts need to be made to ensure that the present vocabulary isn't degraded further.

only uthara(m) is from Sanskrit.tappu is pure dravida word.

Yeggjaktly! I was only referring to Uttara. :)

Havyakadalli Halegannada kelavu shabdagalu haagu prakaragalu innoo ulidukondive. Halegannadadalli Nanna badalige Yenna haagu Namma badalige Yangala balake aaguttittu.
nanna-yenna,namma-yangala.same in modern Tamil.enna and engala.looks like old Kannada is a dialect of tamil.

In the link you posted, under the section countries the language is spoken, it says United ArabEmirates for Kannada and not for Malayalam.

Wut? How the hell is that possible? Malayalam not spoken in Middle East? :blink:[/quote]

Did you notice the numbers? they look fudged up too. Kannada has 60 million total speakers and yet the world % is 0.8, while Kerala has 35 million total speakers and still has a world % of 1.0....

Back
Top Bottom