What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

PAF K-8 is fitted with Honeywell TFE 731-2A-2A engine with 16.1 KN thrust whereas Chinese JL-8 has more powerful WS-11 engine with 16.9 KN thrust. This translates into K-8 being underpowered with max speed limited to Mach 0.75 and less than 2000 KG load. Our neighbouring IAF has BAE Hawk Jet trainers that boast of Mach 0.84 max and 3,000 KG useful load.

Hence, on paper K-8 falls into the category of Intermediate Trainers. Advanced Jet trainers such as Alenia Aermacchi M-346, T-50 & JL-9 are capable of much higher performance. I have therefore following questions:

1. Does PAF have any plans of fitting a more powerful engine to push the max speed of K-8 to say Mach 0.9?

2. Would PAF induct a supersonic advanced trainer in the foreseeable future?

Apparently the airforce is evaluating the Korean T50

Apparently the airforce is evaluating the Korean T50
they eveauating that and they like it. if they buy enough of them south korea will build a ship yard in gwadar and invest there. but this is unlikely due to financail constraints so the l15 is more of a realistic option.

t50
T-50 trainer.jpg

l15
L-15_06c.jpg

The current training line up seems to be working fine for the PAF, I don't expect a new LIFT until the K-8s age near retirement. At that point I think the PAF is likely to streamline to two core platforms: (1) a turboprop to handle basic and intermediate flight and (2) a LIFT to handle jet and fighter conversion.

The current training line up seems to be working fine for the PAF, I don't expect a new LIFT until the K-8s age near retirement. At that point I think the PAF is likely to streamline to two core platforms: (1) a turboprop to handle basic and intermediate flight and (2) a LIFT to handle jet and fighter conversion.
if you read a magazine article by your airforce chief he said pakistan is not looking fo a lift jet as the dual seat jf17 will fill in the role of some the the lift's requirements.
aTwo Seat JF-17 Thunder 5).jpg

if you read a magazine article by your airforce chief he said pakistan is not looking fo a lift jet as the dual seat jf17 will fill in the role of some the the lift's requirements.View attachment 241314
Depends on the aircraft. Some LIFT may be cheaper to operate than a proper fighter.

Depends on the aircraft. Some LIFT may be cheaper to operate than a proper fighter.
pakistan wants the t50 but it got financial constraints so the l15 may be an option but the jf17 dual seat will have features that make the lift unless so i doubt the lift program will happen the t40 is a good Bird, it can also be used as a light fighter as well

pakistan wants the t50 but it got financial constraints so the l15 may be an option but the jf17 dual seat will have features that make the lift unless so i doubt the lift program will happen the t40 is a good Bird, it can also be used as a light fighter as well
The PAF isn't focused on buying any LIFT systems at the moment, I think it'll consider it after 2020 when the oldest K-8s are due to be retired. At that point they'll probably consider a bigger shift by replacing the K-8s, Mushak and T-37s with something like Hurkus, and K-8 and the FT-7 with a LIFT aircraft.

The PAF isn't focused on buying any LIFT systems at the moment, I think it'll consider it after 2020 when the oldest K-8s are due to be retired. At that point they'll probably consider a bigger shift by replacing the K-8s, Mushak and T-37s with something like Hurkus, and K-8 and the FT-7 with a LIFT aircraft.
the t37 is being replaced by the tai hurkus, Pakistan is not even bothering looking at it as it is still in development and not due to enter service by 2018 after then then yes as turkey has the t-37

also the mushak trainers will be replaced with new models as they are very good air frames or the hurkus but then they will get tot and co produce to make up for ceasing the mushak production.

with the lift program you have a point where the k-8 need to be phased out around 2020 but i will wait and see what happens . but from what i know ,and been told the jf17 dual seat will temporary take the lead trainer role unitll a full time successor has been chosen. i think they will get the l15 but the t-50 is better. it will have the same engines as the hal tejas mkII

It'll largely depend on what costs less to operate per flight. While a two seat JF-17 may cost less from an acquisition standpoint, a smaller LIFT may be more economical.

It'll largely depend on what costs less to operate per flight. While a two seat JF-17 may cost less from an acquisition standpoint, a smaller LIFT may be more economical.
thats the problems a new lift will be more economical and makes more sense but Pakistan just simply can't afford what it wants

thats the problems a new lift will be more economical and makes more sense but Pakistan just simply can't afford what it wants
I think a LIFT might be possible once the JF-17 inductions come to a close in the early 2020s. By then a number of the K-8s may also be due for replacing.

Stranger things have happened so let's wait for the moment and not pre judge.

Just a nice pic

Attachments

• 1438346725278.jpg
    1438346725278.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom