What's new

Karachi defended by various political parties against terrorists

American Eagle

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
A very good Pakistani friend of ours has recently returned for several months in Karachi. He told us that various parts of the huge city of Karachi, where I was stationed at the old US Embassy 1963-65, is an armed camp, with various parts of the city under the armed protection of the various political parties, PPP, Muslim League, and such.

This to me as an outside American observer that there is no unity of purpose in the national nor provincial Sind Government, let along in the City of Karachi per se.

This is very sad news and suggests that quasi-anarchy is now the norm there.

CORRECTED FOR TYPOS VERSION.

A very good Pakistani friend of ours has recently returned from several months in Karachi. He told us that various parts of the huge city of Karachi, where I was stationed at the old US Embassy 1963-65, is an armed camp, with various parts of the city under the armed protection of the various political parties, PPP, Muslim League, and such.

This says to me as an outside American observer that there is no unity of purpose in the national nor provincial Sind Government, let alone in the City of Karachi per se.

So just as an observer sitting outside what can you suggest or analyse Sir about the situation since you been here very long time ago.

Sir Your title also appears misleading as well. Karachi is never defended by political parties instead it was destroyed. The political parties just find terrorist word as an excuse for the arms they possess.

I also want to suggest to you Sir that this topic has been discussed in depth on this forum so you should update your self a little about the current situation in Karachi.I can tell you that it is stable.

This is very sad news and suggests that quasi-anarchy is now the norm there

Thanks for your concerns.

CORRECTED FOR TYPOS VERSION.

A very good Pakistani friend of ours has recently returned from several months in Karachi. He told us that various parts of the huge city of Karachi, where I was stationed at the old US Embassy 1963-65, is an armed camp, with various parts of the city under the armed protection of the various political parties, PPP, Muslim League, and such.

This says to me as an outside American observer that there is no unity of purpose in the national nor provincial Sind Government, let alone in the City of Karachi per se.

Well, the title is extremely misleading. Political parties themselves are responsible for current anarchy in Karachi, they are not at all defending the city. Chaos in Karachi is purely political in origin, political motivated people from various parties are engaged in gang-war. And Muslim league is no where in Karachi so kindly take it out from the equation.

Yes It could be said, but not exactly, political parties are defending the city against terrorists if terrorists are Taliban (most of the political parties are anti-Taliban).

This is very sad news and suggests that quasi-anarchy is now the norm there

I completely agree.

My friend from Karachi, where he owns a home, just came back to the States to spend time with his son and grandaugher.
So, his comments to us over dinner in our home, he being our guest, were fresh from Karachi as of one week ago.

Obviously anyone else such as yourself living there has first hand on going daily awareness, too.

Question: Which part of Karachi do you live in and which political party "protects" your residential area?

You are correct that I lived there long ago, 1963-65. We lived in Embassy housing in P.E.C.H.S. I had good Pakistani friends who lived in the Clifton area.

Be very interested in what and all you factually have to say. I have been ill and thus not on this site for the past several months. I am in my early 70s now, not a young kid, so I envy your seeming youth.

Have a good rest of the week.

My friend from Karachi, where he owns a home, just came back to the States to spend time with his son and grandaugher.
So, his comments to us over dinner in our home, he being our guest, were fresh from Karachi as of one week ago.

Obviously anyone else such as yourself living there has first hand on going daily awareness, too.

Question: Which part of Karachi do you live in and which political party "protects" your residential area?

You are correct that I lived there long ago, 1963-65. We lived in Embassy housing in P.E.C.H.S. I had good Pakistani friends who lived in the Clifton area.

Be very interested in what and all you factually have to say. I have been ill and thus not on this site for the past several months. I am in my early 70s now, not a young kid, so I envy your seeming youth.

I am a "Karachiite", born in Karachi, go there every summer. My whole family lives in Karachi, all over the city. There is nothing about Karachi I don't know. I've worked in Korangi Industrial Area & Malir as well.

My relatives live in Defence, Clifton, Zamzama, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Gulistan-e-Jauhar, North Nazimabad, Federal-B Area, Sadr, areas close to Tariq Road, Landhi, Orangi, Karsaaz as well as other areas.

Most of Karachi is perfectly fine. It is the areas that are 'tightly contested' by the Urdu speakers & the Pakhtuns, like Gulistan-e-Jauhar, & some areas close to Korangi Industrial Area, that pose the biggest problems: ethnic conflict. Some of these areas tend to be MQM strongholds, while there may be pockets of ANP support. Then there tend to be poor areas of Karachi, like Lyari, that attract gang wars. Then there is land mafia as well. There might be 'a sleeper cell or two' in there as well.

Karachi does not have any real terrorism problem, it is basically ethnic violence between the MQM & the ANP, & the PPP just 'enjoying' the spectacle.

There is good news though: there was a 'cleaning up' operation inside Karachi, where action against the MQM was taken, many sleeper cells in Lyari were busted, as well as support for terrorists. Things are getting much better now that action has taken place, & will continue.

Karachi has developed leaps & bounds since the last time you were in Karachi, you will be very surprised at how much it has prospered in the last 15 years. It sometimes reminds me a bit of New York city, with its pockets of shady areas like East Brooklyn, South Bronx, parts of Queens etc; but full of life & activity. Please visit this thread if you want to see how Karachi has developed:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/3713-pictures-cities-karachi-61.html

Good night sir. Regards.

Back
Top Bottom