What's new

Jinnah was not Iqbal’s first choice to lead the Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post noted below is just my observation and in my opinion the hidden agenda as to why the article in question was written. Therefore the conclusions are open to question.

During the 70 odd years since the independence, I have seen a shift on the emphasis from the Quaid to Allama Iqbal. In my early youth, the parades and celebrations were on the Independence Day and only an official holiday on the 23rd of March. Now it is the other way round and 23rd March is celebrated as Pakistan day and 14th of August as just another holiday.

Looking at the history of these two great men, one finds that personal views of the Quaid were of on the secular side as expressed in the address to the Legislative Assembly on August 11, 1947. The Quaid was never famous for his praying or fasting and also known to have occasionally partaken alcohol.

Allama Iqbal even though from a religious household was also not known for his piety. Understand that Allama liked music and despite being married, has a long affair with Miss Atia Faizi; can we be sure that it was entirely Platonic!

It is well known that the Allama never used the word ‘Pakistan’ in any of his writings and he was probably for an autonomous Muslim state within the Indian federation. Besides there were significant differences between Maulana Madani of Deobnad and about the how ‘Quom’ of nationhood is defined. The Allama never joined Khilafat movement. Allama even derided Ottomans as being shame to Muslims. Allama also wrote favourably about

Zahid-e-taang nazar ne mujhe kafir jana,
Aur kafir samajhta hai Mussalman hoon mein

The religious bigot considers me an infidel
and the infidel deems me a Muslim

At another place Iqbal wrote:

“Deen –e kafir fikro tadbir e jihad

Deene e mulla fi sabil allah fassaad”

Nevertheless, Allama Iqbal; despite his flirtations with the Qadianis; was far more of an Islamist. Nearly all of his writings accept very few such as “sare jahan se acha Hindustan hamara” celebrate past glory of the Muslims. He is obviously a better example for converting Pakistan from a Muslim State to an orthodox Islamic State especially because of his views about democracy being not an ideal model because it relied on numbers and not individual talent & merit. And the Iqbal’s new Muslim man ‘ the Momin’ was a person who would base his national identity on distinctive cultural nation hood rather than just his place of birth.

In my view it was because of the above as the time passes Allama Iqbal Iqbal is getting more & more prominence and superseding father of the Nation Quaid e Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah in importance.

I noticed the change during the time of the bigot Zia. I consider this direct influence of Jamaat Islami influence. One can understand that it must very painful for the Jamaat Islami and other anti-Muslim League and anti-Pakistan parties, especially the Taliban lovers like Munawwar Hassan to hang the photo of the person they called the ‘Kafir e Azam’ in their offices.

Since I have deep admiration for both the great men, as long Quaid’s photo hangs alongside Allama Iqbal, it is okay with me.

Nevertheless, Allama Iqbal; despite his flirtations with the Qadianis;
One has to acknowledge that prior to the deviant teachings, Mirza Ghulam Qadiyani was gaining a lot of fame to his reformist yet concrete(in theology and base) ideals and a lot of respected scholars considered moderates wrote in his praise.

That is where it is alleged that the British caught wind and then acted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom