What's new

JF-17B - EW 'Growler'

Its a waste of time to argue clueless fanboys like you. Instead of understanding the fact, they would instead pretend to know more than the parties making, using and equipping the damn thing.

Chinese ew offered could barely match the performance of ALQ131 ecm pod which was the reason why we had look for other options. Same was the case with targeting pod and several other systems. Even now despite all the hype PAF had alternate arrangements in place.

Hype all you like about your technology.
and you are labeled as think tank?? c'mon PDF```` do you even have the slightest clue of the basic terminology and common sense, or you even up to the latest aviation technology?````EW pod is an EW pod, and a dedicated EW plane is an EW plane```the former one is mainly for multi-mission and self-defense purpose, can hardly take a serious SEAD or DEAD missions , and the latter one is a professional plane only for electronic warfare!!!````the amount of energy required, specially designed bits and bots, the price, and the amount of frequency it can deal with at same time plus the range of effects are far far far greater than a regular fighter plane that carry few EW pods.

you want a tiny JF-17 to be developed as a dedicated EW fighter like J-16D and EF-18?? lol````let me know anyone on this earth can do it for the time being, I will let my circle of people know, that they are "$ucks"```:lol:```and for your ignorance, J-16D costs much more than China's latest stealth fighter J-20, I will tell you this much`!!

and please dont speak your ignorance over our military capability, we know where we are```and also we know, Japan and S.Koran is crying over U.S daddy's shoulder about PLAAF's electronic warfare capability. they are dying to buy America's EF-18 no matter how much it will cost to get even with PLAAF over East China sea``````

so on this topic of whether CAC is developing an EW version of JF-17 or not```the answer is no, and it is not a matter of different opinion!

and you are labeled as think tank?? c'mon PDF```` do you even have the slightest clue of the basic terminology and common sense, or you even up to the latest aviation technology?````EW pod is an EW pod, and a dedicated EW plane is an EW plane```the former one is mainly for multi-mission and self-defense purpose, can hardly take a serious SEAD or DEAD missions , and the latter one is a professional plane only for electronic warfare!!!````the amount of energy required, specially designed bits and bots, the price, and the amount of frequency it can deal with at same time plus the range of effects are far far far greater than a regular fighter plane that carry few EW pods.

you want a tiny JF-17 to be developed as a dedicated EW fighter like J-16D and EF-18?? lol````let me know anyone on this earth can do it for the time being, I will let my circle of people know, that they are "$ucks"```:lol:```and for your ignorance, J-16D costs much more than China's latest stealth fighter J-20, I will tell you this much`!!

and please dont speak your ignorance over our military capability, we know where we are```and also we know, Japan and S.Koran is crying over U.S daddy's shoulder about PLAAF's electronic warfare capability. they are dying to buy America's EF-18 no matter how much it will cost to get even with PLAAF over East China sea``````

so on this topic of whether CAC is developing an EW version of JF-17 or not```the answer is no, and it is not a matter of different opinion!

Show me where i claimed it to be a "growler level upgrade".

Waiting.

It appears to me, as the comments by Messiach indicate, that the Block 3 twin seater is being developed with a SEAD/DEAD capability in mind. This is something the PAF badly needs, since the US withheld Wild Weasel gear from the PAF's F-16s.

It would help to put your point across if you said that a SEAD aircraft is not the same as a Growler/J-16D type dedicated jamming aircraft. The JF-17 is completely unsuitable for a dedicated jammer role because it doesn't have the electrical power output of a twin engine plane, doesn't have the internal space for all the electronics needed, and doesn't have the endurance that such an aircraft will require in the air. However, all this doesn't preclude it from acquiring SEAD capability.

If they really are looking in this direction, it indicates that the PAF has started taking EW and SAM suppression seriously after all. Maybe wishes do grow on trees and maybe, just maybe, I will see my wish of the Block 3 carrying towed and expendable decoys fulfilled :)

first you need to clear this concept```SEAD and DEAD is a type of mission, even a piston plane can do that job, if it can rain down chaffs to disturbing signals and throw a hand grenade over a signal tower```````joke```

An EW pod that enables multi-role fighter to have resonable electronic warfare capability during air battle or strike mission when professional EW fighters like TU-154, EF-111A, EA6B, EF-18G and J-16Ds are not aviable`````I cant go into details of why they are so different due to my English level, and dont know many terminologies in this language```````however, as I said before, JF-17 and its newer versions are more than capable to carry out SEAD and DEAD missions with EW pods```````

Show me where i claimed it to be a "growler level upgrade".

Waiting.
an EW fighter is an EW fighter, no matter which level it is`````track and am XXX types of frequences at same time, creating XXXX square kms of "black whole" is the standard requirement for example`````tell me on this earth which multi-role fighters with few EW pods can do that job`````?

and you cant just "upgrade" a plane to an EW fighter,(almost everything inside, apart from engine, is different with considerable structual changes!!!!)`````its amateur's talk

first you need to clear this concept```SEAD and DEAD is a type of mission, even a piston plane can do that job, if it can rain down chaffs to disturbing signals and throw a hand grenade over a signal tower```````joke```

An EW pod that enables multi-role fighter to have resonable electronic warfare capability during air battle or strike mission when professional EW fighters like TU-154, EF-111A, EA6B, EF-18G and J-16Ds are not aviable`````I cant go into details of why they are so different due to my English level, and dont know many terminologies in this language```````however, as I said before, JF-17 and its newer versions are more than capable to carry out SEAD and DEAD missions with EW pods```````

Your last para and my argument stand in agreement. The whole point of having an EW variant was to have a crucial WW component. Though the burden is with the f-16s with ALQ131/ 211s but they cannot be customized. Same with DA-20s.

An EW equipped jf-17 will provide the freedom PAF never had. Though it will still not be frying radars and electronics, the spoofing and jamming can be used to confuse the enemy to the required extent.

Major Issue: Less number of hard points.

2 x wingtips can use detection pods.
1 x mid pylon for High Band jamming pod
1 x mid pylon for Low band jamming pod
2 x inner pylons for MAR-1
1 x center-line for fuel

Where will A2A missiles go.
Less Range.
Nor sure if wet pylons can carry Mar-1
That's what is the question the jet too small & short range to Carry ew ware and also its powered via the jets engine is the single engine up to task ??

Unless we r working with Chinese on their version of next gen jammer where one pod can perform job of 3 with little energy requirements

Last edited:
Your last para and my argument stand in agreement. The whole point of having an EW variant was to have a crucial WW component. Though the burden is with the f-16s with ALQ131/ 211s but they cannot be customized. Same with DA-20s.

An EW equipped jf-17 will provide the freedom PAF never had. Though it will still not be frying radars and electronics, the spoofing and jamming can be used to confuse the enemy to the required extent.
BLOCK III has the capability, not to mention the new pods, the new AESA radar (has three panels) has more spoofing or jamming channels than anything IAF's fighters have at the moment```there are few modes of LPIR that this radar has, that you can track enemy's target without being noticed````

I will tell you what the circle "allows" me to know```the JF-17 BLOCK III is no cheap fighter, its catered into PAF's needs````it can carry air-to-air, air-to-ground, air-to-sea, and basic EW tasks````they say, there is even better kits if you have more money````````

BLOCK III has the capability, not to mention the new pods, the new AESA radar (has three panels) has more spoofing or jamming channels than anything IAF's fighters have at the moment```there are few modes of LPIR that this radar has, that you can track enemy's target without being noticed````

Are you claiming that the three panel version of KLJ-7 has been chosen for blk 3?

Are you claiming that the three panel version of KLJ-7 has been chosen for blk 3?
I have asked them````most of fans believe they will use the cheaper air-cool one``````but, they said no (this one for sure)`````so what other options left for us? unless there is another one that I am "not allowed" to know yet```````

well, we can place a bet on it, make it more exciting?```at least I can make something out of it, instead of being called hype (by none-Chinese) or none-patriotic pessi (by crazy Chinese fans) just because I like to pop others delusion and ignorance``:lol:```

I have asked them````most of fans believe they will use the cheaper air-cool one``````but, they said no (this one for sure)`````so what other options left for us? unless there is another one that I am "not allowed" to know yet```````

well, we can place a bet on it, make it more exciting?```unless I can make something out of it, instead of being called hype (by none-Chinese) or none-patriotic pessi (by crazy Chinese fans) just because I like to pop others delusion and ignorance``:lol:```

Was it not the NRIET spokesperson who mentioned that the PAF chose the swashplate version during the interview?

Was it not the NRIET spokesperson who mentioned that the PAF chose the swashplate version during the interview?
institution 14 has developed quite alot AESA radars, and it is one of the main radar suppliers of PLA```as I said Block III is using a sepcially catered AESA radar```

China has showed three types of export version AESA radars to public, and one thing for sure is that the air cooled AESA wasnt the one that chosen for Block III project, and another thing for sure is that Block III's radar is going to be AESA```I cant tell you this much`````

That's what is the question the jet too small & short range to Carry ew ware and also its powered via the jets engine is the single engine up to task ??

Unless we r working with Chinese on their version of next gen jammer where one pod can perform job of 3 with little energy requirements
if you know jamming, you would understand power/energy requirements.

Back
Top Bottom